Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

E Flite J3 Cub 25e Crash and Rebuild

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM
chevypower1930

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default E Flite J3 Cub 25e Crash and Rebuild

Well guys I crashed my beautiful E Flite Cub last week! Those of you on RCGroups may have seen my for sale ad! I was so mad at what happened I threw the plane up for sale and eventually came to my senses.. I can't let this beautiful bird go!

Anyways the crash I GUESS was a stall on take off, maybe a strong tail wind right at take off set it into a spiral at about 20 feet up and she spiraled in. It LOOKED like a typical stall but I felt like I had a lot more airspeed which is why I'm thinking a tailwind hit me. Either that or a loss of signal which I don't like blaming crashes on! 95 percent of crashes are pilot error and I'm not ashamed to admit my airplane smashes!

So as the damage goes, I have included a few pictures from right after the crash after I removed the canopy that was completely crumpled, and the motor was pointing almost up. I don't know how but the only damage was right at and behind the firewall, which from the crash that I SAW that is absolutely unreal, When I saw it smack the ground (concrete mind you) I expected a pile of balsa wood. I started repairing tonight and now have the front of the fuselage all straight and glued and ready for the firewall! I do need a new firewall though, I could probably rig this one to work with some spare ply, but I'd rather have a good, new, solid firewall (don't want that part failing).

This is where I may need some help if anybody could help me out! Does anybody have or could anybody make a template or even a to scale scan of the Cub's firewall?? Even better, if I could pay somebody to even make a new firewall for me as I really don't have a bandsaw to cut the harder ply for the firewall. I could get it done but it'd be great if somebody could make a smooth, nicely cut firewall..

Well guys here is the crash pictures and the progress. I'm really just waiting to get the firewall issue figured out and it'll be back for a test flight! I also have to either build a new, or repair the battery tray. The first 2 pictures are after the crash.. the rest is the progress I've made as well as a picture of what's rest of the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11765.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1633245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70734.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1633246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15301.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.5 KB