Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Corsair stright in ? Help

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Corsair stright in ? Help

Old 08-09-2003, 01:39 PM
GLG1811

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair stright in ? Help

I was flying my pacific model Corsair on 8-6, it was flying good, the 25th flight when i decided to do a power off stall. The first one went good, and recovered it no problem. The second time not so good as it snapped into a roll i thought i had it pulled out, but it went right into another one then stright down, and had no control to pull it up. I had lots of altitude too. Tried everything, and pulled back on the stick hoping it would pull out , but no luck. The plane went in like a rocket. I hope someone out there can help me to understand what happened. After the plane was brought back i tested the control surfaces, and they worked except for the throttle one which was in pieces. Has anybody else had this problem before? I thought full oped would pull it out, but it didn't so i backed off on it, and still no luck. Hope somebody can help that had a experence like this. Thanks, Gary
Old 08-09-2003, 09:00 PM

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM
GLG1811

Ya that was the case, i gave it full power, then tried full up, then backed off on the power, and tried the elevator again with no luck. What caused this not to respond? Gary
Old 08-10-2003, 10:23 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

Thats called an accelerated stall. This happens most frequently in warbirds, because of thier airfoil shape and high wing loadings. When you pulled back, it was too much force, and the airflow over the top of the wings became turbulent, creating a stalled wing. Next time the way to do that is once it stalls, just don't touch the elevator for a second and let it fly down. Slowly add power and then gently pull up. If you have another plane, especially a warbird, fly around at a lesiurely pace. Then, just quickly give it full up elevator. It will immediatly stall and drop, without having first gained an inch of altitude. I actually did this with an Extra. Came out of a flat spin, released the controls for a milli second, then I gave it full up elevator because I was close to the ground. Looking back, had I just let go for an extra second and slowly added up elevator, I would have made it. Instead I broke out the firewall. Sorry about your loss, but consider it an excuse to save up for a new plane.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Longaly

GLG,

First off, sorry about your loss. Now, if I'm not mistaken, ANY up elevator before the aircraft obtains sufficient airflow over the wing to create lift will only aggravate the stall, no matter how much power you throw at it.

The way I was taught was full power, neutral or even a little down elevator to gain airspeed and airflow and then slowly ad in up elevator to level out.

Again, sorry about your loss.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

So far all replies are correct as far as letting the model "fly again" before giving input. Speaking from experience, with the R/C Corsair and full scale spin training, the rudder must be used to stop the spin. While doing spin training in a Cessna 150 Aerobat, my instructor would demonstrate spin recovery with neutral aileron/elevator and full, opposite the spin, rudder. Once the spin stops the speed is up enough so the ailerons are effective as well as the elevator to pull the nose up. It took me a few tries to even get the 150 to spin, because I'd recover before it developed into a full spin. Once into a real spin though the ailerons and elevator are real soft because of the low air speed, rendering them ineffective. The rudder is also real soft but as the speed picks up the pressure is felt, by that time the spin has stopped so you let off it and recover with ailerons and elevator.
As far as R/C Corsairs, I crashed my Dad's kit built plane TWICE from spins. This was before full scale spin training, now I spin all my planes just to practice. None so far compare to the funny wing Corsair, I think they spin easily and from different attitudes. But like any spin, the airspeed has to be way down for the spin to develop. Practice spin training with something you fly often and are comfortable with, before moving to the Corsair. It takes awhile to get the hang of it but it works.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:57 PM
GLG1811

Thanks guys, I also have a p-47 & a p-51 which i never tried to stall them out like the corsair. The reason was i wanted to see what kind of reaction i would get. We were flying the p-40, and on final it just snaped to the right, and went stright in lucky from a low altitude so i wanted to see what happens when the Corsair did the same thing of course from what i thought was a safe altitude. Anyway all of the above comments make lots of sense. I'll never do that again thanks to the input from this. Thanks alot, Gary Grassfield RC Mpls.