Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

"Lower! Lower!"

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

"Lower! Lower!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Lower! Lower!"

The truth...

After a year of flying this plane (Great Planes "Venus" ARF) as hard as I'm capable of flying it, I finally paid for it with an impressive crash.

Dove down from about 1000 feet, and swooped the runway for a fast pass, about 4 feet off the ground....

Near the end of the runway, contemplating my pull to vertical, I glanced away for a moment at another plane in the air. The photo explains the result.

You have to laugh, sometimes, and this crash was a beauty. The plane was probably going 60 or 70 mph, hit the deck relatively flat, and the "spray" from the debris was really something to see. Radio is fine, but the engine was missing from the pile of confetti-like material that was left...

We found the engine about 50 feet out into the tall grass in the photo, making it's total distance from the crash about 100 feet. Wow.

If you're going to crash, might as well make it a good one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105556_2519.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	59173  
Old 08-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Lower! Lower!"

Wow! That must've been spectacular. Have you ever had the cahnce to fly off of tundra? I have heard it is spongy, like a matress. I bet that is easy on airplanes.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:06 PM
cruzmissile

Default "Lower! Lower!"

To get off the subject, how did the plane fly? I plan on getting one next month and I want to know if it's worth buying. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:10 PM
David Cutler

Default "Lower! Lower!"

Originally posted by cruzmissile
To get off the subject, how did the plane fly? I plan on getting one next month and I want to know if it's worth buying. Thanks.
My Venus, with an OS 61 FX, is still my 'back-up' plane as it always seems to be there when i need it, doing everything well. A truly great plane.

-David C.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Mike James

Default Low passes

Cruzmissle,

The plane had no problems, and I had a blast with it... The crash was simply my fault. One of "those things".

There's a review here on RCU of the kit by Marc, the RCU Administratror, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=107 and also a review I did, on my site, at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...us40arf01.html

A truly great airplane... nice and light, yet strong, GREAT in knife-edge/sideslip mode, and not too expensive. I highly recommend it as a fun kit to fly.