Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Horrible crash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1sYLUqGD3A

What do you think about the YouTube stablisation?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Horrible crash!

it looks like when it hit, it hit a small hole that ripped out the gear then ejected the firewall and engine, but it didnt look like there was a hole during the walk around, so maybe just a hard landing...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea it just hit the deck too hard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i agree with the pothole theory
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im going to have to disagree with that. He was going to fast and his plane was at a werid angel. The wing tip cought the ground which made the nose of the plane hit at a angel which ripped it out its fire wall. since it was going to fast the wheel cowl also cought the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

really
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like he stalled it at 3 feet altitude and it nosed in. Appears like the actual ground strike was edited out.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What! I didn't edit anything! I dont own any editing software beside Windows movie maker which came with my computer.
    He did NOT stall it, the wingtip cought the ground which made the entire front of the plane catch the ground ripping everything out!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been there and done that - too slow of an approach as evidenced by the porpoise at 43 seconds. It ballooned up and due to not having enough power applied, right wing dipped and contacted the ground... the rest is history.

My not so expert opinion: Not enough airspeed and drove it into the ground.
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's an ARF. All, well at least most ARF's, have weak landing gear mounts. OK I've opened that can-O-worms

He landed to hard (stalled). The wing tip hitting the ground (part of the stall) just exaggerated the problem.

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You gonna fix it?
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not my airplane, and I don't know if he fixed it. I posted the same video on RCGroups, and this is the best response I got so far:
    Quoted from cfircav8r
    "
    Definitely not a stall. I have seen that exact thing while instructing in full scale. you are coming in to land get hit with a small gust or just pitch up too fast and the plane balloons. The common, yet wrong, action is to release back pressure and the plane dives back down too quick to react to. The correct action is to maintain the stick position and even add a little throttle if it seems a little slow. This will slow the descent and allow you to stabilize the approach. The instant you relax that back pressure it will dive, when you maintain the pressure it will still start to drop the nose and start a rapid descent but it will be a more controlled descent and you will still have some airspeed to play with. If you are too near your stall speed you have to either go around or use throttle, not the elevator, to slow your descent.

"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry Satelite, It was a stall, When the plane slowed too slow to provide lift, the right wing tip stalled and the plane fell off to the right and nosed in. I looked at the video several times and see it stall, but the exact instant that the plane hits the ground is not there. The video goes from the plane being about 3 feet air borne dropping the right wing to exploding on the ground.

Now you're the one video tapping by your own admission. Is that your voice saying, "Are you going to rebuild it. If not I would like to give it a try. "

Why didn't you just say, "Hey can I have it!!!!???"

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes thats my voice. Haha your right! Any way let me say this,where our feild is we have horrible thermals (bad for airplanes GREAT for gliders)! And a thermal could have raised the left wing making the right wing drop. And then once you exit the back of the thermal instead of giving you lift it makes your airplane drop like a stone. It happens to me ALL the time in my T-28D and Krill Katana.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

really[8D]
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definetly way to slow and not enough of an angle of attack on the landing approach. On a previous pass at about 30 seconds you can see the right wing dip because he was to slow, that time he was higher and throttled up. The full scale guy says not a stall and then talks about adding throttle if to slow in order to slow the descent and stablize the approach, if it talks like a stall, walks like a stall, and looks like a stall, must a been a stall. Seen alot of RC pilots try to go from trainers that we are taught to float in to big aerobatic planes or warbirds that will not float with the same result. Someone on the video is heard saying "you were to fast" !!!!, guess that is why the plane fell out to the sky?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looked exactly like a downwind landing. Lots of ground speed, very little airspeed so both theories are correct. The strange wind, thermal or shifting or whatever caused a stall but the plane was moving fast enough to cause lots of damage.
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regardless, it was a nice looking plane. Too bad it was re-kitted. So, it's time to build a better one.
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speaking of re-kitting..... my scratch-built Deception lost power just a few seconds after liftoff. The engine struggled a bit then died. Low altitude, low speed, mistakenly tried to turn it around to get back to the runway. Stalled and went straight in vertically from about 30 feet. The wing came off on impact with very little damage. The fuselage was badly shattered and not repairable. I salvaged the undamaged vertical and horizontal stabilizers, and the fiberglass canopy section. I am building a new fuselage, and I need some advice about the LG configuration. The original model was a tail dragger with the aluminum gear set in just forward of the wing mount. This location was too "springy" and it was really tough to make smooth landings. I would like to make the new version with Trike gear. The problem I need advice for is the location on the wing mounted main gear. There is a problem with putting it where the plans specified in that that is exactly where I tunneled the pathway for the aileron servo wires. Moving the LG blocks forward won't work because they'd then be forward of the cg. Putting the blocks behind the servo wires would place the LG well behind the cg and the recommended position (on the plans). The alternative is to put the wing-mounted LG blocks close to the leading edge and make it tail dragger again.

Can anyone comment on whether or not mounting the LG further back than recommended will create any significant problems.

ChiefK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60974.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	1789439  
    Opinions based on thin air will always carry little weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is only one problem with gear being too far behind the CG. You will have to wait for the plane to get to flying speed before applying up elevator. You will have to let the plane rise pretty much on it's own.

If you apply up elevator before flying speed, the elevator will have to life the majority of the planes weight and the plane will "jump" into the air. if that happens before flight speed you are inviting a stall situation. It would be like getting a very nose heavy airplane off the ground.

Rotation is where the plane rotates on the CG and on take off, it rotates over the main gear and the plane will climb out when air speed is attained.

On landing the nose will slam down when the gear is too far behind the CG.

The only good thing is that you will have positive steering when on the ground.

I would just reroute your aileron wires.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director