Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Ugh, not so good flying day

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Ugh, not so good flying day

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Ugh, not so good flying day

First up, my friend gets his plane up, flies for about 45 seconds and then a dead stick.

He has a 1/4 scale GP cub ARF. It is the same plane he lost control of last year and plowed it into a gravel pit. Well his engine was giving him problems so he was running it full throttle and misjudged the distance between the plane,,,,, and a tree. I heard the roar of the engine, the unmistakeable sound of branches being moved, then silence. I was busy trying to adjust my OS 51, and I said, tell me you didnt just hit that tree, and as I look up I see what is left of his wing fluttering down. The fuse ripped off and lawn darted 30 yards away. He said he can rebuid it, and probably can, but man what a MESS.

I think he jinxed me. After first fiddling with the carb and thinking I had it right I take off and less than 5 minutes, dead stick. I landed a few feet over from where he landed. I got the plane back and was fiddling with the carb when he did his tree triming manuever. I finally got it smoothed out and take off. I had a good 10 minutes going, and my wife and kids show up, and kids being kids were making noise and distracting me, so I bring mine in to land. The landing was pretty good, actually better than my usual nose over landings. Problem was, and I am kicking myself for not going around, I landed too far down the strip and too close to the edge. The right wheel caught a dip in the grass where it was cut an inch lower than the rest, hooked a bit right and before I could bring it far enough left, smacked the right wing into his pile of B26 parts. Grrr still kicking myself for not going around.

Anyhow, mine isnt too bad, I repaired the cracked leading edga dn busted ribs, just need to recover, but the tail wheel busted when it ground looped after striking the plane. I have a new one on order.. This was my new Kadet, with only 4 flights on it. Not even really dirty yet. Thankfully my covering job allows me to remove from the spar forward without damaging the rest. I only have to replace a small strip of covering instead of large patches. The tail wheel though, not sure how I am going to replace that without cutting through the covering. Maybe I can cut the wire off and snake it out that way.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Sir_Sparksalot
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ugh, not so good flying day

Bummer! Sorry to hear about the loss. I hope the next flights go well.
It must have been in the air. I was flying my new little Blade indoors and struck the props a few times and now it flies in an odd way. Up and forward, and side swiping to the right. I second the statement; ARGH!!
I wonder what it will take to fix the little rascal. Likely more money and more time. Bummer.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, does not sound like a good day - it could be breeding season for Cubs and he was trying to build a nest in the tree....

Good luck guys

Cheers

Bundu
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM
acdii

At least the tail is still good!  

I'm still trying to figure out how to remove my old tail gear without cutting into the covering. The Kadet sticker is back there too and I dont want to ruin it. 
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
acdii

Yeah, got a new tail gear on and didnt have to cut any of the covering to do it. I think this new setup will work better than the one I had on it, too bad I couldnt hide the pushrod, but it will work.  I also used a servo saver to avoid shock stress to the servo.