Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

bad luck at the feild

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

bad luck at the feild

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:44 PM
3dinfool
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad luck at the feild

So i went to a flying event today where i desided to show off some skills
and i was coming in for landing and something didnt seem right
so i ended tip stalling my plane and it roled over and crashed
so now my Yak 54 is sitting in my basement in 2 pieces
im 17 years old and im on my dads account right now
but im inpatent and i was wondering if there would be anyway to fix my plane,its not to damaged can be repaired
but i dont know if i should take a crack at it or not

sudjestions???
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bad luck at the feild

Anything broken can be repaired. However, you might want to give more details as to the type of plane (balsa, foam or fiberglass) before someone can offer suggestions. As you are seventeen years old, you might also try using proper English.

Cheers,
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He's not English. He's Canadian.

So, we need to know if it's stick & Monokote or glass fibre/FRP, aye?

Foam - recyclable category six.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Photos?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Duct tape the two pieces back together and go fly.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3dinfool

So i went to a flying event today where i desided to show off some skills
and i was coming in for landing and something didnt seem right
so i ended tip stalling my plane and it roled over and crashed
so now my Yak 54 is sitting in my basement in 2 pieces
im 17 years old and im on my dads account right now
but im inpatent and i was wondering if there would be anyway to fix my plane,its not to damaged can be repaired
but i dont know if i should take a crack at it or not

sudjestions???
ORIGINAL: Duplicator41

Anything broken can be repaired. However, you might want to give more details as to the type of plane (balsa, foam or fiberglass) before someone can offer suggestions. As you are seventeen years old, you might also try using proper English.

Cheers,

The bad spelling and lack of punctuation is not his fault. Ever since the motto , "No child left behind", The schools have given up on teaching. Now they (the school system) just passes the kid on and on until they graduate whether they have learned anything or not.

It's not the kids fault, it's the school system and teachers fault.

Frank

Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow up on the above post.

This is a true story, I swear on the box of my O.S. Max .61 SF.

I knew this kid that went all the way through high school. He made A's and B's and graduated with honors. There were only four problems, he couldn't read, couldn't write, couldn't read a ruler and couldn't read a clock on the wall. He could recite the multiplication tables up to the 4's.

I asked him once on how he was able to pass a math test. His answer was,"if we just try to answer it and just write something down, we get it right." I asked him how he was able to pass the TASS test? His answer was, "The teacher reads the question and when we guess the right answer she tells us to write it down."

The kid would play video games from the time he got home from school, until he went to bed. On weekends, he played video games from the time he got home until he went to bed Sunday night. He would put his books on the coffee table when he got home from school and his mother would do all his homework and projects for him. He was never required to take the trash out, cut the grass or clean his room.

How do I know all this? He WAS my step son.

Was this the kid's fault? NO, it was the school's, the teacher's and the mother's fault.

Frank

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 AM
bikerbc

This Young Man asked us for help. Not to be put down. He is only 17 and is showing concideration for his father..I am a senior and cant spell eitherand I am not on here to learn how.Sure you should try to fix it.. What harm can you do? Its broken now..Thereare probably guys at your club that can help advize you on the best way to do the repairs...Or as was pointed out if you give us some details we can help you ...There are lots of very knowledgeable guys on here that love to help..All you need to do is give us enough details and maybe some pics if you can and we will do what we can to help...
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

This Young Man asked us for help. Not to be put down. He is only 17 and is showing concideration for his father..I am a senior and cant spell either and I am not on here to learn how.Sure you should try to fix it.. What harm can you do? Its broken now..There are probably guys at your club that can help advize you on the best way to do the repairs...Or as was pointed out if you give us some details we can help you ...There are lots of very knowledgeable guys on here that love to help..All you need to do is give us enough details and maybe some pics if you can and we will do what we can to help...
I agree to some amount, however you should understand the frustration some of us have when dealing with the "new" type of English. I for one, despise it. I am not the smartest chip off the block and yet, I realize how bad things have become. When I get a text that has little or no thought then I tend to disregard it. Yes, call me "old school" and that is fine with me.

Why is it considered a put down when someone points out factual problems? It is time to take the information we are given and do something with it. There was a day when constsructive information was heeded and we did something about it. Believe me, I did exactly that. I struggled with English and did not pay attention in school so I later in life took some English and Grammar courses to improve my skills.

My English skills still have a long way to go, however I have put in a strong effort to do better as it was pointed out to me just like folks are pointing out to this young man. It seems in this time being dumb in English is totally acceptable and cool. What really gets me is that we have all the tools available to us on the Internet to grow in these areas and somehow it is not worth it [].

To the original poster - as far as the plane. If you have someone in the area that is a builder that would be extremely helpful. Don't throw your parts away and take some time. I am not a builder and I put together a plane that was almost totalled. I even amazed myself that I could do it. The fellow that crashed it was going to throw it in the trash and I asked him if I could have it. He said "Yes" and I took it home and worked on it for some time and finally got it finished!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It isn't the kids fault, its the lack of proper education in today's school system.  I have one in 2nd grade and one starting in K. I am so frustrated with how the system is run, and how many "vacation" days the kids get during the school year.   Add in the new age of smart phones and texting, and their social communications skills go to crap.  It is so sad to see a bunch of kids standing around texting each other instead of talking to each other.   Affairs sad state of today is. 

For that matter there are a LOT of older people whose grammar and spelling are atrocious, those who should know that a lot is not one word and that less is not a substitute for fewer

It isn't the kids fault, and you who bashed him probably scared him away. 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM
flyingdan
My Feedback: (5)

Don't blame me, I'm not my fault.

Dan
Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! get off the poor english, bad school,bad parents soap box and just answer the kids question. When you point your fingerthere are 3 pointing back at you! He is from Canada, and most likely speaks French and English better than most of you guys speak or write english. My apologies to the original OP for the rudeness of my fellow Americans, who seem to forget that all our ancestors came from some where else. If you still need help, please try again, some pictures and constuction type would help. If it's like most 3D type planes it is constructed of lite ply and sticks and you may be able to repair it or it may not be worth the effort. My friend recently broke an extra tail right off on a hard landing because it was so light. He was able to splint it back together using carbon fiber strips and CA. it flew great until he lost it in the sun and piled it in.No amont of CA was goiong to help it this timeOh; and pardon any spelling or puncuation errors, I dun jus come uff the bote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd say for a 17 year old the OP's spelling and grammar were quite good. Some of the posts you read here are so badly written you can't even tell what it is they want to know. Go to the car forums to read some really bad English!

So to answer the question that was thoroughly asked and understood by us all: Yes, it's probably worth rebuilding. Absolutely anything can be rebuilt. It's just a question of how much time and money will it take from you to do it. Sometimes it's easier to just go buy another one, and sometimes it's not. Actually, usually it's not. To get started, remove the covering (assuming it's a balsa plane) from the broken area and see what you're really dealing with. You'll likely find that it looks worse than you initially thought, but once you're done fixing it you'll probably find that it wasn't as bad as your initially thought. All that's really involved in fixing a bad wreck is to glue every broken piece back together perfectly straight and then brace them to be as strong as they were before. That doesn't mean to make every piece so strong that you can't bend it, but rather only strong enough that a light flexing doesn't create more bend at the repair than in the rest of the piece. Also give the plane a very thorough inspection to see if there is cracked wood anywhere besides the main damage. Sometimes the impact will cause bulkheads to pop loose or split wood inside the open structures without any obvious damage showing from the outside. Flex everything to be sure it feels as strong as it should be and open everything up to check it out that doesn't seem right. Then when the woodwork is done, you'll need to fill in the repair crack with some lightweight spackling and re-cover your plane to your standards of appearance.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow Countilaw. My condolences for having to live in the house with a kid like that. I have lots of friends who work in education and I promise it's as frustrating for them as it is for you. (for those who don't know, Fort Worth and Grand Prairie are fairly close to each other) Most of the time when the teachers take a stand on a kid who won't do his work, the parents show up and throw a fit. Going against them is a losing battle for the principals, so the teachers get instructed to let them fail and fix their grades. Parents like that will never make their kids do the work, so there's no point in fighting them just to have the kid fail anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
swify

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

WOW! get off the poor english, bad school,bad parents soap box and just answer the kids question. When you point your fingerthere are 3 pointing back at you! He is from Canada, and most likely speaks French and English better than most of you guys speak or write english. My apologies to the original OP for the rudeness of my fellow Americans, who seem to forget that all our ancestors came from some where else. If you still need help, please try again, some pictures and constuction type would help. If it's like most 3D type planes it is constructed of lite ply and sticks and you may be able to repair it or it may not be worth the effort. My friend recently broke an extra tail right off on a hard landing because it was so light. He was able to splint it back together using carbon fiber strips and CA. it flew great until he lost it in the sun and piled it in.No amont of CA was goiong to help it this timeOh; and pardon any spelling or puncuation errors, I dun jus come uff the bote
The young man in question is from Ontario, so chances are he wouldn't speak french. Quebec is where the majority of french speaking Canadians reside. Having said that I was in NY city a couple of years ago. A fellow on the street was trying to sell me a fake Tag watch, which I resisted buying. Finally giving up on me he asked me where I was from. I told him I was from western Canada.

To which he replied, "If you're from Canada how come you don't talk no french?"
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
partytimedj

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post under, if not Im sorry... I have a Traxxas Jato 3.3 and crashed it pretty bad today.. I bent the aluminium frame, broke the top chasis, broke the front bulkhead and a RF steering adjuster... Is there any advice anyone can give on finding step by step repairs for the bottom plate or top chasis? I just dont wanna screw this thing up. Anyone around Greenville, SC that can help repair it for me? Please advise.....
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

3dinfool, a photo of the plane would help everyone walk you through the process of fixing your plane. Dont feel bad about the earlier responses. I am 42 and a carpenter and dont spell all that great myself. If the firewall is totaled it could be some work. Landing gear, no problem. I wish our club had more younger guys like yourself flying and asking questions.
jason
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

+1 to kork's response.  I've fixed everything from a 4oz foamy to a 100cc Edge busted in half.  Just takes some time, a little head scratching, and the willingness.  You'll learn a bunch too!

Agreed...a few pictures would help get us started!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a viper Q500 held together with duct tape, it boggied at 155mph +
I do believe duct tape is good for 200mph ....?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM
con244

Really you guys are a bunch of D***heads. This kid comes on asking for help and all the majority of you can do is whine about his english? I actually thought it was quite good! In case you haven't all noticed this hobby is gradually being taken over by people who cannot build anything, they buy foam ARF or RTFs stick them together and go out and fly/crash them. Then they just go out and buy another. The way I think of it is if you actually build a plane you are likely to have much more pride in it so you are much more likely to have some modicom of respect for the plane and just maybe for other things as well including people. THAT is what is missing these days with all ages. Respect. Perhaps by repairing this plane properly the op may get interested in building another plane someday. So 3dinfool I, for one, am very sorry for the reception you have received from some of the members of this forum and echo the sentiments of the couple of others and say show us some pics and maybe we can help you get back in the air.
Con
ps sorry if my language is a bit hard to understand but that's the way we talk here in Australia!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

3dinfool

Score: 100
Last Login: 10/1/2012
Status: offline toofast my wing tube holder is made from a picture frame with a built in shelf,my wife bought it at a yard sale for 5 bucks.i cut 7 inches out of it,rejoined and added a upper shelf,drilled four holes for the wing tubes and added a counter sunk piece on the bottom shelf.its pretty handy and was cheap to build.boomer i used e track from a trailer place and mounted them verticaly,you can get the horizontal tracking also.i built the shelf out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood 1/2 inch,srewed a 2x4 on each end and one down the center.i used four attaching plates on each corner which is screwed to the corners and they lock the shelf in the tracking.hope this helps. **************Is this the same guy? 17 years old, married, and still "under his Dad's account"....just wondering. I copied it from an earlier thread. Maybe he is posting under his Dad's membership. If not, I'd say he's got us all fooled. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable about how to build stuff. None of my business...just being nosey.*****************
Old 10-17-2012, 12:55 PM
yak54

Good luck with the rebuild. Don't worry about your English we know what you mean, could have been worse you could have used "text talk" Remember guy's if you are using proper English you spell colour this way and not color.