Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Rebuild and modification of a 15 year old ARF

What would look best, IMO, is if you ran a header into the fuse and hid the muffler in there somewhere. Chromed it up all nice and shiny, all that fun stuff.
    My stash:
    1 rally modded NTC3, 1 HeliMax Axe CX Nano, 1 Hobbico NexSTAR.

ORIGINAL: 378

What would look best, IMO, is if you ran a header into the fuse and hid the muffler in there somewhere. Chromed it up all nice and shiny, all that fun stuff.
    That would look really cool. Be one heck of a booger to do. But that would eat up space for fuel ect.
    If I had made a round cowl I could have done something like a pitts style muffler.
    I will save that for a Pitts S2A even though they don't have round cowls.

\"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord\"
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Just finnished doing some minor fixing on trim lines with some white paint and a really small brush. Actually some of the stars on the tail really needed some work before preparing to mask for the pin stripes.
    I used some tape for 2 or 3 realy rough lines. I then Got smart and used a razor blade as an edge to paint against. Man those lines sure ended up comming out real sharp.
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

Â*I ma going to have to throw a beater into the air and get plenty of stick time first. I have not gotten in much flying recently, and I know I am rusty as an old nail.

You will be surprised how quick it comes back. I hadn't flown ANYTHING for at least 10 years. One of the club members who I had never met before let me fly his low wing something or other for a few minutes when I joined the club. The same club I belonged to years ago. Next flight was my CAP afr, I had just bought and assembled. The thumbs were back in a flight or two. Maybe not 100%, but 85% anyway.

Got some paint on the CAP. See my rebuild thread. Not nearly as fancy as yours, but it will get me there!

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

I masked and painted the pin stripes on the left stab only. This is going to take awhile.

I am thinking of getting my mug in the plane.

Here is how. I am going to spray paint piece of foam board (the same blue as my windows and windshield).Then I am going to pose my ugly mug front and then sideways with the blue foam board as a backdrop. I think I can re size the images to the correct size. Print the front shot and side shot out on real good paper, and stick them on the planes windows. Then protect them with a few coats of clear. I will also get my son to do the same thing but opposite side few. Trying to talk my wife into it also.

What do you think?
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

I ma going to have to throw a beater into the air and get plenty of stick time first. I have not gotten in much flying recently, and I know I am rusty as an old nail.

You will be surprised how quick it comes back. I hadn't flown ANYTHING for at least 10 years. One of the club members who I had never met before let me fly his low wing something or other for a few minutes when I joined the club. The same club I belonged to years ago. Next flight was my CAP afr, I had just bought and assembled. The thumbs were back in a flight or two. Maybe not 100%, but 85% anyway.

Got some paint on the CAP. See my rebuild thread. Not nearly as fancy as yours, but it will get me there!

Ken
    post a link ken, I would love to see it.
    Ken

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

I did not get very much done. To tired after working long hours. But I did get a little bit done. I finnished on stab side, the left. I really wanted to see how it was to work at a smaller size and what it would look like.

I think i managed to distort some of the stars. Will think about the fix..

Only 9 more to go

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10011.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	1739142  
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Â*I ma going to have to throw a beater into the air and get plenty of stick time first. I have not gotten in much flying recently, and I know I am rusty as an old nail.

Ken
    post a link ken, I would love to see it.
    Ken[img][/img]

In Crash and Rebuild.... "Older H9 CAP 232"

I just got back from two days in training for Kubota products. So I have a bit of catching up to do. The weekend is supposed to be around 80 or so..... I have to work Saturday and who knows what Sunday will bring.

Ken

I haven't had to much chance to work on the bird lately.
    I am still masking for the remaining pin stripes on the tail feathers.
    I have been looking for muffler bolts. The K&B .65 uses 5/40 2.25' bolts grade 8. But I need 3.25" bolts because of the requirment to mextend the muffler enough to clear the fuse bottom.
    The longest 5/40s I have found are the ones that K&B uses. I have also looked for 6/32s as they will fit in the bolt holes on the engine. Alas 3" is the longest I can find.
    So I will have to get creative or use some all thread. But it is pretty soft, and I am not real confident that it will work with out stretching.
    Might try to use this Harbor Freight Alumiweld Rodshttp://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...ods-44810.html
    to fill the holes on the extension and then tap it. The regular bolts would then reach the threads on the extension. I would also have to drill the muffler to get a pair of bolts thru it into the extension. Or if the stuff works as good as I have heard then I could just solder the muffler to the extension.
    Any one have any expearince withHarbor Freight Alumiweld Rods?
    Any othe ideas? I am really open to suggestions
    In the picture that is the normal bolt.

Name:	Ec89259.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1746117  
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are both sides of the muffler/cylinder accessible? If so you could try annealing some music wire and cutting some threads on it. A nut on each end will then secure everything together. You could have a "bolt" three feet long if needed. I just had a brain fart........Never mind about nuts on both ends. Even if one side is a threaded blind hole, you can still use the threaded rod as a stud (screwed into the hole). a nut on the exposed end will then hold all the parts on.

Let me know if you can't come up with something. I have a 6-32 die so I could cut some threads for you.

Ken

Are both sides of the muffler/cylinder accessible? If so you could try annealing some music wire and cutting some threads on it. A nut on each end will then secure everything together. You could have a "bolt" three feet long if needed. I just had a brain fart........Never mind about nuts on both ends. Even if one side is a threaded blind hole, you can still use the threaded rod as a stud (screwed into the hole). a nut on the exposed end will then hold all the parts on.

Let me know if you can't come up with something. I have a 6-32 die so I could cut some threads for you.

Ken
    Now that is a good thought Ken
    I am pretty sure I also have a 6/32 die also (unless I managed to loose it). I sure do thank you for the wonderful offer.
    To anneal the music wire would I just heat it with a torch? How hot and how long? After threading it would I have to heat treat the wire again?
    I know music wire is some plenty strong stuff.

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get the wire as hot as possible and hold it there for 60 seconds or so. Let it cool slowly. I sometimes will move the torch away slowly (10 or 15 seconds) to take away that initial shock cooling on a small part like wire. It will still cut tougher that regular wire so use plenty of good oil on the die. DO NOT use WD 40. At the least, use a good motor oil. I don't believe that heat treating is necessary after threading as I feel it will be "strong enough".

Ken

Get the wire as hot as possible and hold it there for 60 seconds or so. Let it cool slowly. I sometimes will move the torch away slowly (10 or 15 seconds) to take away that initial shock cooling on a small part like wire. It will still cut tougher that regular wire so use plenty of good oil on the die. DO NOT use WD 40. At the least, use a good motor oil. I don't believe that heat treating is necessary after threading as I feel it will be "strong enough".

Ken

OK thanks Ken.I really appreciate your input.
    I think this will work. Will have to wait till the weekend. I get home to late after work. I am eager to try this.

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your covering job came out really well.

Can you post a recap of how your fabric covering technique?

I've been weaning myself off the harsher chemicals as well.

What fabric covering did you use? My favorite was Super Shrink Coverite but they don't make it any longer.

I've heard great things about Balsa USA's Solartex. I'm going to give it a try.

http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/119.htm

It comes finished in colors or natural for applying your own finish just like Coverite fabric.

How well dose the Minnwax stick to the fabric, as in dose it stick on as soon as you touch it with the heat or do you heat it then hold it in position until it cools?

Any bad things to watch out for?

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

What fabric covering did you use? My favorite was Super Shrink Coverite but they don't make it any longer.

It comes finished in colors or natural for applying your own finish just like Coverite fabric.

How well dose the Minnwax stick to the fabric, as in dose it stick on as soon as you touch it with the heat or do you heat it then hold it in position until it cools?

Sure thing
    Maybe a few days before I do though. Fighting with the Both My wifes laptop and my desktop. Rebuilding both to some degree

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Thanks Amish.
    I appreciate the compliment.

Got my wife's laptop running again. My desktop had been haveing proplems for a while. Both builds are several years old, so I expect issues as builds age. My desktop went down hard. Just software issues on mine and same on her laptop plus to small a hard drive. I simply cloned her's to bigger drive and fixed some partition table proplems. Mine just simply was to corrupted to fix. So I reloaded on a new drive. Still got a lot to do on it. But at least I can use the darn thing again.

I used100% polyester dress lining fabric. My feelings about it are mixed. I got great results on the wing and the fuse. Pulled my hair on the tail feathers and especially on the control surfaces. Small and narrow surfaces and thepolyester dress lining are not a good mix. Thepolyester dress lining has a limited amount of shrink, so on bigger areas no proplem, but smaller ones, big proplem.

The Minwax was easy to work with. It stuck and fast. I just went at the fabric stick down like it was *coat. Hit with the iron and kept moving. I did a corner and then streched the fabric and did the oposite end, then the middle. I really did it just like it was *coat. The fabric stuck good.Most important thing by far is temp control. I used a much lower temp, just enough to adhere the fabric to the surface, and used that same temp for shrinking.I did useNitrate Dopeto shrink the fabric. I lightly brushed it on the edges, and gave it plenty of time to dry, then hit the edges again, You just want to make sure you don't let the dope loosen the fabrick at the edges. Then I did the rest of the fabric with theNitrate Dope. Strictly old school and did it the same way I did when I was a youngster doing silkspan and dope. No difference. TheNitrate Dopeshrinks the fabric real good. The wing and fuse are as tight as anything I ever did. But I did run out of shrink on the small, narrow surfaces.
    I cut the length of fabric I needed to span with the salvage (the edge along the sides). It has more shrink that direction.
    There is a differnce in100% polyester dress lining fabric. Now I did not change frabric but what i leaned on here is the stuff with the lable ofSunline from JoAnn's seems to shrink up better.It was also more $. It was stiffer than the stuff I got at Michaels. But worked easier for me.

Next time around I will invest in someSigKoverall and use it for the small areas.
    The price is not bad particularly if you get the longer amount

Product Code
    Description Price Type Order
    Quantity
    SIGKV001 SIG KOVERALL 67 X 26 WHITE EACH $5.49
    SIGKV002 SIG KOVERALL 67 X 52 WHITE EACH $8.19
    SIGKV003 SIG KOVERALL 67 X 129 WHITE EACH $18.99
    I think that works out to about 6$ a running yard versus 4$ for linning. Not bad. And if used just areas that really need the extra shrink, will in the long run be cheap.

So my covering was an expearment. Again mixed results and feelings on the100% polyester dress lining fabric. I will likely use it again but only on large areas.

The actual painting ws just Rustolium over theNitrate Dope, after the dope had about 2 weeks to cure. It will continue to shrink for about that amount of time.

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't have good results with Koverall. It seamed like I had the same problems as your dress lineing.

I've heard alot of people recoment Solartex so I'm going to try that out.

They sell a natural for painting.

http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/556.htm

I did a few silk and dope jobs when I was young, then silk got outragesly spendy.
    But I have ran across this Silk Habotai Fabrics http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/habotai.html
    I hvae heard some that swear by it. I will try on a future project.
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

I finnally have all the pin stripes done. Yep all of them. I have some cleanup up to do on some of them. A razor blade makes a real nice edge to paint against for fixing boo boos.

>>

At this point I am going to work on a few other trouble areas. The first one is to lower the airleron servos so they do not touch the fabric on the top of the wing. That really should not take more than an hour maybe two. I have several minor issues like that, not much time really needed to finnish this bird out.

I still am going to try putting my mug on the windows.
    >>

But I know it will be a while before I get it done and in the air.

Name:	Tr50651.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1753484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw72157.jpg 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	1753485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44426.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	1753486  
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The old girl is lookin' pretty snazzy there Ken!!! I look forward to the re-maiden on the old girl!

The old girl is lookin' pretty snazzy there Ken!!! I look forward to the re-maiden on the old girl!
    Thanks Ken. I appreciate that.
    Yeah I am looking foward to the re-maiden also. I will make sure I take some one with a cam-coder with me.
    It should not be as nerve wracking as many other maidens have been, as it is a proven airframe. But in reality logic won't win. I think I will be even more nervous than I have been when when maidening a brand new scratch built. This is the most time I have ever put into a plane.
    I for sure will get some one else to fly it.

Get her done and just do it.

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ken. I appreciate that.
    Yeah I am looking foward to the re-maiden also. I will make sure I take some one with a cam-coder with me.
    It should not be as nerve wracking as many other maidens have been, as it is a proven airframe. But in reality logic won't win. I think I will be even more nervous than I have been when when maidening a brand new scratch built. This is the most time I have ever put into a plane.
    I for sure will get some one else to fly it.

Get her done and just do it.

Not to hijack your thread, but the CAP will get a re-maiden this week if the weather cooperates. Tomorrow will be perfect but I don't think my schedule will be in alignment with the stars. You may beet me to the punch yet

Ken

I would never consider that hijacking Ken.
    I have been following your thread as well. Interested in seeng the maiden.

I did a bit of a side trip this weekend. I put up some storage for some of my planes. I have some still stored at a freinds garrage. I have a bunch of wings stored under my wife and I's bed.
    I bought 4 angle brackets.The long arm is 12" long. I added a 1x2 12" long to the 12 inch arm on 2 brackets and a 1x2 24" long on the othe 2 brackets. I drilled 1/4" holes every 2" about 1/2" deep. I used a depth stop callor so I would not accidently drill all the way thru. I cut a 1/4" dowel into 2" lengths, and use these as pegs. These will stop wings from sliding foward and falling off the brackets. I also use the pegs to make sure fuselages stay put, allthough they should not slide on there on.I am still at this time building on a card table. I put a piece of 2" pink foam on top of it and a piece of 1/4" MDF on top of that. I have a magnetic building board that I then put on top of the MDF.A little crude, but for now it works. When finances permit I am going to get an oak work bench from Harbor Frieght and use that as my buiding table.
    www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/workbench/60-inch-solid-oak-workbench-93454.html

I think my wife will let me put up another set of brackets or if I am suck up to her enough maybe 2

I sure do miss having a garrage.

Name:	Ig13707.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1754068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc92139.jpg 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	1754069  
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After looking at this thread I also have the same plane that a friend got from his grandfather it never flew. He got it when he was ten and is 40 now. He would love to see it fly I think I will rebuild and teach him to fly in his grandfathers memory.It will take a lot of work but think it will be worth it. RoadRunner

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

After looking at this thread I also have the same plane that a friend got from his grandfather it never flew. He got it when he was ten and is 40 now. He would love to see it fly I think I will rebuild and teach him to fly in his grandfathers memory.It will take a lot of work but think it will be worth it. RoadRunner
    Yeah go for it 69 roadrunner
    My rebuild got a lot more involved and time consumming than it needed to, to fly and look good. It was just something I chose to do.

Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast