Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GP Dazzler's last flight. Caught on video!

I went out this morning for a work day at one of my club's fields. I spent an hour cutting firewood with my chainsaw. I also brought my Great Planes Dazzler along since I have a GoPro camera mount on it for taking video! I wanted to get some video of the local area. I flew up high at first, and then did a couple of low passes. I thought it would be cool to get some video flying over the tops of the trees. One of those trees, was sticking up higher than the others. It removed the right wing. The rest of the plane went another 200 feet across a river. I finally found all of the parts. The wing and a servo are still about 75 feet up a 100 foot tree. Is it worth it to cut down a 100 foot tall tree to salvage a $30 servo? That's debatable. I decided to leave it. However, had the rest of my plane been up that tree, it would be firewood by now.

Here's a link to the YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VmRZLaSj7o

Matt F. AMA #631697
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #115

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GP Dazzler's last flight. Caught on video!

Nice video, at least you were able to salvage that. Things got interesting at about 1:44 of the vid, huh?

Still sorry about your loss. I liked the shot where you climbed straight up over the airfield and could see the runway area below... it made me think about doind something similar.

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting how much the horizontal stab was flexing.
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm pretty sure that a lot of that is a digital camera effect from the vibration.
    Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think so,, that looks like flexing to me too,, that's why it a god idea to add diagonal bracing to any flat plane horizontal surface
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The best two flights to catch on video.....the first flight......and the last flight. All the rest of them look the same. Seriously, sorry man, but the does clear up some equipment for a new plane though! (if there has to be a bright side that is)
    \"that\'\'\'\'s not flying, that\'\'\'\'s Falling with style!\"
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, that was my third Dazzler. All of them had at least 500 flights on them and none had diagonal bracing. I'd regularly put them in full power nose down dives and then jam the sticks in the corners and watch what happened. Never had a stab come off. The Dazzlers all met their ends in other ways. A midair, a fence and now a tree.

I already had a Primo 40 on my work bench when I wrecked my Dazzler. I am putting a 55AX on my Primo. Dazzler had a 46AX. I have a self designed flying wing that will use the 46AX though. It's in line after the Primo. I had actually planned on retiring this Dazzler and giving it to the owner of a Dairy Queen in Soldotna, AK. The owner had an RC airplane theme in there with lots of planes hanging from the ceiling. It burned down earlier this year. They're rebuilding and I was going to give them my Dazzler. Sorry, Dairy Queen.
    Matt F. AMA #631697