Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

2 mm and 3 mm plywood

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

2 mm and 3 mm plywood

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Bobhend
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 mm and 3 mm plywood

Plane repair often requires 2 mm or 3 mm ply. Does anyone know where these can be purchased ? All I find for sale is inch sizes. There is one they call 3 mm but it is really 1/8" labeled "3 mm - 1/8" "
I can continue with existing materials but I really would like to get some 2 mm and 3 mm plywood.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2 mm and 3 mm plywood

IMO no need to get to concerned about mixing thickness of ply. I would be more concerned with the quality of the ply.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Bobhend

I've reached two conclusions:
There is no source for 2 mm and 3 mm in North America
In the rare event I need exactly 2 mm I will laminate 1/16 and 1/64 ply, for 3 mm, sand down 1/8"

There was a store in Salt Lake City called Allied Development, they had a big sign out front " IF WE DON'T HAVE IT, YOU DON'T NEED IT"

btw, digging back, this question was asked 2 years ago, with the same result. I have found good prices on some thicknesses at Michael's Crafts, and Micro-Mark has good price , selection and single sheet sales. Our LHS lacks key thicknesses and pricing has gone through the roof.

As for quality, everything I have found is good Midwest or Revell birch ply. The stuff they use in ARFs varies from good to fair.

One last note: save everything from the crash site. Tonight I had to have a small piece of 2 mm to do a sandwich repair of a 2 mm bulkhead. There was a piece of 2 mm in the wreckage.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Bobhend

My "3/32" ply came in and it is exactly 2 mm !! This is from Micromark but it is stamped "Bud Nosen Models". One of my LHS shows Sig 3/32 in stock, I am going over to measure it. This is probably old stock. If you look at Tower, they offer 6 pcs 6" x 12" Midwest 3/32 for $ 39.99, which tells me there is a supply problem. The Midwest website has virtually no plywood. It looks like no one is making actual 0.094" materialany more. I would just like to get to the bottom of this and have material on hand to make good repairs.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 PM
mealty43

Mmm interesting. The problem is that manufacturers sometimes move onto focus on other models and so stop making parts for the older models. This can lead to some frustration for consumers. Amazing thing is that we are able to use whatever we have to fix these older models. Case in point - There are cars made in the 1950s in Cuba that are still being driven on their streets with parts that have been modified from other cars, machinery, etc., because there are no more parts available for those cars in Cuba.

Sorry to ramble but it your post is interesting.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Bobhend

I received the following email from the good folks at Bud Nosen Models:

"This is what I do know. We import all our plywood from the country of Finland. It comes into us in mm not inches with the exception of the Italian Poplar (or lite ply). Our vendor tells us at this time, there is only one manufacturer of this type of plywood in the world. (finding that a little hard to believe, but ok) We convert the mm to the nearest imperial size as we believe most of our competitors do.

I don't really believe that you can get a true 3/32 (at least not from the company we are dealing with), but I do have a call into Bud as he is not in Minnesota at the moment. "

Case closed ! I believe it when she said there is only one manufacturer. It would be interesting too know what the airplane manufacturers in the far east are using though.