Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

A horrible day at the Field

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

A horrible day at the Field

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:32 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A horrible day at the Field

Last Sunday, August 24th has to be the worst day of my flying career. It was the second fligh of the day for me fairly new Goldberg Suhkoi. When a sudden deadstick at maybe 30 feet off the deck threw me for a look. Since I was making a high speed pass.....I figured I had enough altitude and airspeed to make the turn to final and land. Well...................I figured wrong. Halfway through my turn it well from the air. Nosed in from 20ft or so. The following pics tell the rest of the story. My pride and joy demolished. Rebuildable?.......it's a close call.......

Neo

Thanks to Jason for the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105319_25744.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	59074  
Old 08-28-2003, 01:33 AM
NeoGenesis

Crash Pic 1

Name:	105320_25744.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	59075  
Old 08-28-2003, 01:34 AM
NeoGenesis

Crash Pic 2

Name:	105321_25744.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	59076  
Old 08-28-2003, 05:37 AM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

OH yea that would be a easy rebuild i may even know someone that would buy it as is if u dont want to rebuild

Thanks

Troy
Old 08-28-2003, 06:36 AM
midnitedew

why would you try to turn around with all the grassland? sheesh our field is surrounded by bean fields and its either turn around or lose your plane.... but in your case just land on the grass and walk a few minutes....
Old 08-28-2003, 08:49 AM
SBR_RV

i would try to rebuild
Old 08-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Braindead

Default Crash

You hear this story over and over again. In flight school they beat it into your head to search for the best straight ahead landing spot, aim for it and stick to it. Turing deadstick is a recipe for disaster.

Sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful bird. Rebuild it man! It'll be in the air before you know it!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:04 AM
NeoGenesis

As long as the plans have all the templates I need.....it'll be rebuilt.....but it's gonna be modded to have a 1.8 rcs gasser installed. The mvvs 1.2 twin I had installed just didn't provide enough nut and man was that a thirsty engine.

Neo
Old 08-29-2003, 02:41 PM
spyder0069

If you start your flying career with electrics you get used to deadsticks. You are flying on the wing with little power to spare with those. I've spiraled a .15 size warbird in on a deadstick when I first started. Thats when you learn not to stall out a low wing on the downwind turn. Luckily it was only 20ft up and landed in a muddy field. No damage. Just had to clean the engine with fuel and I was flying again 5 minutes later. Deadsticks are all about altitude and wind. If I am about 50ft or lower I hit the flaps, point the nose down some to keep speed up and ride it out. Usually if I'm above that and its a calm day I'll make sure the flaps are up and make a easy turn around always keeping the nose down and picking up speed for the turn on to final. Then just line it up and keep off the elevator so you don't stall it out. Thats what works for me. Practice dropping to idle up high and find out what works for you and your plane. I get lots of practice because I have a tendency to run my tanks out of fuel. Having to much fun to watch the clock I guess!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:33 PM
m-dennis

I have been flying for years. I fly gliders, glow and electric. When you lose power, try and bring it down as close to the field as possible without making a turn. (Depending on altitude and visability).
I don't always follow my own advice - I did the exact same thing you did with a Gee Bee 2 weeks ago. So it's easy to do the right thing after you have a chance to think about it and your plane is in more pieces than it started flying with.
My friend always says - "If you're gonna fly 'em you're gonna to crash 'em, live with it or get a new hobby"
Old 08-29-2003, 03:36 PM
NeoGenesis

that was part of my problem. I was 3\4 over file with a 1/4 left to go....flying a fairly new plane.....and too low. All three of those contributed to my Sukhoi's demise.

Neo