Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Former strength !

Hi

This is kinda of off topic but i have a question related to the aspects of a airframe.

The plane is a 40 size Cap fairly aerobatic plane and it has some cross braces broken/missing from the formers. Each former has 2 cross braces one on the top and on the bottom, the fuse of the plane itself is sheeted. How much do u think this will hurt the integrety of the airframe for general flying purposes ?

Iam debating if i should repair this or save weight and leave it be ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Former strength !

I'd replace them. The weight penalty is negligible but you can always use strength, especially on a plane of this nature. You've probably observed that most formers on planes don't have this cross bracing. If the designer went to the trouble of putting these in, they had a reason. Best to be safe than sorry, especially when the job is so quick to do.

Just my $.02

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Former strength !

I concure.  1 hard landing later and the tail snaps off.  Or worse yet, an in flight structural failure.  Loose the entire model.  Repair it to spec's
    ROLL TIDE!!!