Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Wire Wheel Repair (tire off rim)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Top Flite Wire Wheel Repair (tire off rim)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Wire Wheel Repair (tire off rim)

I actually first posted this in the wrong forum... one forum belowthis one on the forums listing... I di get a response that was helpful, but I thought i would put the orignal post here, as this forum is the correct one, and I do not know how to move, or even if I can (most likely the moderator's call)

I appreciate your help.
Don
================================================== ===========================
Original Post:

Hi all !

Does anyone have any idea on how to re-attach the rubber tire back onto thewirerim for a Top Flite Wire Wheel ?

I ran out of fuel and made a quick landing without any damage except the brunt of the force was taken on the two front tires/landing gear (taildragger) On one side of the landing gear, the rubber tire came off the rim.

The rim runs true and I do not want to force anything and bend/damage the wire rim. I bet someone out there has a tip/trick to get this done !

Here are two links to view the Top Flite Wire Wheel:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLX7&P=ML

www.top-flite.com/accys/topq6000.html

Thanks so much in advance.

Don

Old 09-05-2012, 03:49 PM
mkoe

Default RE: Top Flite Wire Wheel Repair (tire off rim)

Is the tire solid rubber? If so Iwould boil some water and when it comes to a boil turn off the heat. wait a few minutes and drop the tire in it and let it stand for about 10 minutes. Then mount the tire. This is how you mount a new tire/band on a bandsaw wheel. Just a thought.
MK
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
dignlivn

I use zip ties, at 6,9 and 3 o clock, then stretch it over
at the 12 o clock position with a flat head screw driver.

It's easier if the rim is off the axel, hope that helps.

Bob
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

mkoe and dignlivn,

I think you so very much for your help and tips on how to get that darn small (solid) back onto the original rim.  I found both helpful and actually employed both!

I did heat the tire in some how water, but only for about 30-45 secs. so as not to be too mushy.   Then, used the tire wraps at the instructed points, and using gloves, and another set of two hands (read wife )  to put tie-wraps on, at 6, 3, 9 , and I then moved to my left, then moved to my right (hey, I think I heard a song like that)... and popped it over the top (12 o'clock).... 
Went perfectly!  I HAD to use gloves, not for the hot tire, but the rim is tough on the thumbs and fingers!  (No, I not a wimp, lol).

Thing is.... dignlivn..... you are the person I got the idea for these wire-wheels for my GP Big Stik 40 !  I never go to the field w/o someone commenting how great they look!   Lots to owe you and you guys really helped me out!

Again, thank you both...

Don  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 AM
dignlivn

Your Welcome, glad it helped.
Those spokes were made for a Stik. IMO

Bob