Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 GP

I am building a Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 and the kit I have (discontinued plane) is missing the windshield. Does anybody know where I can get one. Great Planes has told me they can't help. Seagull is making a decathlon 40 and their windshield is available, does anybody know if the Seagull windshield will fit the Great Planes model?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes Super Decathlon 40 GP

Dude.........go to the store and buy a 2 liter soda!!! The plastic is easy to cut with a pair of scissors, and it's waaaaaay cheaper and easier than trying to find a discontinued item!!!

PLUS, if you make a mistake, you can buy another soda!!!

Good Luck
    RC MANIAC-PRO BRO 1900-AMA# 95841

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the bottle idea. The Decathlon windshield has curves at the sides and the top with the top tying in to the center of the wing so a bottle probably won't work well. The Great Planes Super Decathlon is known for tough ground handling and tip stalls on takeoff so I am hoping someone has a crashed one that they are not going to try to rebuild but that has an intact windshield.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the whole kit including windshield if anyone is interested. It's the Pete Myers version Kit # DE40.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Sig Citabria uses a simple peice of flat, thin acatate. its folded and wraped around the fuse where needed then glued.

Why not make a paper template of the 'shield, place it on some clear plastic and cut yourself one?

your LHS should have what you need, or even a local craft store.

As for the soda bottle, a large 2 liter bottle can be formed with the use of a heat gun, but thats usually done over a form. Works well for cowls too.

Bill S.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #56
    Goldberg Tiger Club #17
    SIG Brotherhood #69

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #135
    http://radiocontrolhobbies.freeservers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

The Sig Citabria uses a simple peice of flat, thin acatate. its folded and wraped around the fuse where needed then glued.

Why not make a paper template of the 'shield, place it on some clear plastic and cut yourself one?

your LHS should have what you need, or even a local craft store.

As for the soda bottle, a large 2 liter bottle can be formed with the use of a heat gun, but thats usually done over a form. Works well for cowls too.

Bill S.
    Thanks Bill,

I have seen the soda bottle heated over a wood plug method and I may try that. I bought the Seagull Decathlon windshield and it is a little large but with some trimming and folding then gluing the same as a flat piece, I think it will work.