Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Music Wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM
doswings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music Wire

I believe most are in the same situation where anymore well stocked hobby shops are few and far in between. Does anyone know if music wire (3/32 - 1/8-etc) is stocked at home centers such as Lowe's or a source in the philadelphia PA area I can get some rather than mail order.

Thanks,
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Music Wire

Sometimes a well stocked old fashion style hardware store will have it,, I've bought it from True Value before,, Call around

good luck
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Tjettzky

Call your local music store. I used to work at a music retailer years ago and our Piano department sold it if you asked for it (They probably won't have any on a shelf).
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM
doswings

Thanks - always wondered why it was called music wire.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... piano (music) wire... used for ... pianos!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
opjose

Eh, Piano wires (particularly the ticker diameters we are interested in) are now-a-days complex wound wires, unlike what we use for planes.

I think the term "music wire" is more of a historical artifact due to the similiarities to mid and thin thickness wires used on pianos.

I doubt that actual piano wire would be stiff enough for our use.

If someone knows more about this than me, please chime in!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM
aussiesteve

Trivia time

True "Piano" or "Music" wire is in fact correct for our uses. There is even a specific standard for it to comply to (ASTM A228M)
It is a high carbon, cold drawn polished spring steel of a a specific composition. It's history is it was originally used (as a monifilament) for piano strings (and some other percussion string intruments such as the Harpsichord). It's largest size according to the standard is 4.8mm diameter (0.192"). It is measured with its own gauging system (mwg - music wire gauge).

Very little of what we see in the hobby shops is true music wire, rather it is just high carbon drawn wire that is pretty much good enough for our purposes. True Music wire is more of a spring steel that is able to be formed and heat reated under a variety of conditions depending on the final qualities required.

Ok, enough for now - my brain hurts. A good friend of mine is a piano repairer / restorer / tuner and I asked him about this a few years back. (I had to just double check the standard to get the sizes). He gave me some true piano wire from an old instrument he was restoring for a customer. It is indeed a very high quality steel and fun to work with when you have the true product.

To answer the OP - You may try see if there are any Piano restorer / repairers near you and ask if they have any there. Teh bass notes (below "middle C") tend to be the sizes we use most.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Or just order it from Tower and save a bunch of running around

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&C=RDC&V=K%2BS