Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
twinbrother
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

I am 100% in agreement with you there flyallday. The ARF is for people who don't have the time or experience to do a full build. There should be a minimum amount of assurance that your plane will hold together in the air and on the ground during normal flight. "The firewall shouldn't be falling off" on a nose over. There is nothing "custom" about that.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
tmaucher

Just to put in my two cents worth, the firewalls are intentionally weak to be a breaking point for wrecks so it will obsorb some of the collision but try to not damage the vastly more expensive motor. Same could be said of the nylon bolts to hold the wing on instead of the metal bolts. Just like all real vehicles and crumple zone. Now to be fair it seams that some of the hanger nine planes where designed to have complete failure but I have reinforced the firewalls and wing joints. I currently have two the 60 size mustang and the corsair, both I bought used the mustang with the firewall pulled out that I repaired so fly them like you own them and have fun. ps Im puttting a YS 120 in the corsair so I will have to use throttle management. good luck and hanger nine get your stuff in order on your new line of arfs.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 PM
flyallday

ORIGINAL: tmaucher

Just to put in my two cents worth, the firewalls are intentionally weak to be a breaking point for wrecks so it will obsorb some of the collision but try to not damage the vastly more expensive motor.
This actually gave me a chuckle. Thanks

Harry

Old 04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
twinbrother

I had to laugh at that one too. Let me break this down, the engineers had to find a balance point between holding an engine or motor together to the firewall that spins a prop at 9,000-15,000 rpms and also have the firewall give away on a crash so the engine or motor doesn't get damaged as much. Hmmmm, learn something new everyday. OMG.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmaucher

Just to put in my two cents worth, the firewalls are intentionally weak to be a breaking point for wrecks so it will obsorb some of the collision but try to not damage the vastly more expensive motor.
That was worth way more the 2 cents. I enjoyed that one alot!Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Johnnie Red

How many years are you into this hobby guys? Not so long I recon. So you may laugh as much as you please but laughter doesn't make you better pilots or better builders either.
All your allegations for H9 are for laughter!!! Try to fly the planes in a correct manner. This is the trick. You all have to learn to fly instead of being weenies and be honest to yourselves and to the rest. I would like to see you in a video how you all fly and then I get the critisism about H9. Until then I have my doubts about these allegations since I fly the birds and I see no problem about the way they are built.
Now if you want to fly flying bricks, I assure you they fly worse. And even these bricks full of cement they usualy break when they meet with the ground.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM
twinbrother

So Johnnie Red, what you're saying is if you buy a product, like a car, and nothing goes wrong with it, there is absolutely no way that anyone else buying the same type of car should have any problems with it? You're saying that if you have your car, drive it around for 10 years, have no problems with it, then it is impossible for anyone else who buys a Honda Accord to have brake problems, engine problems, over heating problems, or any kind of problems at all down the line? You're saying all other Honda Accords must run perfect like yours and if they don't, the other people must be smoking something? OMG man, OMG. That's all I have to say.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: flyallday

ORIGINAL: Johnnie Red

At the end of the day, keep in mind that the companies make these ARF's for the experienced modellers. If somebody see that one part might collapse at his personal way of flying he just reienforce this part and everything is all right. Companies cannot make custom made production for anyone.

Happy flyin'
J.R.
I disagree with your assessment on ARF's. I think the ARF is created for those of us that do not have the ability, time or experience for modeling. Not having glue where it should be has nothing to do with ''custom''. There is nothing ''custom'' in having your firewall fall out. Just my opinion here.

Harry

And Harry,

If you are inexperienced my dear; you do not start with a F4U Corsair, because your experience will be the same with twinbrother's!!

There are other planforms to start e.g. Trainers...These ones are made from the factory to absorb a lot of punishment from the newbies and the average Sunday pilots that do not know how to hold the power.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: twinbrother

So Johnnie Red, what you're saying is if you buy a product, like a car, and nothing goes wrong with it, there is absolutely no way that anyone else buying the same type of car should have any problems with it? You're saying that if you have your car, drive it around for 10 years, have no problems with it, then it is impossible for anyone else who buys a Honda Accord to have brake problems, engine problems, over heating problems, or any kind of problems at all down the line? You're saying all other Honda Accords must run perfect like yours and if they don't, the other people must be smoking something? OMG man, OMG. That's all I have to say.
No I do not say that. I just say that I have more than 6 warbirds from Hangar 9 and I do not have these problems that you are mentioning.
In the contrary through the years I have met with people that because they were not capable of flying these birds, for every misshap they had ; immediately they have thrown the blame to the manufacturers. For God sakes the manufacturers cannot make bullet proof designs!!!
Planes breakdown, even real full scale if the pilots aren't cautious.
Try not to mix-up cars with planes. They are completely different items.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM
twinbrother

Johnnie Red, you're not reading the posts man. I already said the firewall came off on a nose over and the wings failed in flight during normal flight. It was screaming past at 130 mph. I'm not talking bullet proof here. I'm talking about normal flight situations where the plane should hold together. I've been in this hobby for nearly 8 years. I know what I'm doing when it comes to flying and building. There is no way you can tell me it's okay for the above 2 things to happen for any ARF, no matter who the manufacturer.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Johnnie Red

Johnnie Red, you're not reading the posts man. I already said the firewall came off on a nose over and the wings failed in flight during normal flight. It was screaming past at 130 mph. I'm not talking bullet proof here. I'm talking about normal flight situations where the plane should hold together. I've been in this hobby for nearly 8 years. I know what I'm doing when it comes to flying and building. There is no way you can tell me it's okay for the above 2 things to happen for any ARF, no matter who the manufacturer.
Well the question is how many flights had your plane before the misshap. And about the quality of them. You have already stated of one landing that led to your firewall damage. Only God knows how many more stress situations you probably have put your bird to...before giving up the spirit.

P.S. I am into this hobby for more than 25 years..
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
twinbrother

You're working way too hard defending Hangar 9. I would defend Top-Flite all day, but even I will admit that manufacturers have problems and no one can build a perfect plane. And if Top-flite had a bad plane, I would say even they are capable of engineering something bad. You're working just way too hard defending them, like they're perfect. Sounds like you have some kind of vested interest.

And yeah, 25 years sounds better than 8 years, but that doesn't say much. I've met guys at the field who have flown for over 20 years and they're still stuck in the dark ages, knowing nothing about kv ratings, amps, etcs. Years of experience doesn't necessarily mean someone knows more than the other guy.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Johnnie Red

No dear. I am not working hard to defend nobody. I just state the facts. I am flying also full scale and beleive me I know what I am telling you.
Now because you have thrown me the glove....I send it back to you....

Here is one of my typical flights I fly one of your favorites a P-51 Giant T.F. (ARF version)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_-Uq***II

I am waiting to see your flights....
Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
twinbrother

Hahaha, thrown you the glove? What in the world are you talking about. I'm just saying that the firewall shouldn't be falling off on a nose over and the wings should stay on during normal flight. And I watched that video, that's exactly how I fly. I don't hot dog or do anything crazy. Someone needs to go take a chill pill before their wings fall off.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Johnnie Red

well a nose over, a ground loop in general aviation is enough for the plane to be GROUNDED! And have a thorough check for structural damage.

If you were cautious as you said you would have been able to see the stress or fatigue on your wings while you were rebuilding the fuselage from the first structural failure caused at that particular time.

The bell rings that at this nose over (it might have been a hard one) you have damaged also the wing . The most probable is that you didn;t gave the attention needed then...and you ended up with a broken airplane.

The video I have sent is a proof that my 25 years are active! I am not taliking nonsense because I talk with proofs on my side.

In the contrary I see a lot here that lacks of proof and there is were the chill-pill is addressed ... Opinions and allegations that are not backed up with proofs are irresponsible....
Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
twinbrother

A simple nose over causes the wings to fail in mid-air....hahahahaha. Dude, I have to laugh at that one. OMG man...OMG. Funny thing, my nose over on my CMPro Spitfire didn't tear out the wings. And I've nosed that over way more than my Hangar 9 Corsair. I've only nosed over my Hangar 9 Corsair once, and you say it caused the wings to fail. Man, my Spitfire should have failed ages ago then. Let me go talk to the plane and see why the wings held together. I'll get back to you on that....funny stuff man.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Johnnie Red

A simple nose over causes the wings to fail in mid-air....hahahahaha. Dude, I have to laugh at that one. OMG man...OMG. Funny thing, my nose over on my CMPro Spitfire didn't tear out the wings. And I've nosed that over way more than my Hangar 9 Corsair. I've only nosed over my Hangar 9 Corsair once, and you say it caused the wings to fail. Man, my Spitfire should have failed ages ago then. Let me go talk to the plane and see why the wings held together. I'll get back to you on that....funny stuff man.
You are a funny guy man! I bet that the H9 Corsair you broke down will not be the last plane that you will break. Beware for the next one you'll break in the coming week.

Either you change the way you think or you'll have a lot of toothpics coming!!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
flyallday

And Harry,

If you are inexperienced my dear; you do not start with a F4U Corsair, because your experience will be the same with twinbrother's!!

There are other planforms to start e.g. Trainers...These ones are made from the factory to absorb a lot of punishment from the newbies and the average Sunday pilots that do not know how to hold the power.

[/quote]

I take your comments with offense. I have been flying since 1981 which has nothing to do with the OP. I do not own a Corsair but do own 2 other H9 planes a Pawnee and a Camel which are both very sturdy planes for the limited flying skills I have retained. The fact that twinbrother has what seems like an inferior built model has escaped what you have absorbed from reading this thread. With that said, I do make my planes into bricks for the likely encounter with mother earth. This is a forum that helps others with there issues and personally think there is no room for your demeaning comments.

Respectfully,

Harry

Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
tmaucher

ORIGINAL: flyallday

And Harry,

I take your comments with offense. I have been flying since 1981 which has nothing to do with the OP. I do not own a Corsair but do own 2 other H9 planes a Pawnee and a Camel which are both very sturdy planes for the limited flying skills I have retained. The fact that twinbrother has what seems like an inferior built model has escaped what you have absorbed from reading this thread. With that said, I do make my planes into bricks for the likely encounter with mother earth. This is a forum that helps others with there issues and personally think there is no room for your demeaning comments.

Respectfully,

Harry

[/quote]
I would like to be offended with you it was a couple of posts ago when you pompously and your twin had a laugh at my expense, now Im sure you all graduated from mit with engineering degrees, but the point I made about a failure point is common knowledge in the engineering world. Im not saying that they intentionally made a failure point in normal use, and obviously your twin got a bad one from china. Quality control is not the best when its slave labor, but the questions that others ask of flying level and conditions are still valid. Sorry about your feelings and I hope your twin gets some satisfaction from hanger nine. Ive found it to be a stand up company with above average customer service and there planes fly fantastically. You may try to call them again and check the attitude a little, just a guess that there might have been some tude involved.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
flyallday

[/quote]
I would like to be offended with you it was a couple of posts ago when you pompously and your twin had a laugh at my expense, now Im sure you all graduated from mit with engineering degrees, but the point I made about a failure point is common knowledge in the engineering world. Im not saying that they intentionally made a failure point in normal use, and obviously your twin got a bad one from china. Quality control is not the best when its slave labor, but the questions that others ask of flying level and conditions are still valid. Sorry about your feelings and I hope your twin gets some satisfaction from hanger nine. Ive found it to be a stand up company with above average customer service and there planes fly fantastically. You may try to call them again and check the attitude a little, just a guess that there might have been some tude involved.
[/quote]

Your comment regarding a built in weak point in the firewall did give me a chuckle and was not meant to be taken as an insult, just another way of looking at why there are areas in ARF's that lack basic construction with the proper amount of glue to hold it together. I am in the process of repairing a World Models plane that was missing at least 50% of the glue holding the wing together. As far as flying skills go.. everyone crashes, newbies and vets alike, same outcome - splinters. And, I dont know if you have ever been in a Chinese factory - I have and manufacture there. It is not slave labor and the quality is determined by the customer and the factory owner and how much the customer will pay for good quality. In the factories we use, the workers are fed, clothed and housed and paid very well for China. You can find the slave labor in the clothing factories right here in Los Angeles!

Pompously,

Harry

Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
twinbrother

FlyAllDay, you are right on the money. The Chinese factories produce quality products if Americans are willing to pay for it. They are able to make good quality products and it's all based on what Americans are willing to pay. I know people who deal directly with Chinese companies and they do make good products. If we actually had the same products made in China produced here, all of us would be paying 3x the cost for everything. Your t-shirt that's $10 is now $30 just because Americans made it. That same ARF plane would be double the price. And slave labor is everywhere, even in the US. Americans just don't turn a blind eye.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Johnnie Red

yeah sure! Why don't you go to china and chase the chineese dream then, and get paid for 3 times the working time in order to make a livin of a few bucks a day? Cmon dude.... You know why in US you pay 3x the money? In order to be able to chase your dream and fly airplanes with the extra money that the US is paying you and in your free time that you have the ability to afford!
Did you ask the chinese labor if they can afford to fly R/C airplanes? I am sure the chinks can't afford to have this luxury......
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
twinbrother

There's always that one guy in every forum that goes off on everyone, imposing his beliefs and narrow minded thinking on everyone. There's always that one guy that insists he is right and rebels against the very thought of open minded thinking. What in the world is Red man talking about? And now he's using derogatory remarks about the Chinese. There is much anger in you, Old Skywalker. The force is not with you.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Johnnie Red

I respect the chinese...all these poor people that trying to make a livin'..I am sure that you are talking all this while you make more than enough money than a poor chinese in the labor force... As far as the name chink I've used as a figure of speech; metaphor, because in slang means ready cash.....(isn't this the reason for all westerners have moved their factories there? Ask how many people lost their jobs in Detroit because all the car industry moved out and went elsewhere for "ready cash"...at the backs of the poor chineese..)
One think I detest is smart *** thinking...It's always the manufacturer's fault. Never the pilots fault. How many times you have tried to take the burden out of your shoulders and move it into your next guys shoulders? It becomes a habbit nowdays.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Pecanpatch

I had to laugh at that one too. Let me break this down, the engineers had to find a balance point between holding an engine or motor together to the firewall that spins a prop at 9,000-15,000 rpms and also have the firewall give away on a crash so the engine or motor doesn't get damaged as much. Hmmmm, learn something new everyday. OMG.
Well yall just havn't been flying for close to 40 years because all trainers used to come with "Break-away" motor mounts. My PT .40 still has a break away motor mount in it.
I would rather glue the firewall back in than have to buy a new crank on the engine or more. It's not that far of a stretch.

Even if it is an ARF, and even if you are a noobie novice wannabe.... dont try to get the plane in the air in in a day or so.... I always inspect mine with mirrors and a flashlight for good glue joints and strength. You can warm up some 15 minute epoxy with a heat gun and pour/flow it into the firewall fuel tank area and it will help with strength and fuel proofing.

After a while you might actually learn something about building!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.