Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Satisfaction From Rebuilding

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Satisfaction From Rebuilding

Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 AM
R Verbael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satisfaction From Rebuilding

I am always a bit saddened when I see perfectly rebuildable crashed airplanes in the garbage cans at the flying field. Hell, after I get over the "hurt" that comes from re-kitting an airplane, I always pick up all the pieces and carefully take them home to be inspected and inventoried for what can be salvaged, etc. A perfect case in point is a story centered around a 12' Telemaster that my buddy crashed (second time) and gave it to me to rebuild. I took the challenge and rebuilt it in a couple of concentrated weeks.....this effort is documented in this forum and is available for everyone to peek at. 12' Telemaster Rebuild One Telly pic is attached. Pic shows the former owner, Yuma Mike, holding what was left of the fuse. Both wings were also severely crunched.

As another example, I will post pictures of a nice flying Venture 60...(Bruce Tharp design that predates the 4*40, etc). Great flying airplane that got away from me and I totally munched it. Because I really liked the airplane and looked at the pieces as a challenge, I rebuilt it. Did not take a lot of time and flys as good as ever. NTSB-type crash pics are from 2 incidents....center pic is after last crash rebuild.

I post this to offer incentive to those guys that fill up the trash cans with re-kitted airplanes. Do not go out and buy another ARF....REBUILD[8D].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1735979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57732.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1735980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52362.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1735981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13143.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1735982  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 AM
allelectric

Default RE: Satisfaction From Rebuilding

Hello Jeff Here,
Most people don't understand "build, fly, Crash!, rebuild, fly, Crash" BUT OH us old seasoned pilots and kit builders DO!!!!
Good job I am the guy that WILL pull the parts out of the garbage can OR take the old beat up plane that someone else doesn't want anymore.
Case and point checkout the "Showtime" this plane had been broken every way but sideways and well maybe sideways too. I converted it to electric and what a great plane. Not to mention the fact that I brought it back to life. Alot of time spent on balancing, laterally.
Jeff

May All Your Landings Be Smooooooth!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, rebuilding is very satisfying. sometimes tough it gets carried on a bit much. See my "Older H9" rebuild thread. It would have been more "economical" to trash it, It turned in to a scratch build I'm in the paint stage now and soon will be installing radio gear..
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I also tend to rebuild or sometimes re purpose planes or their parts. I am currently rebuilding an old arf. I am now in the painting process. It is just a few threads from this thread. I really got involved with it.
I have salvaged plane parts from the garbage can that someone else tossed. Or they asked me if I wanted the remains. I still have several wings to turn back into flyable planes. Pulled straight from the garbage can. One wing I have I am going to rebuild into a control line plane. I have even salvaged stabs and turned them into the wing of a control line plane (.049 from a .35 sized rc). If the square area is right and that is what is left of the plane, why not.
Sometimes rebuild is harder than the virgin build was I have been working on my current rebuild for over 6 months now.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hats off to you guys who do it, but I have too many other projects to build new rather than spend all that time trying to fix up something that just ain't worth the time or trouble. If it was an out of production kit or scratch built maybe, but cheap arfs forget it. I use to remodel old homes and when it came time to have my own home I built new rather mess with someone elses old junk. Just my opine
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I've never understood it myself. I have 4 planes in my shop right now that were given to me as wrecks. Three of these are kits that are no longer available. It's really not that hard to rebuild one. It takes longer to tear them down and get a straight starting point than it does to rebuild them. The best part is,now that they have that first splatt out of the way, you can fly em like you stold em. They don't owe you a thing.

David
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll rebuild my planes but not someone elses. Though it's amazing what you find in the trashcan from those who throw money away... I haven't bought pushrods, horns, screws, nuts, bolts. wire gear, wheel collars, etc in I cant remember when.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also enjoy a rebuild and get pleasure from the effort, but... it depends upon the plane. I've done heroic rebuilds on favorite planes but a recent crash of a Spacewalker saw the fuselage undamaged and the wings repairable with moderate effort and I've no desire to rebuild it. It was a nice looking plane, but did not fly to suit me and I no longer want it taking up limited hanger space or engine and radio gear.

I'd have to think that some planes that hit the trash can fall in that category... they are just not given enough value to warrant a rebuild effort. Someone else might give it value... and it is good to see such a plane find a new owner.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 AM
mikeh251

I get satisfaction from building kits and also from rebuilding kits. Maybe that is the main difference between the kinds of people who rebuild and those who replace? I have limits as to when I will stop repairing something and just start with new wood. When starting over, so many pieces can be used from the crashed plane though I can't believe some just throw them away.Motor mounts, tailwires, canopys, hardware, things like these take time to make and can easily be used on the next model. I save mostly everything and try to keep it organized.