Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One second is all it takes.

Was having a good day flying, though it was pretty windy. Forgot my gas for the 4* and only had enough in the tank for a few minutes. Turned out to be a good thing too, Ifound the spar is cracked on both wings where the box for the aluminum joiner meets the main spar, and had i flown the plane like I usually fly one or both wings may have folded. YIKES!

Anyhow, Ithen flew my Kadet LT40 and had a ball with it. Iwas practicing some crosswind landings, and had done 5 of them with really good results, soft landings on most, a couple had a soft bounce, only because of the stiff wind out of the west. The wind was switching around, west, north, west, north, northwest, and gusting, then calm, then breezy, then calm. Unpredictable. Well I was coming around for another T&G, and on final, just as I crossed the threshold, the plane drifted a bit further south than I was comfortable with, and was going to go around, had just hit the throttle when the wind switched from steady west, to dierct out of the north, caught the right wing and flipped the plane over faster than I could have ever imagine, and it drove straight into the ground upside down at full throttle. It went from 10 feet level flight to lawn dart in a snap. Thankfully the OS 52 FS is good shape, no damage, the wing is easily repaired, only cracked the leading edge and a few ribs, should take under an hour to repair, the fuse however is busted up big time.

While I can easily repair it all and get it back to flying condition, what kills me is the stickers will be damaged and look like crap when done. Looks like I will need to make my own using Monokote.

What is interesting about this sport, no matter how good you think you are, it only takes a second for the right things to happen to make it go wrong. One second sooner I would have had enough speed to not flip over. The combination of strong head wind and switching to crosswind kicked my butt today. It looked like I had enough speed, had no signs of impending stall, but clearly not enough speed to prevent a crosswind from getting under the wing and flipping it over.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db83716.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	1804214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85809.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1804215  
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

RE: One second is all it takes.

I'm pretty sure you can get a set of new "stickers" from Sig.
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990
    RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when sex and drugs just taint enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is interesting about this sport, no matter how good you think you are, it only takes a second for the right things to happen to make it go wrong.
    I think that the lesson here is to land when you feel that the conditions are to rough for you. It is also about decision making and when the wind is getting unpredictable it is probably a good time to land. I got caught out like that once as well, cartwheeled a trainer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

uh, yup I WAS landing! LOL
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the advice FLYMAD was trying to tell you was that that plane was not really ment for high wind conditions and unless you were quite experienced you were asking for trouble....Maybe playing around up high might have been better or better yet wait for a calmer day....I know sometimes it is hard to stop playing with our toys but this is an example of what can happen....Part of being a good pilot is exercising good judgment....A big part...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9