Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Supersportser crash.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Great Planes Supersportser crash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 AM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Supersportser crash.

Last night I went to the field to fly my foam G.P. Supersportster. Another guy at the field has the same plane. We were both flying on 2.4 radios. My radio is a Tatic 4 channel his is a Futaba 6 channel. When he goes to fly his plane and the first 2 attempts the plane noses over on take off. I figured the reason was the grass was a little high. The 3rd attempt and he is up and flying. I then place my plane on the flight line and take off. Well I no sooner get my plane in the air and I hear his plane crash. I quickly land mine and I walk over with him to his and he starts blammimg me for shooting his plane down. He says my plane crossed in front of his and cut off his signal. I never even saw his plane while I was flying mine. Any one ever heard of this?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Supersportser crash.

He's really fishing for this one Is he of the "It's Not My Fault" generation?

If he sincerely believes that your plane cut off his signal, ask him if he'd like to buy some waterfront property in Florida....

He's totally off base with this one. Even if you two were flying formation, with your plane between his plane and the transmitter, that would not happen. 2.4 signals pass through foam quite nicely.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
outdoorhunting

Sounds like he might be fishing for a new plane from you. If that's the way it happened, there's NOWAY you shot him down. Maybe he had glanced over toward your plane ! He took his eye off his plane for a second. As we ALL know, a lot can happen in a second.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 AM
superfli

Man, I think your right. I thought we were friends. This guy stating calling me everything in the book. I now think he ia a nut.

Superfli
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 AM
N1EDM

If his behavior continues (name calling, etc.) bring it up at a meeting, if only to shut him up. I'm sure your CLub has some rules about proper behavior at the field and this chap is violating them

When everyone else at the club starts laughing at him for his idiodicy at a meeting, he'll shut up and you'll probably start hearing a lot of new and intersting stories about him that you didn't know before.

As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a Maroon"!!

Bob
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Was he also flying a Supersportster?

No, If he's on a Futaba 2.4GHz you didn't "blanket" him in the brief instant you may have occluded his receiver from his transmitter. Maybe if you were flying a 1:1 scale aluminum skinned aircraft - but unlikely even then.

He's groping for excuses since he can't blame the model or the radio . . . unless his install was dicey.

Ask him how he prevents his flight battery from doing the same thing each flight when the model's attitude puts it between hin and the receiver. ;-)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM
superfli

These were identical planes made of foam. The only thig different was our radios. His was Futaba and nine was Tatic.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM
bikerbc

That is ridiculous..The guy crashed his own plane and isnt man enough to take the blame...As pilots we need to realize that when we fly nobody else is responsible for our mistakes...In fact the more blame we can take the better because that makes it possible for us to prevent it from happening again...Thats how I try to look at it anyway...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have been flying for over 30 years. I have been shot down once, and believe me I have crashed more than one plane. That is the beauty of 2.4, we don't have to worry for the most part about radio interference anymore. He is just trying to get you to buy him a new plane.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never lost a plane due to a bad radio.  Bad batteries yes, but not the radio.  The only glich I have had even on the old 72 Mhz was a momentary jerk or poor response.  Even on those systems if you lost a signal when aircraft cross each other, then you have a bad radio.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know, I wonder if both people THOUGHT they were flying the same plane, I have seen it happen before after two similar planes cross path in the air.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM
outdoorhunting

Yup, you might be right. Happened at our club. We had 4 H9 Twists 40s up at same time. Talk about confusing!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 AM
superfli

Even with identical planes in the air at the same time it is up to the pilot to keep track of thier plane. All in all I think that this is what actually happened. He took his eye off his plane and in that moment crashed his plane. In my opinion it was entirely his fault.This is one friend a person really doesnt need.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask him If you cant cross in front of people. .....why don't the reno races and and top gun and everyone at at the hundreds of flying fields every day not get shot down. Based on his two aported takeoffs.. i'd say you have your answer.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

We used to put up 5-7 Cubs at a time. An old timer told me that if I wasn't sure which one was mine, fly the one closest to the ground.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM
N1EDM

Have you and he 'discussed' this any further? I'm curious about what he might be saying.... and who believes him

Bob
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
superfli

I have not talked to him since. I removed his phone number from my cell as well. Most people at the field that know him also know what a jerk he can be. If I ran into him I might smile but will have nothing to do with him.

Superfli
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 AM
paradoxx

2.4Ghz frequencies can go thru walls (depending on distance too) and besides that, its spread spectrum. Imagine the amount of money invested on the new tech to go back almost to crystals!

This is the type of people that they will never loose or never show they were wrong, I dont know him, but I know the type, we also have that type of people.