Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

MOTOR MOUNT REPAIR

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

MOTOR MOUNT REPAIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM
nitro208ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTOR MOUNT REPAIR

This post is more or less your opion on repairing a motor mount (firewall)on a foamy.
I know how to fix motor mounts on foamies,but i have been having bad luck with them.
The type of motor mount that im talking about is the one's that are just a flat piece of plastic that is attached to the main body from the manufacture.I glue up the mount , which is just a flat piece of plastic with one hole in the center and for other holes for the mounting screws.I have used ca(foam safe), expoxy, and a new type of glue that works great on the rest of the plane called fabric tac).Some of you might call it the firewall.
The thing is i get it all glued up( i do wait 24 hours to make sure glue cures), put on the motor and go flying.I get to about may-be 5 - 6 flights and the motor mount(firewall) comes loose and the motor starts to wigel alot. I do use clamps and such different things to hold it in place till glue cures.
Iwant to know if you guy/gale's have any tips and tricks you do and what kind of glue do u use

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MOTOR MOUNT REPAIR

Replace the plastic firewall with a piece of plywood.........you can then use servo screws to
mount the motor, and it will stay in place, until you dork it!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

You could try Gorrila Glue
Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think Gorilla is the problem...........the plastic motor mount does NOT have enough material to grab.......so the screws keep coming out!!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
nitro208ca

I'm trying to fix the firewall that is already in there.It is letting go around the edge's of the firewall.I know about the balsa ply option.I am hoping for some kind of fix for the origanal piece that is there.If i have to use the ply i will
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Live Wire

Let see a Pic if you can . maybe some screws or dowel pins in the right places may help. You can make L shaped brackets to hold it in place.