Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curtiss P6E rebuild

Hi for many years I have wanted to rebuild my Scratch built P6E, it was converted to CL and when it was flown the CG wasnt checked, so it Stalled on takeoff, my friend gave it to me to rebuild and I want to put it back to RC. It has a 60"+ wingspan and is 2"=1'-0" scale. The damage is mostly in the engine mount landing gear area. he had a 60 size two stroke nitro engine on it, My question is if you were getting a new motor for it I was told go with a 60 size four stroke for torque and sound, plus a larger prop.
    I will post pictures of it as i want it to be a winter project. The other question i have is this plane was covered in silt with dope, probably aerogloss, I have to cut panels out were the servos will go, then recover those areas and try to match the color with available dope of today.
    A challenge to be sure, I do have plans for this plane and I know where the CG is, so I'm looking forward to this rebuild.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Curtiss P6E rebuild

Count me in to lurk on this. An alternative engine might also be a OS 55AX 2-stroke...

Just my $.02

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go 4 stroke, better punch from slow speed and better sound for sure, you may need a .80 - .91 and up to match full output of a good .60 2 stroker. I have no CL experience.
    If going RC make it fly true and fun, it does not need lots of power to fly without lines, Enjoy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Go 4 stroke, better punch from slow speed and better sound for sure, you may need a .80 - .91 and up to match full output of a good .60 2 stroker. I have no CL experience.
    If going RC make it fly true and fun, it does not need lots of power to fly without lines, Enjoy!
    I agree with Nitro a 4-stroke sounds like a winner! A Curtis P6E a real beauty!

Up-Out-& Gone!