Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: No more ARF's for me

When we got into modelling, we loved airplanes. The way they looked, the way they were designed and the way they flew. We had a real interest in airplanes. Before I started flying C/L, I knew what a vertical stab, elevator, aileron and flap was. Most of these guys that claim that if it wasn't for ARF's they wouldn't be in the hobby is because they didn't know what a horizontal stab was until someone told them. They were just used to looking for the "on" switch on their PS3 video game.

The excuse, "I don't have time to build." is a farce. It's really an excuse for, " I don't know how to build." When I started flying RC in 1970, I was taking 18 to 21 hours of college, and working from 11p to 7a in a hospital full time and still found time to build my planes and I have friends that can verify that.

The reasoning, " I don't like to build, I just like to fly." means, "I don't like to work, I just like to play." They don't want to work for the ability to fly their planes. They want to take the Styrofoam toy out of the box and fly it around the yard only when they don't have anything else to do or to impress the neighbors with, "Hey look what I can do!"

It's my opinion anyone that can't build or won't build his airplane, isn't a hobbyist, but a" boy with a toy ".

Frank

Support your local hobby shop.

AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I LOVE ARF's... but only b/c I can go out and abuse the hell out of the things w/o having to worry about my "time" invested into them. My Great Planes electro-stik has been flown and abused so much the bearings are starting to go out in the included brushless out-runner motor. Servo's have been replaced b/c the gears were stripped (in flight), even ripped the gear out of it after 1000+ Full-throttle touch-n-go's (on grass runway fields!)..

That said, I also don't waste my money on any model that I truly like and feel it should be built to full-fill its legacy. Take for instance my FW-190. while I love the FW-190, i would never assemble an "ARF" one as they are nearly all horrible in-accurate in scale outline and IMO is a horrible "replica" of the Real thing. Same goes for the DO-335, F-14, etc.. While some Arf's have fair to average construction, they never full-fill the level of quality I expect for the price of them.

Arf's have there place in the hobby..
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A hobby is an activity enjoyed in your free time. Believe it or not, it is also a HOBBY to fly as well as build so however you get to that stage is up to you, kit build or Buying an ARF. Oh and I have never seen a F3A or IMAC precision aerobatic competition winning pilots building their own models.
    People enjoy this hobby in different ways.....get over it. I am serious about improving my skills so saying "I don't like to build,  I just like to fly" really means " I don't  like to build, I want to spend as much time in the air enjoying this Hobby the way I like"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Then I suppose it won't do any good to let you know that I watch little to no TV at all, don't play video games, and only spend limited time on the internet (RCU mostly). I will state that I work long work weeks and drive 10 hours a week to and from work, spend time with the family, other business work, study theology, then every possible chance I get is spent flying which is something I truly enjoy.

I am guy that will go and fly alone for hours at the time. I do not go and build hours at the time. Again let me mention that I do not desire to build an RC plane. If that was my only option I would not be flying. This must be difficult to understand.

BTW, any time I have left (left over time doesn't happen often) over from my busy week I spend around my place maintaining it and not building airplanes. It should not be hard to reason as to why I like ARFs. They are a perfect fit for someone like me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: do335a
    IMO, all you guys who are apologists for ARFs are fooling yourself on their structural integrity. I've seen lots of them and even tried a few. Regardless of claimed completeness or high grade construction or hardware, including that thousand buck+ 1/3 size CAP 232, all were severely lacking. They did not fuilfil the advertised promise.
    So let me ask you a question about an ARF. How many flights does an ARF need to make to question it's structural integrity or before I would need to care about it's structural integrity?

I have an ARF that was under 200 dollars new and is approaching somewhere around 600 flights now, many of those flights have been hard flying. I flew it again yesterday and put it to the wall! We were even joking at the field of how the plane might one day just fall out of the sky and pieces just float down.

Do I care about the structural integrity since it has already proven to have flown more flights that I ever deemed possible? I did not even think the CA hinges would last that long! Does it bother me that if I had of hand built it it may fly a 1000 flights?

In my perception, the structural integrity argument is somewhat weak as many of the ARFs are very strong for the weight range than home built planes could be if built in the same weight ranges.

I fly with guys that have been builing planes for 30+ years. The majority of the time I put my ARFs through much more aggressive flying than the guys that have home built planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So let me ask you a question about an ARF. How many flights does an ARF need to make to question it's structural integrity or before I would need to care about it's structural integrity?

I have an ARF that was under 200 dollars new and is approaching somewhere around 600 flights now, many of those flights have been hard flying. I flew it again yesterday and put it to the wall! We were even joking at the field of how the plane might one day just fall out of the sky and pieces just float down.

Do I care about the structural integrity since it has already proven to have flown more flights that I ever deemed possible? I did not even think the CA hinges would last that long! Does it bother me that if I had of hand built it it may fly a 1000 flights?

In my perception, the structural integrity argument is somewhat weak as many of the ARFs are very strong for the weight range than home built planes could be if built in the same weight ranges.

I fly with guys that have been builing planes for 30+ years. The majority of the time I put my ARFs through much more aggressive flying than the guys that have home built planes.
    I have to agree with everything you said there, I definately think that the strength to weight thing you mentioned is true. I love flying more than building but I like fixing and if I can restore a crashed model then I do and save money. I think that this is the perfect mix for me. That is all it is really about. enjoying it your own way but it is sad that we ARFers are cosidered lesser modelers than Builders but I really doesn't matter because what it all comes down to is how well you can fly the thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For me the hobby starts with seeing something I like fly into the airport I work at, taking lots of pictures. Then finding a kit that best matches that plane and building it. Then one day getting it in the air. That is my love for the hobby 49% building 51% flying. But that said aI am getting the shop set up and when I do it will be strickly building from plans. That has been my goal from the begining.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hairy46

For me the hobby starts with seeing something I like fly into the airport I work at, taking lots of pictures. Then finding a kit that best matches that plane and building it. Then one day getting it in the air. That is my love for the hobby 49% building 51% flying. But that said aI am getting the shop set up and when I do it will be strickly building from plans. That has been my goal from the begining.
    I totally respect that and think that is fantastic. I love to see builders bring something to fruition from a bunch of sticks! Amazes me and to watch them fly is incredible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"The stick builders have aways impressed me. The thought and work that goes into them are amazing! I was at wbotr and there was guy that had scratch build an me 109 and it was so scale it was a piece of pure art. It took him 7 years to build it. You should have seen the look on his face when I asked him what arf it was. I told him for sure I was just kidding and then told him the truth that I knew it was not an arf because it was so very detailed. It was so awesome

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't get me wrong here, as the OP of this thread, my intention was NOT to bash the ARF, but many others did. I was just exclaiming my great displeasure with having an ARF go Boom because of shoddy construction.  An Almost Ready to Fly plane, that has the covering already on, should not have to be taken apart to reglue everything. Otherwise, you are basically building it from a kit, just one that was put together already.

If I have to do that to an ARF, then why bother? I can build one just as quickly from a kit if I really wanted to.

An ARF does have a place in this hobby. For me it was to have a platform to break in my DEL20 and get to learn the engine, while having some fun too. I didnt want to spend half the summer building a plane just to test fly an engine when I could put one together in a week.  If I had been able to see inside the wing where the joiner box was, I would have gone in and modified it, case closed, but because it is the part of the wing that not only has covering, it also is covered in balsa sheeting.

An ARF is also good if you need a plane to fly while you are building your kit or scratch plane and dont have anything else to fly.

I'm just saying, I am done with ARF's, no more for me, I will stick to building my own, at least I will know it has enough glue, and if a wing snaps off while flying, well I F***ed up then.  The wreck is on me.

The ARF is also good for apartment dwellers who don't have room to build.  Those who say I don't have the time, thats BS, anyone can make the time, even if its an hour a week. You have the time to put an ARF together, you have the time to take it apart and reglue it, so you have the time to build.   Those who say they don't have the skills, thats BS too. No one has the skills when starting this hobby, that's just a poor excuse to not TRY.   If you try and make a mistake, learn from it and move on.

Oh wait, I forgot that is not how its taught any more, you get awarded for failure today, my BAD. 
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ARF's are fine.
    Matter of fact, I just bought one the other day, and I love it. It's slightly different though. It's called an Audi A6
    Sincerity ... Once you are able to fake that, there will be no stopping you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Then I suppose it won't do any good to let you know that I watch little to no TV at all, don't play video games, and only spend limited time on the internet (RCU mostly). I will state that I work long work weeks and drive 10 hours a week to and from work, spend time with the family, other business work, study theology, then every possible chance I get is spent flying which is something I truly enjoy.
    You must think that you represent 99.9% of the ARFers then...?
    Funny how without fail all I ever hear back from guys like you [whenever this topic comes up] is how they spend / waste so little time elsewhere. All I hear about is how judicious / economical they are with their free time. Never ONCE has anyone come forth and admitted to watching 14 hours worth of TV/video games a week and spending 7 hours a week on the internet. If only 50% of that time was redirected to a 3 foot long x 1 foot wide slab of pine building board a typical 40 sized kit could be built in 1-2 hour sessions in less than a month. The truth is very few "men of today" want to expend the effort to build because it would take precious time away from Coach Potatoland.
    Whether this applies to you or not doesn't diminish what I already know about human nature.
    Given a choice, man will take the lazy way out.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thing that annoys me the most, is people who constantly complain about there arfs having improper glue joints, failures, etc.

Just because it is already built doesnt mean you are exempt from checking how good the build was done. It is very easy to inspect glue joints and add glue as needed in items like fuselages. For wings and tail sections, you can gently twost and bend the sub assemblies to test them. If you dont like what you see, or the thing snaps,cracks or pops, then some further examination or replacement parts would be needed. An hour or 2 of going over the plane, can save allot of frustration.
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, time for my two cents. I have been building and flying models since 1953. I have built scratch, from plans, and from kits. I aways have a build on my work bench. I first tried an ARF around 1974. It was a Lanier plane. It lasted about 3 flights before the plastic in the fuselage was so badly cracked that the plane was unsafe to fly and it did not fly well because it was over weight. I tried two ARFs in 1990. These were much better but because of the construction were impossible to fix and they used plastic for cowlings and wing tips. They did fly well but the plastic soon cracked and they looked like sh** after about 20 flights. In 2007 I tried again. First with a GP Escapade 40 which still flys great today and looks new. I now have a number of other ARFs in my fleet along with kit built planes. I take my time in assembling them, add glue, fibergass, and new hardware where needed, and they all fly great. Because of the construction now used they can be repaired and still look great. There is a place in this hobby for scratch built planes, plan built planes, kit built planes, ARFs, and RTFs. They can be built of foam, balsa, or any thing else. They can have no power, electric power, glow power, or gas power. If one perfers one type of plane over others, fine. The diversity in this hobby is what makes it so much fun and interesting. I buld planes from kits now and assemble those ARFs which catch my eye and do not have a kit version or plans available. Not one of my ARFs has suffered a structural failure in flight. All of my planes are glow powered, but I enjoy studying and watching electric and gas powered planes. All are welcomed at our field (including helicopters and turbins) and we all get along. What ever is your thing, do it and enjoy it. Just ignor the people who have to feel the way they enjoy the hobby is the right and only way to do it. There is no wrong way or better way to enjoy this model airplane hobby than the way you do.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wrong Bruce, here have you two cents back!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh and Bruce was just kidding its a forum and so reallythere are no wrong answers. We all like what we like for what ever reason. Me its the building that makes it what it is. All I know is most the folks I have met in the hobby has been great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny how without fail all I ever hear back from guys like you [whenever this topic comes up] is how they spend / waste so little time elsewhere. All I hear about is how judicious / economical they are with their free time. Never ONCE has anyone come forth and admitted to watching 14 hours worth of TV/video games a week and spending 7 hours a week on the internet. If only 50% of that time was redirected to a 3 foot long x 1 foot wide slab of pine building board a typical 40 sized kit could be built in 1-2 hour sessions in less than a month. The truth is very few "men of today" want to expend the effort to build because it would take precious time away from Coach Potatoland.
    Whether this applies to you or not doesn't diminish what I already know about human nature.

I like ARFs and I don't watch 14 hours of TV or computer a week. I don't get your argument, Sure I could build a kit but I DON"T WANT TO. that is how simple it is. I will continue using ARFs due to my good experience with them. That doesn't mean to say that I won't build a kit in the future.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FLYMAD

Funny how without fail all I ever hear back from guys like you [whenever this topic comes up] is how they spend / waste so little time elsewhere. All I hear about is how judicious / economical they are with their free time. Never ONCE has anyone come forth and admitted to watching 14 hours worth of TV/video games a week and spending 7 hours a week on the internet. If only 50% of that time was redirected to a 3 foot long x 1 foot wide slab of pine building board a typical 40 sized kit could be built in 1-2 hour sessions in less than a month. The truth is very few ''men of today'' want to expend the effort to build because it would take precious time away from Coach Potatoland.
    I like ARFs and I don't watch 14 hours of TV or computer a week. I don't get your argument, Sure I could build a kit but I DON''T WANT TO. that is how simple it is. I will continue using ARFs due to my good experience with them. That doesn't mean to say that I won't build a kit in the future.
    If you are telling me the truth, then you do not fit the stereotype that I have illustrated...do you..?
    Are you trying to tell me that the stereotype I have presented here does not exist as the vast majority..?
    The group that I am "homing in" on was the 1st generation that spent way more time playing indoors than they did out on the streets or the school playgrounds...so there is no reason to suspect that this group will have changed their ways as young adults.
    The streets and playgrounds over the past 30 years have been largely without kids playing ball on their own.
    They have been vacant.
    The only kids I've routinely seen out playing ball during these years are in the ghettos.
    Of course there has been some organized soccer [i.e. Mall Rat day care], but that only accounts for a tiny fraction of the free time that this generation has spent. 90% of their time has been spent in front of a cathode ray tube of one kind or another.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Funny how without fail all I ever hear back from guys like you [whenever this topic comes up] is how they spend / waste so little time elsewhere. All I hear about is how judicious / economical they are with their free time. Never ONCE has anyone come forth and admitted to watching 14 hours worth of TV/video games a week and spending 7 hours a week on the internet. If only 50% of that time was redirected to a 3 foot long x 1 foot wide slab of pine building board a typical 40 sized kit could be built in 1-2 hour sessions in less than a month. The truth is very few ''men of today'' want to expend the effort to build because it would take precious time away from Coach Potatoland.
    I like ARFs and I don't watch 14 hours of TV or computer a week. I don't get your argument, Sure I could build a kit but I DON''T WANT TO. that is how simple it is. I will continue using ARFs due to my good experience with them. That doesn't mean to say that I won't build a kit in the future.
    If you are telling me the truth, then you do not fit the stereotype that I have illustrated...do you..?
    Are you trying to tell me that the stereotype I have presented here does not exist as the vast majority..?
    The group that I am ''homing in'' on was the 1st generation that spent way more time playing indoors than they did out on the streets or the school playgrounds...so there is no reason to suspect that this group will have changed their ways as young adults.
    The streets and playgrounds over the past 30 years have been largely without kids playing ball on their own.
    They have been vacant.
    The only kids I've routinely seen out playing ball during these years are in the ghettos.
    Of course there has been some organized soccer [i.e. Mall Rat day care], but that only accounts for a tiny fraction of the free time that this generation has spent. 90% of their time has been spent in front of a cathode ray tube of one kind or another.
    I think you are so far out of touch with reality that you actually believe this garbage.
    Or else where you live and hang out is the Twilight zone.
    All of my work is in suburban (Indianapolis area) neighborhoods full of kids
    out playing ball in the decent weather, and the soccer, football, and baseball fields are so
    full of kids and parents there is no room to fly toy planesever.
    I've been doing this for 27 years now, in the same areas, same schools, same subdivisions,
    nothing has changed, except there are more schools, subdivisions and soccer fields full of kids.

Where the _ell do you think the term "Soccer Mom" came from?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

^ that's not even worth posting

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

804 sure hate to dissagree with you but here they can not find that many kids to play baseball or summer sports and when I go to the school to watch the grandkids I can not believe how many over weight kids there are. Its shocking!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

804, maybe you are and I are just different from all the others that combat is referring to. Combat must live around some real couch lizards. Just the other day someone was talking about cable TV and asked did I watch a certain show. I told them I never had cable and they looked at me as if I were lying. I said why do I need cable, I rarely watch the few channels I have now.

There are some of us around that are not couch potatoes, internet gumby kids, nor live on video games. I suppose some just don't believe we exist. My kids don't watch much TV either. They don't care for most the garbage on TV today.

I don't hate builidng. If I had time it would not be against my ideals to build an RC plane, just don't care to right now.

My little junky ARFs fly quite well Matter of fact, instead of wasting a beautiful evening building, I just got back from the field flying my Extreme Flight 300 88" ARF, plus my 30cc Edge 540T ARF. Man that EF is one nice ARF and so much fun to fly. She is well built, too!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

The group that I am ''homing in'' on was the 1st generation that spent way more time playing indoors than they did out on the streets or the school playgrounds...so there is no reason to suspect that this group will have changed their ways as young adults.
    They have been vacant.
    I think you are so far out of touch with reality that you actually believe this garbage.
    out playing ball in the decent weather, and the soccer, football, and baseball fields are so
    I've been doing this for 27 years now, in the same areas, same schools, same subdivisions,
    nothing has changed, except there are more schools, subdivisions and soccer fields full of kids.

Where the _ell do you think the term ''Soccer Mom'' came from?
    Childhood obesity is at an all time high.
    They have to run public service advertisements on radio and TV pleading with children and their parents to get at least 20 minutes worth of exercise every day.
    Kids are dropping dead from cardiovascular disease now...in past generations it was basically unheard of.
    Diabetes..ditto..unprescedented all time highs...epidemic proportions.
    Kids [all of a sudden] with "gluten intolerance"..? Take a good look at their blimped out parents to see if you can find a connection. This is a "disease" of toxic overload. Too many boxes of Lucky Charms, too many packages of Wonderbread, Little Debbies, Oreos, Frito-Lays, Duncan Hines, Little Ceasars, Happy Meals, etc. and not enough food that comes directly from the ground and prepared to eat when fresh.
    ADD, ADHD, and all other BS maladies of the 2000's are a result of obese parents unable to deal with the physical energy required to keep up with the natural energy of their offspring, so they keep them locked indoors. The poor kids end up diagnosed "hyperactive" due to having no way to burn off this natural energy so the obese parents demand the medical establishment to label these kids with some sort of a "disorder" [AKA ADD, DHD, and all the other BS acronyms]
    The kids are then put on sedatives so that the obese parents can cope.
    So 804, welcome to the reality of today. I know it's ugly and I also know you want to pretend that it doesn't exist..but that is your problem, not mine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

They have been vacant.

Where the _ell do you think the term ''Soccer Mom'' came from?
    Childhood obesity is at an all time high.
    They have to run public service advertisements on radio and TV pleading with children and their parents to get at least 20 minutes worth of exercise every day.
    Kids are dropping dead from cardiovascular disease now...in past generations it was basically unheard of.
    Diabetes..ditto..unprescedented all time highs...epidemic proportions.
    Kids [all of a sudden] with ''gluten intolerance''..? Take a good look at their blimped out parents to see if you can find a connection. This is a ''disease'' of toxic overload. Too many boxes of Lucky Charms, too many packages of Wonderbread, Little Debbies, Oreos, Frito-Lays, Duncan Hines, Little Ceasars, Happy Meals, etc. and not enough food that comes directly from the ground and prepared to eat when fresh.
    ADD, ADHD, and all other BS maladies of the 2000's are a result of obese parents unable to deal with the physical energy required to keep up with the natural energy of their offspring, so they keep them locked indoors. The poor kids end up diagnosed ''hyperactive'' due to having no way to burn off this natural energy so the obese parents demand the medical establishment to label these kids with some sort of a ''disorder'' [AKA ADD, DHD, and all the other BS acronyms]
    The kids are then put on sedatives so that the obese parents can cope.
    So 804, welcome to the reality of today. I know it's ugly and I also know you want to pretend that it doesn't exist..but that is your problem, not mine.
    What is ugly is folks so wrapped up in their fanaticism and stereotyping that they can't see straight.
    Sounds like you spend too much time in front of the tube and believe everything you see on it.

I ain't sayin the world is perfect,
    only not nearly so bad as you paint it.

I'd hate to be that miserable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

^ that's not even worth posting