Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Former strength !

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Former strength !

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:19 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former strength !

Hi

This is kinda of off topic but i have a question related to the aspects of a airframe.

The plane is a 40 size Cap fairly aerobatic plane and it has some cross braces broken/missing from the formers. Each former has 2 cross braces one on the top and on the bottom, the fuse of the plane itself is sheeted. How much do u think this will hurt the integrety of the airframe for general flying purposes ?

Iam debating if i should repair this or save weight and leave it be ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Scott
Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Former strength !

I'd replace them. The weight penalty is negligible but you can always use strength, especially on a plane of this nature. You've probably observed that most formers on planes don't have this cross bracing. If the designer went to the trouble of putting these in, they had a reason. Best to be safe than sorry, especially when the job is so quick to do.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Former strength !

I concure.  1 hard landing later and the tail snaps off.  Or worse yet, an in flight structural failure.  Loose the entire model.  Repair it to spec's