Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Ripped out tail gear

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Ripped out tail gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Ripped out tail gear

I had an impairment of distance last night and clipped the wingtip into the corn, resulting in a ripped out tail gear on my 4*120. The plywood at two holes is pulled out in a hump, so what would be a decent way to repair it without having to hack out chunks of covering and plywood? Could I inject thin CA in there while pressing the wood back in place? Alternately I could move the gear forward a 1/2". but what woud that do to handling?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ripped out tail gear

I've repaired the same thing by ; taking the piece that came out & slightly, slightly, sand orcarve it just a LITTLE smaller; then coat it with 30 minute epoxy, slide it in the hole it made. You let it set up & walla, no change in handling on the ground or in the air !!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM
acdii

nothing got pulled out, the layers of plywood ballooned up under the covering. 2 of the 3 holes are like this, the third just pulled out without pulling up the layers.  It must have come straight out instead of an angle like the other 2 did.    I will know more when I get it in the shop and take a closer look.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
opjose

To add to what Outdoorhunting said...

I've repaired this same thing by sanding down the humps until the surface is level.

Then I'll mix in either microballoons or wood sawdust shavings into a 50/50 epoxy mix, to get a thick slurry of epoxy and filler.

Apply this into the holes filling them completely.

Let it dry for 2 days or more, re-cover if need be and redrill.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
outdoorhunting

opjose, Good to see ya back !! We missed you sharing your knowledge & advice !!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
acdii

Oh this was too easy a fix. I just peeled back the covering, the SIG covering comes off really easy, took the end of my screw driver and rubbed the tear outs down until they were flat again and squirted thin CA all over them. Tailwheel went right back on, no problems. Can't even tell that I did it.

The WINGS on the other hand, I found the joiner box had worked loose and cracked a few ribs, so I removed some covering, and repaired the wings, but the covering tore in a few places, so I patched it with different colors of monokote, so not it has character.