Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hand-me-down trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hand-me-down trainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
halfmoa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand-me-down trainer

First off, I've lurked for a while and it seems like a dedicated group on here! Glad to be a part of the forums!

I've got a good friend who has been flying for many years. I myself have about 6 years of RC car racing and building experience and I'm a self proclaimed flight sim junkie. My buddy gave me his first plane, a 20+ year old top wing triketrainer along with many of the tools and parts to get it air worthy. (monokote, iron, hinges, balsa elevator etc)

The horizontal stabilizer and elevator sustaned damage some time ago. The stab needs recoated and elevator needs replaced entirely. I've removed the elevator and hinges and removed the monokote from the stab. Today I formed the elevator and covered with monokote. The process was fairly straightforward yet still a learning experience. I carefully applied acetone to the stab to remove old adhesive, sanded down to 600 grit, and cleaned up with a tack cloth. I cut the film and applied it to the underside of the stabilizer doing a thorough job removing bubbles and wrinkles. I righted the plane and the monokote fell off like there was no adhesive at all. (yes, I did remove the clear film coating lol!) I'm thinking there's most likely fuel and oil permeation in the wood which brings me to my question....what on earth do I have to do to get this monokote to stick to the stabilizer? I've read about hair spray, applying thin films of glue, and a product called balsarite which seems like a logical solution to this problem but has mixed reviews.

Any suggestions whether they be a product or a technique would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:42 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hand-me-down trainer

If you are oil soaked, get a can of Texize K2R, spray and dust off.  Badly soaked may need a few applications but this is good stuff.

Tom
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
halfmoa

Thanks noveldoc, I've heard of that product but wasn't sure if there would be any negative aspects of it's use.

I'd still like some thoughts on balsarite if anyone cares to weigh in.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many things you can use to get the oil out of the balsa. Over the years I've used corn meal and oat meal. Brush or spray on alcohol and cover with corn meal over night. The next day, the oil will be absorbed by the corn meal. You can use just about anything that is absorbant. But first you must dilute the oil that it will leach out of the word.

K2R, the fabric cleaner contains alcohol which permeates the wood, diluting the oil, the powder then absorbs it. Don't use MEK, acetone, or lacquer thinner.

Frank
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 AM
klord125

K2R is the product I would use. But I'm a little puzzled that the entire peice of covering fell off? Thats a lot of fuel on the stabilizer as a whole. I could see the front leading edge but the whole thing? Something sounds wrong with the covering material. How did it sand was there fine dust or was it clogging the sand paper?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM
halfmoa

ORIGINAL: klord125

K2R is the product I would use. But I'm a little puzzled that the entire peice of covering fell off? Thats a lot of fuel on the stabilizer as a whole. I could see the front leading edge but the whole thing? Something sounds wrong with the covering material. How did it sand was there fine dust or was it clogging the sand paper?
It clogged the sandpaper completely.

I bought some K2R today and applied it twice. I ironed on a small piece of monokote in the area where the last piece fell off and it stuck fairly well. Not as well as the fresh balsa elevator but it's improved greatly. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
spaceworm

I have used K2R and then Balsarite and had great results. But new Monokote is not nearly as good as old Monokote. I mostly use Koveral or Solartex now.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
halfmoa

Thanks spaceworm, that's what I'm going with.  Impatiently waiting for the balsarite.  I'll post my opinion of the duo with new formula monokote after it's applied.

Speaking of the "new" monokote that I've read so many complaints about...anyone think that it may be a low VOC formula that's changing the properties?  Just brainstorming.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: halfmoa

...Speaking of the ''new'' monokote that I've read so many complaints about...anyone think that it may be a low VOC formula that's changing the properties? Just brainstorming.
That is my understanding, that Calif emissions reqmts forced the reformulation of Monhokote to the current proiduct.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
halfmoa

Well I applied monokote to the stabilizer and it stuck well to all parts with the exception of the areas that had been fixed with an unknown glue in the past (poss epoxy).  I can overlook that on my Kadet, I'm sure it won't be it's last scar.  I'm very satisfied with the K2R!  Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
bufa

a friend of mine at the field was throwing away a hobbico superstar trainer....the monokote had turned to puke-o-kote...really worn and torn...you get the picture.... then when i saw it noticed that the wood was in really good shape....so i decided to recover it in cub yeller monokote slapped on a old trusty 40 and 4 brand new hs-311 and 3" wheels ...FUN FUN FUN...new rule for me...always take a trainer along with your flagship....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19985.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1886294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92845.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1886295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60637.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	90.3 KB