Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First R/C airplane flight and crash

I finally have an R/C airplane. A Super Box Fly 20. It's a hand-me down with very little flying time and only minor damage until today.
    The model had the original Futaba servos from 30 years ago. They would only twitch and move jerky. Replaced with all new Futaba stuff.
    Made three take-off attempts. (Ihave flown other folks R/C airplanes for a few minutes, many moons ago). Really took some effort to get it trimmed and my control inputs traiined. (I have done some computer sim flying at the hobby shop which turned out just like the actual flight!) I did learn on the second T-O that when the model is headed for the dirt: chop the throttle. It had ingested some dirt going in at full throttle, previously. The third attempt, it was going o.k. but got a little sideways, and I closed the throttle prematurely. It cartwheeled and broke off the tail. The reason why I"m telling all this is because it plays into the final flight. This model has balsa inner structure with a thin foam shell and tail pieces. Iwent to the Hobby Shop and bought CA for Foam. Glued the tail feathers back on. The contact area for the glue was minimal, but it felt solid and the controls operated normal. So off we go, again. This time I get it airborne and out across the field it goes. It's really moving. I go for altitude so Ihave some room to manuveur. It's making abrupt direction and pitch changes. I try to be smoother. I reduce power and now it's getting hard to see the model because of the distance. I turn it some. I'm guessing it's about 150' up and over the forest next to the big field. I make one more turn and it's headed towards me.
    But, it wants to veer left. Quickly, Ijam the rudder trim full Right. Doesn't help. Time to get it on the ground. I reduce power and descend into a large gap in the trees, which is an adjoining field. (The flying area is shaped like a giant L) I"m running out of room. It won't turn Right to come over to the larger field. I'm thinking I can add power and climb above the trees and make left turns. I only have time to think about it because what Ididn't realize was how close it was the far tree line.
    The airplane starts smacking through the tree limbs and shedding parts. It got stuck about 60 feet up. I was able to get someone to climb up the tree and retrieve my airplane. I am planning on rebuilding and making it a static display. Anyone got Box Fly 20 parts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First R/C airplane flight and crash

Dude.........you need to get some serious Buddy Box training time......and start with a real trainer!!!
    RC MANIAC-PRO BRO 1900-AMA# 95841

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are right. Some Buddy Box training would be a good idea.

I don't know anyone with R/C airplane experience.Ā* IĀ*could join aĀ* club.Ā* What bums me out, is that on this last flight, I had removed the aileron servo because it's servo arm was bumping against the servos in the fuselage. I think IĀ*could have gotten the airplane to turn with the ailerons. By the way, IĀ*checked after the accident and they were still locked in neutral.

And you are right about "a trainer". IĀ*didn't realize how "hot" this ship was.Ā*IĀ*think something with a .15 or .19 engine would have been better.
    Yes, I know a 25FP is mediocre compared to a lot of other R/C planes. Now that IĀ*think about it, the R/C flying that IĀ*did years ago, that plane had a Fox .19 or something like that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mister Mulligan

You are right. Some Buddy Box training would be a good idea.

I don't know anyone with R/C airplane experience.Ā* IĀ*could join aĀ* club.Ā* What bums me out, is that on this last flight, I had removed the aileron servo because it's servo arm was bumping against the servos in the fuselage. I think IĀ*could have gotten the airplane to turn with the ailerons. By the way, IĀ*checked after the accident and they were still locked in neutral.

And you are right about ''a trainer''. IĀ*didn't realize how ''hot'' this ship was.Ā*IĀ*think something with a .15 or .19 engine would have been better.
    Yes, I know a 25FP is mediocre compared to a lot of other R/C planes. Now that IĀ*think about it, the R/C flying that IĀ*did years ago, that plane had a Fox .19 or something like that.
    Mr Mulligan, I live about two hours south of you. I'm in Afghanistan right now but will be back in November. I instruct at my club and would be happy to help you out if you so choose. Might even be able to help you out with an airframe if you don't replace yours first. What you will find is a bigger plane is easier to learn on. If your interested, let me know and I will shoot you my cell number in a private message so you can contact me in November.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WAY TO GO STANG!!!

Mulligan, if you don't jump on his offer......you are not worthy to fly RC!!

Mr 67 Stang..THANK-YOU
    RC MANIAC-PRO BRO 1900-AMA# 95841

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mr Stang,
    That is a very generous offer. Maybe we can get together some time. Between our two schedules and the weather, maybe we can work out something. Might be a moot point, anyway. I"m out an airplane and engine (the needle valve broke off and is somewhere in the forest). They are not likely to get replaced any time soon. PM sent. Could be fun just to watch one of your club events. I've been to Raeford a few times, nice small town NC.

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

WAY TO GO STANG!!!

Mr 67 Stang..THANK-YOU
    RC Maniac,
    In a way , you might be right. This hobby can be expensive and you got to pay to play. Took a looooonnnng time before Icould afford this stuff and even then Igot it on special deals. Igot the Futaba setup brand new at 50% off because the hobby shop was going out of business.
    Can't really afford to replace them at the moment.... family, bills, ...you know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm trying to upload my first photo to this forum.

Anyway, I found something curious while looking at my crashed airplane. There is a tiny bird feather at the base of the vertical stabilizer.
    Could it have been a bird strike that dislodged the stab.? I know it's a 1 in a zillion chance. I strongly suspect that my glue joint partly failed from the stresses of flight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	He96962.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1797554  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's hard to tell from the picture but with that and your flight description I would venture to guess that the tail was coming apart shortly after take off.

EDIT// What engine did you have installed on the Supe Box Fly? It is probably repairable. You would be suprised how many parts are available for even older engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

WAY TO GO STANG!!!

Mr 67 Stang..THANK-YOU
    That is the best part of the hobby. Meeting other people and helping them enjoy some good ole fashion fun.

The attached picture (stock photo, not mine) is the plane I use to IntroFly prospective flyers if they do not have their own. Mine is equiped with an OS .40 four stroke and will fly at about 4 miles/hour in calm air and 20+ minute flight times are achievable. It is a Sig Kadet Seniorita EP ARF that I converted back to nitro.

Name:	Ay73579.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1797761  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Box Fly has an O.S.Max 25FP. Ihave seen some on Ebay, generally around $30 used and about twice that new. I've searched for just the needle valve and haven't found one. The OS website acutally has a parts interchange list for out-of- production engines but, there is no interchange for that particular model.

I really like the looks of that Kadet.

Yes, Isuspect the tail started working loose when the airspeed really picked up and my coarse control inputs just aggravated the situation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your needle valve is available for $13.49 at Tower Hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCR49&P=ML

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for taking the time to look that up, especially since you are on the other side of the world!!

But, Idon't think that's it. That looks like the setup for Control line/Stunt, hence no throttle.
    Attached are some pictures. One is an engine with the Tower Hobbies style needle valve.
    The other is the carb. that is/was on my engine. The venturi is still attached. The picture is from the O.S.Max website of discontinued engines.
    The throttle arm is still attached also. Ineed the pieces marked by the red lines. The nozzle sheared at the venturi. So the threads are still o.k.

Name:	Om33052.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	1797835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80278.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1797836  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think your right. I have had good luck finding the needle valve you have in the past. I may even have one at home. Look up "Hayes Hobbies" In Fayetteville NC and ask them if they have one. I have purchaced one like yours there before. Ask for Alan and tell him Phil sent you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll call Hayes. Iget down there about once or twice a year. One of the last, true hobby shops. Those folks know their stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you really get stuck for a needle, you can figure out some kind of nipple to put where the broken part is, and use a remote needle. Maybe solder on to the existing threaded part that is in the housing or ? Fox has a remote needle for about $12 that is pretty good as Fox stuff goes. It is a bit heavy but can be bolted to the exhaust flange on most side exh. motors.