Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

covering problem

Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default covering problem

kinda crashed my nitro profile plane the other day hovering and the battery slid forward into the on/off switch and did a nasty job on the balsa...i have the balsa fixed up good but cant for the life of me get the new monocote to stick....i have tried using alcohol to clean off the nitro so it would stick and nada....any info or help with this would be awesome before my blood pressure spikes....again lol
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: covering problem

Hi

Try this.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXB355&P=8

Vince
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly how are you trying to get the Monocote to stick?? Are you using an iron...are you using CA....????

Did you peel off the clear plastic backing before you applied the Monocote?

Please explain, and post a pic or 2 if you can....it will help!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im using a iron and yes i pealed the back off the monocote im about to CA it if it doesnt work soon

here is a picture of the patch that i put in

Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
flyngfrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, what you need is get off all the grease form your wood. I've had use thinner (lacquer or polyurethane) and alcohol alternatelly to sock the wood. Use a cotton or a cloth to apply and rub it to clean the wood, like washing it. let it sock and absorb the solvent, this will dilute the grease.
Then, use some paper towels to dry the wood and put towels over the wood. after that, using your iron at the hottest setting put it over the towels. this will warm up your wood but the towels will absorb the grease. Change towels repeatedly until they don't absorb any more grease.
You can repeat the process if needed. after this you can use the balsarite. Let us know if it worked for you. In extreme cases the wood is no longer good and you have to change the piece... Hope its not the case. good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i'll give it a try, the piece for my switch and charging port is new balsa, but had been handled alot. im guessing the grease and oils on my skin on my hands are screwing with it...i have probably cut 4 or 5 pieces of monocote to cover this spot just in the past hour or so before getting on here to ask for help lol
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
flyngfrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try the next:
- clean your desk and put away everything you use to build: tools, glue, dust, etc.
- clean your plane with a cloth using windex. Personally I use a mix with windex and a grease cleaner. It will leave your plane with no grease or dust.
- use the cleaner for the desk too.
- wash several times your hands before and during the process.
- after all, wash your hands again and start cutting and applying the covering
Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the help guys, i did exactly that, every time i leave the field i clean the plane with windex so its not all over the car. minus this last time after i lawn darted it i just wanted to go home and be bummed, plus it was 9pm and the sun was pretty much down...i got it all back together about 15 minutes ago

in case anyone is wondering i had been hovering all day with no problem. till a buddy and girlfriend wanted pictures at the end of the day and the motor kept bogging down at full throttle, knowing i needed to adjust the carb i thought i could atleast get one more decent hover for a picture, sadly i guessed wrong lol. got in a hover at about 15 feet and it died, nose dropped and into the ground it went semi level messing up the landing gear and muffing up the blasa where the switch and what not was at....lesson learned in all this, peer pressure can me a nasty mother with the influence of the words " just give it one last try" lol. but in all it was fun and it will fly again

picture of the landing gear after the belly flop....they are now straight again

this is how the plane usually looks

Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
flyngfrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, the little tonka plane of your kid is the same as my kid´s plane. jajaja.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol actually its my friends son...him and my daughter are our field mascots i think
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
RC MANIAC119

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK.....here's a quick and fast solution to your problem. Take rag and some alcohol, wipe down ALL the surrounding covering.

Cut a piece of the new Monocote, at least one inch bigger that the entire patch area. Using your Monocote iron, set on about 2-2 1/2,
attach your patch to the newly cleaned area....DON'T BOTHER STICKING IT TO THE BARE WOOD....YOU HAVE TOO MUCH SUPER GLUE ON IT!

When you have the patch completely sealed on the existing monocote, take your heat gun, and shrink the wrinkles out of the Monocote...shrink it to the wood parts!!! IT'S JUST THAT EASY!!!!

Remember....it's a Profile...they can't see the patch from 10 feet away!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol kinda what i thought to, i like my profile but im sure it will be beat up alot more before its retired, i tend to learn new tricks on realflight, then move to a foamy, and then to the profile. but i hate hate hate hate nitro and always dealing with the carb, i have only had a couple bad landings and then this happen all of them starting from the engine dieing out...i cant wait till next summer when i finally have my first gas plane
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
RC MANIAC119

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your flame out problem was probably a too lean setting....open that needle up a quarter turn. NEVER MIND......I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR PICTURE AGAIN....

Your problem is those zippy ties on the fuel tank, and NO insulation underneath it!!!!! Remove the tank, and take those zippy ties and toss em in the trash.

Get a slice of EPP foam, and a wire cote hanger. Bend the hanger so that it goes through the zippy holes, and put a hook on each end. Place the EPP foam under the tank, and use rubber bands to hold it together. Remember, it DOES NOT have to be held on like super glue....just snug enough to stay there!!!

I guarantee the tank bubbles, and flame outs will magically disappear!!!

GOOD LUCK
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the info. mine only tends to happen towards the end of the day, i can set it up when i get to the field around 2pm and by 8:30pm it will start acting up. think alot of it is from me just not wanting to mess with it lol. but i think im going to go ahead and do what you was saying jsut for the added insurance and piece of mind that the next time it happens is because of me lol
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: andizzle
but i hate hate hate hate nitro and always dealing with the carb
It really isn't all that hard. A glow engine will run all season long with nothing but minor adjustments. Once I get the needle set on my glow engines it's usualy set it and forget it for the day.
1. Start the engine.
2. Lean to max rpm at wide open throttle (wot)
3. Point the nose straight up at wot and OPEN needle to get rid of the lean out sag.
4. Then put the plane back down and OPEN the needle 1 or 2 more clicks ( not 1/4 turn thats way too much)
RCM119 Made a good piont on insulating the tank from vibration.
ORIGINAL: andizzle
i cant wait till next summer when i finally have my first gas plane
Gas engines have there "carb" issues too, as well as ignition noise interference concerns. There's no free lunch if it's a IC engine there will always be adjustments that have to be made.

Darren
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think RCManiac119 hit on the problem. It looks as though you have soaked the piece of wood with CA. You will have great difficulty sticking monocote to CA.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should look into the Tetherite LG from OMP. It is much more durable than the alum gear.

david
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
andizzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i been looking into a omp planes and they deffantly seem worth the money, this profile is just to keep me busy till i buy a 50cc rtf planeoff a friend next month
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The most common problem when preparing an area to cover is to touch it with your skin. Don't ever use your hand to wipe an area clean. The oils from your skin will prevent the covering from sticking properly.

I use a compressor and nozzle to blow all dust off from any area that is ready to cover. This is followed by a wipe with clean paper towel wet with acetone. Don't smoke or have any source of fire when using acetone or you will have an exciting event!

Even poor adhesive Moneycote will stick well if this is done.

I also wipe any areas where overlapping covering needs to be applied before the next piece goes on with some acetone. The covering will stick to the other layer so well that it is almost impossible to pull it back off.

The secret for good adhesion is to be dust free and no oils.

This is my experience.

Bliksem