Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Busa D8 has a short maiden

This is the second one of these I've had, but not built. The first one had a G23 and was a little heavy, but flew great. This one had a G26 and was a little lighter. The guy I bought it from said it had flown once, but as it sat it was a little tail heavy. So I moved some batteries around, added some weight in the nose, and a few other small things to get 'er ready. I measured the wings, and they were square within 1/4 inch of the vertical stab, and appeared to have the correct amount of washout. Wing incidence, while not measured, was eyeballed and appeared to be correct. It balanced where the book said it should, nice and level. Just like my last one.
    Engine was run up, controls checked, and out we taxied. It came up on the mains just fine, rolled along untill I gave it elevator and off she lifted. It climbed and climbed, and while I was trying to add some down trim it began a turn to the left. I quit trimming and tried bringing 'er back around with the alierons. They don't have a whole lot of authority, so I got on the rudder and that brought her around quickly, but also dropped a wing. And not the outside wing, which I would expect from adverse yaw. I got it back level, and tried turning again, but that resulted in it snapping, and there just wasn't enough room to recover.
    It landed in a tree, and I didn't get a pic of that. The wing was seperated from the struts on one side from what I could see, and when I shook the tree they came down seperately. The left side wing strut was still attached to the wing, but the aft strut upper attach lug was broken. The r/h wing strut was not on the wing or in the fuse, and both the fwd lugs were broken. The strut's lug wasn't broken, but it was, for lack of a better word, unbent. Don't know if that happened in flight or in the crash, but I'm wondering if it didn't happen in flight. The struts looked to be soldered well enough, but one never knows. I certainly didn't pull any "gees", at least not intentionally, so I dont' know.
    Anyway, the fuse broke when I tried catching it, and the wing was split on the trailing edge. It's possibly repairable, but I'm not going to make the effort. The carcass has been stripped and passed on, and the G26 is looking foward to its next home. Another D8? I guess I really should build my own this time....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22606.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1726622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ie97874.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	1726623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98790.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	1726624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt53731.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	1726625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb37880.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	1726626  

In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Busa D8 has a short maiden

Man thats a shame..
    its too bad this plane is notorious fro problems.. It has a unforgiving history unlike the other WW1 bipes. that single wing just needs to be cheated out a little bigger or something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was surprised when I first heard of the DVIII being difficult. It seems that BUSA would have cheated it here and there to really get it to be a good flyer. The heavy climb and need for down trim would indicate the typical positive incidence issue. Not sure how that would effect the turns though.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The first one I had was built by a fellow club member, and I happened to be the third owner, I think. It flew well, but certainly wasn't overpowered. It flew on the wing, and you had to be quick with the rudder to get it going straight down the runway. It flew on the wing, if you wanted to climb, you added power, to descend, you pulled power back. Just that easy. It would snap, but you really had to push it to bring it on. And it was a lot heavier than this one, had a metal cowl, a lot of details and a pilot. I was really suprised how unmanegable this one was.
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I have mentioned on other threads I had two buddies with this plane, and between them they had maybe 40 years flying time, they both had problems with this kit, they made changes, and were still not pleased.. they both sold them before they crashed them...

i am thinking this is just a plane that if really close to scale might need to be 1/3 size to carry the weight? I have watched a replica fly on youtube, I think it was piloted by a woman.. It landed HOT, I really was surprised it didn't slow down more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bumber! One of these days I plan on getting one of those. I saw the Seagull Gee Bee Z and fell in love with it, and decided to put off getting the Busa Fokker DVIII and Funearo Albatros until my finances improve a little better, that way I can afford building a kit the way I want to do it up with a bigger engine etc.

There has been so much talk about the wing incidence issue with the BUSA DVIII, kind of scary when I think about it.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was looking at easytiger's ARF, would certainly be a lot less effort and it dosen't look all that unscale. Maybee I'll just give up on the parasol wing and go with a Maxford Spad...
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Bumber! One of these days I plan on getting one of those. I saw the Seagull Gee Bee Z and fell in love with it, and decided to put off getting the Busa Fokker DVIII and Funearo Albatros until my finances improve a little better, that way I can afford building a kit the way I want to do it up with a bigger engine etc.

There has been so much talk about the wing incidence issue with the BUSA DVIII, kind of scary when I think about it.

Pete
    The thing is, I believe any airplane can be made to fly well. Kept light, maybe change the airfoils some, washout, correct incidence etc. It is known something is a little wrong with the design so asking some questions and making corrections during the build should make for a great flying aircraft I believe. Heck, why even sheet the whole wing? Just make it D tube.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: a65l

I was looking at easytiger's ARF, would certainly be a lot less effort and it dosen't look all that unscale. Maybee I'll just give up on the parasol wing and go with a Maxford Spad...
    Ummm...............

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10747168/tm.htm

K-Bob. The K is silent. \"The only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire\"

My experience with Easytiger Models has been good, two large planes and no problems except they are a little slow. They have a video up on YouTube of their Fokker D8 and it flies great, but it's too small for me. I bring this up because I talked to them at the WRAM show and they said they have a larger ten foot version coming out soon, with fabric covering. I told them to sign me up for one when they are ready. I have never seen anybody really happy with the Balsa USA one, but most of the other BUSA planes fly well. I saw one for sale at a swap meet yesterday, the owner said it had problems, but I have not flown one myself, so take that as second hand experience, which is not worth much.