Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My first crash.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My first crash.

After 5 months of flying, I had my first crash this morning. I was flying a Big Stick with a 72MGHZ Futaba radio and I was alone at the field. The tank was full and the battery was over 5 volts before take off. The plane was flying straight and level when suddenly it went into a spin and pointed nose down and continued the spin until it crashes. I totally lost control.
When I picked up the broken plane, the tail section was intact and all control surfaces and controls horns were firmly attached. Ditto for the 2 servos and controls of the wing. So, I would rule out a mechanical failure.
Some interesting facts. I had a glitch on the flight right before the crash. In 5 months, I have experienced4 glitches and although I have 3 planes, all glitches were with this plane. One of them, the plane started to fly inverted and I was again alone at the field. It only lasted a few seconds.

Is running the antenna close to the battery something that could cause this? Also, I have mud in my carb. What is the best way to clean the engine?
I am really disappointed. It was my favorite plane. Everyone told me that it happens to everyone, but it’s hard when it happens to you.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
sir crashallot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My first crash.

sounds like it could be a bad reciever or crystal. Or you may have a servo that appears to work fine but itermitantly goes to full lock for no apparent reason. as for the carb take the screw/s retaining it out, and let it soak in some fuel, if dirt has got down into the cracnk whip out the plug n put some fuel down the hole to the crank, try not to turn it and bassicaly try flush any muck in site out, just be carefull about turning the engine over while there is dirt present, personaly if it was me id use it as an excuse to completely strip the engine and sandblact the engine casing and give it a complete inspection before rebuilding. hope this helps
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the tips.

It must be the crystal or receiver since I was going straight and the plane turned by itself, so the locking servo is probably not the reason.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM
mudboger07

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This may be far out there, but I have heard of a few pilots that while flying would hold there radio low around wait level. what this did was let the antana rest on the chain link fence causing interferance. dont ask me how but they to lost the plane when this happened, just a thought. also something that gets over looked alot is the power switch, check it to make sure it is still ok, I have had a couple that if you barely move them they would switch off.

Ken
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It happened to me a few times that the antenna would touch the fence. I had no idea that it would create interference. I am surprised my instructor who is so meticulous did not mention that possibility to me.

But I have to mention one last detail. Right before the crash, the engine died on the runway after landing and when I went to pickup the plane, all the servos were going crazy like when the plane is on and not the TX. When I went back to the table, I found that my radio was still on but the I had taken the antenna down. So, I thought it was just because the antenna was down. But the plane was at a short distance and I have done range checks on that distance with antenna down and never had problems. BTW I am 100% my antenna was not down when the plane went down.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd look hard at the Transmitter too,, check to make sure your antenna is tightly screwed into the Tx,,

Also,
Open the back of the TX and make sure the wire that leads from the antenna mount to the PC board is secure,, I had an issue there on my 8u before,, Luckily I found the problem on the ground before flying.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Hnorth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

72 or 2.4?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:29 PM
sir crashallot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He was using 72mhz
Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Regarding your engine, when you pull that carb, if you see any mud at all, you might want to take the engine apart and clean it out. It isn't hard, and it might save the piston & sleeve.

I was taught that when the ground tries to smite thy airplane, and it appears inevitable, try to close the throttle to keep dirt out of the engine as much as possible. You can't always do it, but if you have the time and the presence of mind, it's a good habit to get into.

Bob
Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Hnorth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

did the radio have any condensation inside? my friend lost a 60% Extra 300L.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just had the same thing happen. i was flying my trainer, buddy boxed with my instructor. i was flying circles, very simple. i was comming around to the right, and all of a sudden, my plane  banked hard left and went straight down my instructor tried to save it, but it happened so fast, he couldnt pull it out. sounds like i was shot down, but i was using 2.4. lots of damage to the plane. its going to be a month till i get it back in the air.  we tested all servos, all functioned after the impact, and were all still hooked up battery tested almost full. any ideas?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 AM
SteveR Rambin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Pay careful attention where you place the antenna's when using 2.4. I put mine too close to the wing tube and I ended up with an unintended rolling circle 5 feet off the ground.

Take a look at this forum:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89...tm.htm#8952785

Following the advice of others I now have both antenna's in old push rod tube, one antenna pointed horizontally down the fuse and the other pointed vertically straight down. Haven't had another quirky problem with the radio. Hope this helps.