Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Is it just a bad day? or just me?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Is it just a bad day? or just me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just a bad day? or just me?

So I managed to get off work earlly today and thought " man Im gonna go flying". Anyways so I load up and go to the feild, get the planes out and I fly my Seagull Superstar 120 first, made a few passes, a few touch and goes and then! Bam my landing gear buckles and rips out from under it. Ok, its a cleane break I can fix that and i put it back in the truck. So I decide well I will fly this new flatout I just got over the weekend, Ive never flown it before, Ok so I got a tank ran thrue it and shes FAST, Its got an os 46AX on it. Made severall touch and goes and was getting the feel of it and so I took it up high and proceeded to put it into a dive at full throttle, and shes moveing at this point then SNAP! it had fluttered and ripped the rear stablizer off, I had no control and I planted it! So I then had to make the all dreaded walk of shame, or is it defeat? I dont think its rebuildable, do you? Im sorry but these are cell phone pics so I know there not the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49966.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1579390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69676.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1579391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31068.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1579392  
Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Is it just a bad day? or just me?

Oh heck YEAH that's rebuildable from what I can see in those images.

Chop off the nose just ahead of the WLE, sister in some new wood there, make a new stab, and you're off!

And hey...it's not just you.  I've had an 0 for FOUR day before.  *lol*

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

So I decide well I will fly this new flatout I just got over the weekend, Ive never flown it before, Ok so I got a tank ran thrue it and shes FAST, Its got an os 46AX on it. Made severall touch and goes and was getting the feel of it and so I took it up high and proceeded to put it into a dive at full throttle, and shes moveing at this point then SNAP! it had fluttered and ripped the rear stablizer off, I had no control and I planted it! So I then had to make the all dreaded walk of shame, or is it defeat? I dont think its rebuildable, do you? Im sorry but these are cell phone pics so I know there not the best.
Okay, I just gotta ask... Why would you put any plane in a full throttle dive? much less doing it on the maiden flight? It's hard to tell for sure from the cell phone pic's, but it looks like it's rebuildable. Besides, they're ALL rebuildable. The question is, do you think it's worth the time and expense to rebuild it?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
SCOTT42

Well it wasnt on the maiden flight, I got a tank or two out of it first. Why would I put it in a dive at full throttle? Why not? If it holds then I know Ive got a good plane, if not then ??? its something I typeically wouldnt do but I did with this one and paid the price for it. It could be rebuilt in time but I havent made the decision to do it or not yet. Either way it was kinda cool to watch, didnt care much for the pucker feeling though!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Well, as long as you're aware of the possible consequences and don't mind losing a plane, I guess it would be kinda cool to watch. Would you consider the speed you reached to be that plane's terminal velocity?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42
Why would I put it in a dive at full throttle? Why not?
AMEN!

What a great answer

Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
SCOTT42

Well Ive been working on the seagull allday today, Im allmost certain that once I get the seagull fixed i will take a closer look at it, as of now it hangs in its spot as a reminder to get it fixed.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM
richardgerardi

I would call it a good day. You are off from work and flying how bad can it really be?? Besides there are more of them where they came from.