Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashed My Ultra Stick Lite 1.20

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashed My Ultra Stick Lite 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crashed My Ultra Stick Lite 1.20

We had our semi annual fun fly yesterday and the wind was blowing a good bit stronger than what is normally flown in. I'd planned to take other planes but loaded the Ultra Stick, my favorite and trusted flyer for windy conditions.

A couple of others with sticks had braved the conditions before I arrived so with some help, the wing was fitted. My six year old grandson was with me so instead of starting and taxing out to the runway, we carried the stick out and set it facing the wind and with he chalking it, started it on the runway so as to avoid the wind flipping it during taxi.

Take off was no problem and a few circuits and aerobatics were performed and then I started playing with the crow mode, hanging the plane over the runway like a kite, making no headway. That helped set the stage for the mishap. The other factors were it was yet a morning hour and the sun was in the eyes on the right side and I wasn't very high. When the plane crossed the sun, I lost good vision of it and gave it some throttle to climb (it climbs rapidly with power in crow mode).

The timing of the power increase may have corresponded with one of the gust from the strong gusty conditions up to the twenties. At any rate, the plane pulled up sharply, the wind caught the wing blowing it over on its back where it is vulnerable in crow mode. Crow and inverted are not mutually compatible (especially when low). I tried to roll the plane upright but it was either stalled in the throws of the strong wind or my orientation after losing it in the sun was inadequate to the effort. In a few short seconds it hit the runway not far away and one could see the front section of the fuselage crumble.

The wing broke free and suffered some but not critical damage. The gear blocks that had been rebuilt remained attached but the firewall and most of the front end was splinters.

It had been looking ratty lately, needing a recovering. About a year ago, I added up the radio flight logs between the two transmitters that have controlled it and it had 87 hours of time. It was without doubt my favorite plane to fly and my goto plane in windy conditions. It gave so many hours of pleasure.

The good news is that I think a heroic effort can save it with a major rebuild and complete recovering. Once before it roosted in the top of a large oak tree with a limb shearing the right wing section completely through and a heroic effort made if flight worthy again. The other good news is that after the last heroic effort, it was re-released for a short time and I've a NIB backup that will now be pressed into service.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crashed My Ultra Stick Lite 1.20

Sorry about that. Do you have pics?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crashed My Ultra Stick Lite 1.20

Sorry, no pics.

I have disassembled the plane and the radio gear all seems ok with only a couple of broken servo horns but the servos operate ok. I will put the radio gear in my old quickie 500 to test and insure all is ok.

The engine (Zenoah G-20) suffered a broken carb insulator block, bent crank (most likely just the crank stud), and a slice into the spark cable. The carb block and stud are easy to replace and neither expensive. The spark cable slice was caused by the motor mount pinching it against the fire wall and is cut through about one third of the shielding and into the dielectric. It is in a place that leaves enough to install a new cap and shorten the cable and can work again but only on a firewall mounted ignition and not the Ultra Stick with the ignition located in the fore section.

BTW... when disassembling a plane for a rebuild, a multi tool does a great job of removing the stabs.