Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
twinbrother
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

I "had" the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair. Flying it just 1 month with less than 20 flights on it, I lost the entire plane and $250 in lipo batteries. That's over $500, about $25 a flight. Good investment?

This was a great flying plane, but the glue used to hold it together is absolutely ridiculous. On a nose over, the firewall came apart from the fuse. Not enough glue holding the firewall onto the fuse. No problem. Glue it back on and reinforce. During flight, the wings snap in half and the plane goes down from 15 stories in the air. Big problem. Can't glue back enough toothpicks to make it fly again. And the lipo batteries are toast.

Upon closer inspection of the wings after the crash, I noticed the balsa and plywood in the wings fell right off the balsa sheeting. There wasn't enough glue holding the formers together. I've had crashes before and the undamaged part of the wing held together. Not this Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair. The wood just fell right off. For those of you who have this plane, thank your lucky stars you have a plane with just enough glue holding it in one piece. The rest of us who've posted about wing failures on this Corsair aren't as lucky. I've read posts dating back to 2004 and 7 years later, Hanger 9 still hasn't fixed the problem.

To make things worse, the customer service rep I spoke to told me the forums and threads that are posting about the wing failures are just rubbish. Yup, us hard working customers who drop $260 on this Corsair are talking rubbish on these forums. He went on to tell me that there was nothing he could do for my $500 loss. Let me tell you, I got pretty irate about that. Horizon Hobby sure does care about their customers and what they're saying about their planes. It's so disappointing to see a manufacturer such as Hangar 9 skimp on glue when putting together a plane like this. And it's even worse that they don't give a damn. I'm never buying this plane again. It's too much of a risk. One $500 loss is enough.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
MrGoodwreck

Default RE: Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair...Where's The Glue?

My very first plane was an ARF ( Cox Cessna 182 ) back in 1985.

I have NEVER owned an ARF since, and as tempting as it is sometimes, I dont want to own one just yet.

That being said,

Lest see some pic's of your crashed rebuild project!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
edmoor
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: twinbrother

I ''had'' the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair. Flying it just 1 month with less than 20 flights on it, I lost the entire plane and $250 in lipo batteries. That's over $500, about $25 a flight. Good investment?

This was a great flying plane, but the glue used to hold it together is absolutely ridiculous. On a nose over, the firewall came apart from the fuse. Not enough glue holding the firewall onto the fuse. No problem. Glue it back on and reinforce. During flight, the wings snap in half and the plane goes down from 15 stories in the air. Big problem. Can't glue back enough toothpicks to make it fly again. And the lipo batteries are toast.

Upon closer inspection of the wings after the crash, I noticed the balsa and plywood in the wings fell right off the balsa sheeting. There wasn't enough glue holding the formers together. I've had crashes before and the undamaged part of the wing held together. Not this Hangar 9 60 Size Corsair. The wood just fell right off. For those of you who have this plane, thank your lucky stars you have a plane with just enough glue holding it in one piece. The rest of us who've posted about wing failures on this Corsair aren't as lucky. I've read posts dating back to 2004 and 7 years later, Hanger 9 still hasn't fixed the problem.

To make things worse, the customer service rep I spoke to told me the forums and threads that are posting about the wing failures are just rubbish. Yup, us hard working customers who drop $260 on this Corsair are talking rubbish on these forums. He went on to tell me that there was nothing he could do for my $500 loss. Let me tell you, I got pretty irate about that. Horizon Hobby sure does care about their customers and what they're saying about their planes. It's so disappointing to see a manufacturer such as Hangar 9 skimp on glue when putting together a plane like this. And it's even worse that they don't give a damn. I'm never buying this plane again. It's too much of a risk. One $500 loss is enough.
welcome to the arf world......this is why i dont buy them!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
twinbrother

Not all ARFs are bad. Top-flite makes awesome ARFs. I have 3 of them and all are solid airplanes. The engineering that goes into Top-Flite ARF planes are solid. Hangar 9 and Horizon Hobby, on the other hand, can't even learn the basics.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Oh, come on. I'm sorry for your loss, and it would frustrate anyone. On the other hand, I've had many H9 ARF's, including the P51-60 and Spitfire 60, and I have never had a structural failure on one. I do reinforce firewalls and wing joints during the assmbly process, but I do that with any ARF and some kits I have built.

I've also known H9 to replace ARF's when there are known and recognized manufacturing faults (a friend's Funtana 90, for example).

I don't see H9 as being any worse than TF or any other company that markets Chinese made ARF's.

Greg
Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
twinbrother

I guess we all have our opinions. There is no way Hangar 9 is close to Top-Flite. You look at the Top-Flite ARFs and the way they're assembled and compare them to Hangar 9 and it's not even close. Also, you already said it, you reinforce all your ARFs. ARFs shouldn't need to be reinforced. Beginners and experts alike should have the confidence that their planes will hold together in flight. I've never had to add extra glue to an of my Top-Flite planes. The Hangar 9 Corsair 60 firewall fell right off the fuse without the extra reinforcement on a nose over. And the wings collapsed without reinforcement. You're one of the lucky ones when it comes to Hangar 9 products, but that's because you reinforced your plane. Even you don't have the confidence in Hanger 9 products since you're reinforcing the planes yourself. If you did, you wouldn't be doing it, would you? And your buddy who got the replacement is another one of the select few. If Horizon Hobby did me right, I wouldn't be griping, but they didn't. There are a lot of people who have posted wing failures on the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair and firewall failures and they never got replacements. These posts have dated back to 2004, 7 years man. You would think Hangar 9 and Horizon Hobby would listen to the customers who have been posting about those failures, but they're not. Both reps I spoke to at Horizon Hobby say, and I quote, "There is nothing wrong with the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair." And one said, "All the posts on the forums are pure propaganda."
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 AM
K-Bob

I just finished my Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi and I would challenge anyone to find a better bult and engineered balsa and covering ARF at any cost. I would put it up against 90% of the kit built planes out there flying. All top notch harware and everything fit perfectly. I have owned many. many Hangar 9 ARFs over the years and have always found the quality to be second to none.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63600.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1585779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88127.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1585780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86813.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1585781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41755.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1585782  
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
twinbrother

Go buy the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair and let me know if you feel the same way. Don't reinforce anything and see if the wings fall off in flight.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
K-Bob

Go buy the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair and let me know if you feel the same way. Don't reinforce anything and see if the wings fall off in flight.
A buddy of mine gave me his. He had the same problem with his firewall coming out. Oh, except that his came out when it impacted terra firma at full throttle.

Wings were(are) fine.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM
twinbrother

I'm sure they were.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Do a search, several had problems with firewall on the h9 corsair, remember one example, fella starting it up on stand,and the engine and firewall departed the plane. In the h9 cosair thread, there is several suggestions to beef up the firewall. Seems horizon figured out they had a problem also with this plane, notice none around to buy.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
flyallday

Funny, I just posted in the ARF forum about the lack of glue in ARF's. It was not the H9 you mentioned but there was VERY little glue holding the wings together. I too have 2 H9's (Pawnee and Camel) and so far are ok. I too glue everything in sight before assembly. It is not hard for a factory in China to do a good job but when these planes are built in a crapy factory you get crapy built planes.

Harry
Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
twinbrother

Right on the money. Not all Chinese factories produce bad products. Some do a really good job and some cut corners. It's Horizon Hobby's job to inspect the quality and make changes when the consumers are complaining about the products. The blame for the lack of glue here lies more with Horizon Hobby than the factory that builds them. The consumer has been complaining about the problem for years and Horizon has done nothing about it. They even deny the problem exists. That kind of company doesn't deserve our business.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Call horizon's customer service, They are pretty good. They may ask you to ship the plane back to them, but they will pay for the shipping. They replaced a Hellcat for me a little while back.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
twinbrother

Tried that, did that, done that. Horizon told me to pound sand. The first rep told me the forums are just propaganda and that the 60 Size Corsair was a great plane. He said there was nothing wrong with it. He went on to say that guys like us who post these problems are spreading lies. The other rep also denied there was anything wrong with the plane. I told both reps I lost the plane and all my lipos in the plane after the crash, over $500. I got a small discount on my next purchase, but not even close to my loss. And on top of that, I had to go spend more money just to use the little discount that I got. It was a joke. Never buying from Horizon Hobby again.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

k-bob is that you , How big is that plane thanks frank

hanger 9 for ever
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM
K-Bob

Frank,

It's bigger than my grandkids.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28041.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1588462  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM
tmaucher

Congradualations on two beautiful grandkids, its never too early to get them into flying. The plane looks good too.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM
ChrisM101

Holy Cow, You could fly one of your Grandkids in that thing!
ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Frank,

It's bigger than my grandkids.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 AM
richardgerardi

I usually use thing CA in the fuse and expoxy on the fire wall to reinforce. I have a hangar 9 stick that I have been flyiing for 4 years and has close 150 flights with no problems. I think the glue they use in China is pretty weak.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
twinbrother

I wonder if Top-Flite is built in China. Not everything in China is poorly made. Many products coming out of China are solid. There are a few companies that produce piss poor products, such as the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair. Many planes coming out of China are great and I don't see why if one manufacturer from China can make a great product, another one can't. In my opinion, it comes down to money and customer service. I've owned a few CMPro ARFs and some are excellent, solidly built planes, and they're cheaper than Hangar 9. CMPro is from China and some are pretty good. No reason why Hanger 9 and Horizon Hobby can't do the same with some of their planes. They just don't care, in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
cutaway

Most ARFs in the sub-thousands range you'll spend many hours taking apart, re-gluing, reinforcing/replacing sketchy parts and recovering before you "assemble it" if you really intend it to last.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Johnnie Red

I wonder if Top-Flite is built in China. Not everything in China is poorly made. Many products coming out of China are solid. There are a few companies that produce piss poor products, such as the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair. Many planes coming out of China are great and I don't see why if one manufacturer from China can make a great product, another one can't. In my opinion, it comes down to money and customer service. I've owned a few CMPro ARFs and some are excellent, solidly built planes, and they're cheaper than Hangar 9. CMPro is from China and some are pretty good. No reason why Hanger 9 and Horizon Hobby can't do the same with some of their planes. They just don't care, in my opinion.

Since when are you flying twinbrother? Are you new to the hobby? Can you describe us your typical flight that lead to your missfortune? Do you make powerdives? Do you hold the throttle back while you are making high G manouvers? Are you familiar with the term airframe stress?

I am asking you all these because I find your comments peculiar, since the only people that hate H9 warbirds in my field are the ones that they fly carelessly causing structural damages to their planes; because of ignorance. Kindly note that even in the full scale 1:1 airplanes there are limitations, and ways to handle the power lever.

I am a proud owner of many R/C warbirds, and among them are H9 Corsair, Hellcat, Thunderbolt, Mustang since now with more than five years of flying them I had crashed no one. The only inspection that I do is to the clevises and horns that I change them once per year for possible wear.

It happens that I own also a bunch of CmPro's as well. Some are Hellcat, Thunderbolt, P-40, Chipmunk, and my opinion is that CmPro's are much worse in collapsing parts. The firewall in all CmPro's need reienforcments, the retract-wheelwells also, the saddle where the wing sits; needs reienforcements with glasscloth and poxy.....

At the end of the day, keep in mind that the companies make these ARF's for the experienced modellers. If somebody see that one part might collapse at his personal way of flying he just reienforce this part and everything is all right. Companies cannot make custom made production for anyone.

Happy flyin'
J.R.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
twinbrother

I fly in circles, no hot dogging, no aerobatics, nothing. The only time I go fast is when I'm flying straight and level. There are no high G turns when I fly. And I fly every weekend at the flying field. Your Hangar 9 planes are probably the percentage of planes that have just enough glue to hold them together. The others of us who have posted on here about the Hangar 9 Corsair are the unlucky ones. Horizon Hobby is well aware of the Hangar 9 Corsair having these issues and they are doing nothing to improve the quality of the plane to bring down that percentage of failures. And I also wrote that the firewall came off of the fuse on a simple nose over. If you feel that is sufficient quality for Hangar 9, then more power to you. You keep buying their products. None of my Top-Flite firewalls have come off nose overs. And if they did, Top-Flite should be addressing that issue.

And yes, ARFs are for experienced modelers. But even the experienced modeler wants assurance their firewall and wings will hold up in normal flight. If reinforcement was needed during normal flight, the ARF manual would have that in the instructions and tell you where to reinforce. Last time I checked, I didn't see that anywhere.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM
flyallday

ORIGINAL: Johnnie Red

At the end of the day, keep in mind that the companies make these ARF's for the experienced modellers. If somebody see that one part might collapse at his personal way of flying he just reienforce this part and everything is all right. Companies cannot make custom made production for anyone.

Happy flyin'
J.R.
I disagree with your assessment on ARF's. I think the ARF is created for those of us that do not have the ability, time or experience for modeling. Not having glue where it should be has nothing to do with "custom". There is nothing "custom" in having your firewall fall out. Just my opinion here.

Harry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.