Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lawn darted brand new 50cc

worthless aurora 9 radio has cost me 2000 bucks, 2 airplanes, and about 300 bucks in excedrin migraine

first crash i took hitecs advice and thought MAYBE it was the receiver, so before putting this radio in my brand new 50cc mx2 i purchased a new receiver, plane flew great from about 10 flights. then just like before it locked me out with no control whats so every. plane looped a few times then lawn darted into a field about a 1/2 mile away...lesson learned from this, im going back to futaba

what was left after the mile round trip to find it and parts, followed by it being sacrificed to the rc field gods lol

Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: lawn darted brand new 50cc

Man, that is tough ...

Its pretty much the worst case scenario when you can't trust a radio..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Man, that is tough ...

Its pretty much he worst case scenario when you can't trust a radio..

Must be a 2.4.

Sorry for the loss, it's a bumber I know. I smacked my second Extra 260 last year. It wasn't a radio failure, but it was more like pilot failure. I tried to do a roll right after take off and I didn't have enough airspeed. "Smack!"

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear of your loss(es) andizzle. Even if you could pinpoint the actual issue you will always have that doubt in the back of your mind as to the radios reliability. IMHO You are making the right choice to replace it if for no other reason than peace of mind.

A couple of questions
    Did the plane have an optical kill switch of any type? If so, Which one?

What batteries were you using?
    What servos were you using?
    Was this the first flight of the day or how many flights had it done before that on the day?

The reason I am asking is that a buddy of mine has had a similar experience as yours and is doing some research. It seems all may not be perfect in the A9 world.

I had a similar problem as you experienced (not with a Hitec - another of the "top 3" brands) and to this day, I can not consider using that particular radio. I also changed to the mighty Futaba and have not had the slightest issue since.
    3W, BME and DA all the way. Proven power, Proven reliability and Proven support equals much cheaper in the long term.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andizzle,

Sorry for youe loss. Looks like it was a beautiful plane. Where did you get it???

Thanx Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man that really stinks. Sorry for your loss.

I lost a 50cc a few years ago due to what I thought was a radio failure but it ended up being a power issue. I took the plane off and it was about perfect just to find that once I got 20 feet off the ground I had no control. The plane just kept going in a very lazy climb with an ever so slight left turn at 1/4 throttle until it exceeded about 30 degrees bank and started coming down right into the field parking lot behind the pits of all places. Smashed the wings into toothpicks when it hit.

I got lucky that the wing and the back of the fuse took all the shock from the crash. My engine wasnt even scratched and none of the servos broke/stripped (Which was a major indicator of the power failure). Sounds like you didnt come out as good as I did.

Again sorry to hear about the loss.

Harry
    I fly army UAVs and no its not like flying R/C!

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just took another look at the pictures.
    I think there may have been a contributory factor there that isn't radio related

Everyone knows Ethanol is bad for our engines - look at what it did to yours
    3W, BME and DA all the way. Proven power, Proven reliability and Proven support equals much cheaper in the long term.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Sorry to hear of your loss(es) andizzle. Even if you could pinpoint the actual issue you will always have that doubt in the back of your mind as to the radios reliability. IMHO You are making the right choice to replace it if for no other reason than peace of mind.

A couple of questions
    Did the plane have an optical kill switch of any type? If so, Which one?

What batteries were you using?
    What servos were you using?
    Was this the first flight of the day or how many flights had it done before that on the day?

The reason I am asking is that a buddy of mine has had a similar experience as yours and is doing some research. It seems all may not be perfect in the A9 world.

I had a similar problem as you experienced (not with a Hitec - another of the "top 3" brands) and to this day, I can not consider using that particular radio. I also changed to the mighty Futaba and have not had the slightest issue since.

no there was no optical kill switch of any kind, i pretty much got it ready to fly from a friend

i cant remember the brand name batteries off the top of my head but everything was6 volt.i do know my ignition was a 2500 mah, my rudder was a 2500mah, and everything else was on a 4200mah battery. everything was charged up overnight and i did a extensive preflight (being a real pilot its just a habit and added insurance) checked every batteries voltage with and without a load. i made sure the reciever and antenna was well away from batteries and switches. all my servos are also hitec servos

my outlook is maybe hitec has outsourced work to save money and the quality control just isnt there anymore. all i know is im done with there radios

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol ethanol kicks butt lol

sadly i just got this plane this weekrtf off a friend after drolling over itfor months, and he put a good number of flights on it so i knew his setup was good to go. when this happened yesterday it was only my third day out with it. on a very positive note i sold a 50cc edge 540 i got but never started on to a friend and hehad put it together and flew it a handle full of times over the summer. after we all had time to calm down after this mishap he offered to sell me back my old 50cc airframe for dirt cheap. its reasons like this that i love this hobby and my friends at the field, even when the night is darkest every comes to gether to help you out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just love the '"FINAL RESTING PLACE" for your baby.
    RC MANIAC-PRO BRO 1900-AMA# 95841

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol thanks, i took thewind sockdown and stuck it up there, seemed only fitting to show off my trophy lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Major bummer, but it is good you have flying buddies to take a bit of the sting out of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man I know the feeling.... Same thing happened to me. Two planes.. same result except that my radio was a Futaba.... I switched to Hitec. Lets wish each other luck. Unfortunely, I think it can happen on all of the radios. You just can't put any trust in them after that, even if it wasn't the radio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A9, receiver and module firmware versions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hung my war trophy up in the living room, think it really spruced up the room

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That does look pretty cool. Maybe compound miter the end so it sits flat on the wall, and put some lights on it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i never thought of lights lol

im thinking of taking some of the smaller pieces and makeing christmas orderments for my tree lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I always thought if I ended up with the front of a fuse it would be cool to make an electric wall fan or something.

I wonder if you could rig something up on this to wiggle the control surfaces to music or something?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

u just gave me a idea, i still have the cowling that is messed up, i should put in on the other side of the wall lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I grew up in Philo. Where do you guys fly up there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Guitarman52

I grew up in Philo. Where do you guys fly up there?
    cool deal man i live out behind white cottage...our field is down off tunnel hill rd. in new lex. pretty much out in the middle of a strip mine so we have plenty of room to play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll have to check it out when I get up there. Seems like a lot of fields are located in strip mines and land fills.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: andizzle

no there was no optical kill switch of any kind, i pretty much got it ready to fly from a friend...

i cant remember the brand name batteries off the top of my head...
    RTF from a friend? Did you do the radio instalation or did he? Did your "real pilot extensive preflight" include a range check with the engine running at various throttle settings and with the airplane at various attitudes to the radios antenna? 10 flights "no problems" then on flight 11 theres a problem? Sounds like a battery/charge/ connection problem to me, not a MFG defect.

ORIGINAL: andizzle

my outlook is maybe hitec has outsourced work to save money and the quality control just isnt there anymore. all i know is im done with there radios
    You have no solid evidence to back up this statement. Hightec radios are fine, so are Futaba and JR. To often when a crash occurs, a pilots first instinct is to throw the radio mfg under the bus. Go ahead and swich to Futaba, it's what I fly. You will crash again with their equipment on board, then it will be "Futaba's fault". Right?[X(]
    rrragman
    \"Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half the bee has got to be, vis-*-vis its entity - d\'\'you see?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not nearly enough information here to blame the radio. Flew 10 times no problem then "locked me out", was this the 11th flight of the day? "Plane looped a few times and the lawn darted into the ground a half mile away", was the plane a half mile out when the "lock-out occured? You have 2 years experience and are flying a complicated gas 3D plane with a 3 battery set-up. The lock-out term has been used alot in last few years due to the problem Spektrum radios had with low voltage battery levels especially in planes with digital servos and high current draw and resulting reciever drop-out. Most radio issues are swithch or battery related and not necessarily lock-out but loss of signal between the tx and rx. I know when a pilot gets "behind" a high performance plane at a considerable distance and every attempt to regain control fails it sure "feels" like loss of radio or 'lock-out", but rarely is. Hitec receivers can be set up with one or two batteries, if two are used generally one powers the receiver only and the other the servos, how the rudder was on a battery seperate from the other servos is not explained. Before blaming any brand of equipment more experience with the product being used would be good. As previous poster I believe all the major brands are currently offering very good products, but the more complex they get the more knowledge of teh end user required.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's no mention of the battery chemistry. Were the batteries Li-Po, LiFe, NiMH, or NiCd? I think in some cases (I've witnessed one), the nickel batteries may not be capable of delivering sufficient current for 5 high torque digital servos often found on high performance planes. The subsequent voltage drop causes a temporary radio lockout.

I've been flying an Aurora 9 with Optima 7 on a 50 cc Yak-54 with 5 7955TG servos for two years on A123 batteries (unregulated) with nary a problem (except when the plane flew through the trees - damned Aurora).

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast