Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crash on second maiden flight

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crash on second maiden flight

Old 08-20-2003, 01:49 PM
EagleOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash on second maiden flight

Well, well, well.......The second maiden flight after the reconstruction due to an earlier crash. Thewetaher couldn't have been better, clear blue sky, no wind at all, comfortable temparature....Needless to say, the aircraft crashed. I started the takeoff roll, when the aircraft was in the middle of it, the engine lost RPM and recovered soon after, well that's no problem. Got at take off speed, pulled up. The aircraft climbed fine for some 3 meters, then all of sudden it banked hardly to the left. I managed to recover, and since I was very close to the ground and with a lot of runway left, I cut throttle to idle and leveled it to land and see what happened. Then again the aircraft banked violently to the left and *crash*, it landed upside down. Damage wasn't very extensive because it hit very soft land. But was enough to separate the wing and break the right tip LE, and the ply engine housing up front. Also the main gear was ripped of (I don't know why, since it landed upside down......).

After analysing the crash video (sorry but I don't have how to digitalize it ) two things come to my mind as the reason to the crash:

- Radio interferency
- Left aileron servo failure.

For now, the most reasonable reason is radio interferncy. Although noone was at the field, and for some 5 miles I don't know of people having R/C models at home, the interferency could have been caused by 4 things aboard the aircraft:

The copper tube wing joint, the steel screw holding both wings together, the 300 grams of nails in a masking tape package (used for ballast) , and the Z-bend at the throttle arm.

The main reason for me suspecting the radio interferency, is that the right aileron was deflected all the way down, causing the bank, without me giving the command to it be like that, and the throttle incident at the take-off roll.

Here's a picture of how it landed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103151_36068.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	58117  
Old 08-20-2003, 01:51 PM
EagleOne

And of the general damage done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103152_36068.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	58118  
Old 08-20-2003, 01:53 PM
EagleOne

Also, does anyone agree on the radio interferency problem?? When I rebuild, I will change the copper tube to aluminium tube and I will make the tail lighter, so I don't need to add much ballast.

And to clean the engine, any recomendations??
Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 PM
zope_pope

Hey what tx are you using? I had a 9cap do a similar prob, except it was on my elevator. They said it had some bad solder joints when i sent it in to Futaba. I have yet to check it for myself, but will do soon. It was under warranty. I hope that this was my problem because I have spent hours trying to figure mine out.

Adam