Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: No more ARF's for me

i've never had a problem with aeroworks or 3d hobby shops arfs, and ive had more than a few hard landings in 20 to 25 mph winds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

804, maybe you are and I are just different from all the others that combat is referring to. Combat must live around some real couch lizards. Just the other day someone was talking about cable TV and asked did I watch a certain show. I told them I never had cable and they looked at me as if I were lying. I said why do I need cable, I rarely watch the few channels I have now.

There are some of us around that are not couch potatoes, internet gumby kids, nor live on video games. I suppose some just don't believe we exist. My kids don't watch much TV either. They don't care for most the garbage on TV today.

I don't hate builidng. If I had time it would not be against my ideals to build an RC plane, just don't care to right now.

My little junky ARFs fly quite well Matter of fact, instead of wasting a beautiful evening building, I just got back from the field flying my Extreme Flight 300 88'' ARF, plus my 30cc Edge 540T ARF. Man that EF is one nice ARF and so much fun to fly. She is well built, too!
    CP has some pretty extreme views on a variety of subjects.
    Ask him about no such thing as parkflyers, cause he's never seen 'em.
    Or, about non-AMA fields, cause he's never seen 'em.
    Or, all the Fascists in the AMA.

I actually fit CP's stereotype.
    I watch too much tv.
    I eat too much carry-out food.
    I spend too much time in front of this stupid box.
    I have plenty of time to carve balsa, and shape into an aircraft.

But, I weigh only 175 lbs. at 5'11", only 10 lbs more than the day I weighed in for 1st day of wrestling practice senior year high school(1975)
    I still ride and race dirt bikes occasionally.
    I still ride my mountain bike on the nearby trails.
    I work my butt off climbing ladders and stairways at work.

AND I ENJOY FLYING ARFS!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

804, maybe you are and I are just different from all the others that combat is referring to. Combat must live around some real couch lizards. Just the other day someone was talking about cable TV and asked did I watch a certain show. I told them I never had cable and they looked at me as if I were lying. I said why do I need cable, I rarely watch the few channels I have now.

There are some of us around that are not couch potatoes, internet gumby kids, nor live on video games. I suppose some just don't believe we exist. My kids don't watch much TV either. They don't care for most the garbage on TV today.

I don't hate builidng. If I had time it would not be against my ideals to build an RC plane, just don't care to right now.

My little junky ARFs fly quite well Matter of fact, instead of wasting a beautiful evening building, I just got back from the field flying my Extreme Flight 300 88'' ARF, plus my 30cc Edge 540T ARF. Man that EF is one nice ARF and so much fun to fly. She is well built, too!
    CP has some pretty extreme views on a variety of subjects.
    Ask him about no such thing as parkflyers, cause he's never seen 'em.
    Or, about non-AMA fields, cause he's never seen 'em.
    Or, all the Fascists in the AMA.

I actually fit CP's stereotype.
    I watch too much tv.
    I eat too much carry-out food.
    I spend too much time in front of this stupid box.
    I have plenty of time to carve balsa, and shape into an aircraft.

But, I weigh only 175 lbs. at 5'11'', only 10 lbs more than the day I weighed in for 1st day of wrestling practice senior year high school(1975)
    I still ride and race dirt bikes occasionally.
    I still ride my mountain bike on the nearby trails.
    I work my butt off climbing ladders and stairways at work.

AND I ENJOY FLYING ARFS!

What I see as the truth, you see as extreme.
    Of course, since you are still height and weight proportional..that completely negates my comments about an entire generation of millions upon millions.
    The "Degeneration" actually began post WWII and JFK tried to counteract it with the JFK Presidential Physical Fitness Program as part of the public school curriculum across the USA. This program was eventually banned by the "OBBG" because it discriminated against fat kids and was claimed that it harmed their self esteem.
    The OBBG were also the creators of the "courtesy runner" in Little League games so that the obese kids wouldn't have to run the bases [in case they put a ball into play].
    If JFK were alive to see this, he'd vomit.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Little Johnny came in last place, lets give him a trophy. Dontcha just love how losing is rewarded? Why bother putting out an effort to do better, when you dont have to!

Nough said.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Perfect example of ARF vs. Hand Built at our field today. I flew my 4 1/4 year old Epsilon pattern plane. Yes I did finally find a loose glue joint but this airplane has an estimated 10,000 miles of flight time on it. Next flight, my buddy flew his brand new 40 size ARF pattern plane. 3rd flight, gentle landing and the LG block blows out of the wing because it was installed with just a little hot glue. He is now looking for wood, covering and repairs. I bet I have fewer hours of construction/assembly/repair time per minute of flight time on my kit built plane at this point than he has ARF. Where's the economy in that? Where's the time saving?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

acdii,
    I know the feeling about shoddy workmanship. You definitely have the RIGHT to expect QUALITY from someone like SIG. I've had two arfs that literally came apart on landing or in the air. One cheap and one not cheap. The manufacturers wouldn't do anything about it.

I think some arfs are great, especially if you don't have the time or space to build something. But too many have serious flaws in them. I'm not a scratch builder myself, but occasionally I do build a stick kit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: albsurfer

I think some arfs are great, especially if you don't have the time or space to build something....
    For several years I had a job with lots of travel and otherwise I lived in a small apartment. Back then my "workshop" was a 3 foot long piece of wood shelving and a box full of hand tools, wood and glue. That was enough "space" to build .40 size planes and whole works stashed neatly under the bed. It was also easy to take this "workshop" with me on the road.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll still buy ARTF's even though this happened to me yesterday, that's because I couldn't build it from a kit cheaper, or from a plan for that matter.

Undercarriage secured with 1/4 balsa triangular stock? I'll replace that lot with some spruce and epoxy....still works out cheaper than buying the raw materials or kit.

The former in the pic below fell out of the fuz while recovering the model!! Absolutely crazy.

Plane is a World Models Cap 232.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87762.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	1813806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93283.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1813807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns44146.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1813808  
    My other plane is an Ugly Stick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What, you think I'm lying?
    Do you have anything worth posting?
    Apparently not.
    REALLY? lol....If you put this much effort into the hobby and building your own planes and you'd probably be a much happier person and stop whining.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When my youngest daughter was little the rec had a basketball tournament where they devided the kids up. They played and my daughters team did come in dead last. And yes she and all her team was handed the same trophys that first place got. I sure got the looks when I refused it. Then I had to explain to my daughter why and what the trophy represents. Her team did not win outside of having fun. In my family we do put up trophys and ribbons but they have to meen something like you really did come in in the top three or won the poetry contest, (daughter was published with that one) my kids knew it was more then entering or just playing the game. They were expexted to do thier best! If they did thier best and it only got them a 4 th place then that was fine. I never told them what sports to play but I did exspect them to play something if it be a sport or an intrument they was to do something in thier spare time because there was no tv. All my girls did do the band in school. And play some sports. Kids will get lazy if you let them. I have never been lazy and would not alow it with them. We worked hard on the weekend and when done we played hard at the basketball hoop or a nice picnic with a frisbie. We kept a pace and to this day my kids have done very well in the job market.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still don't see how we can infer from a wing failure that ARF's are the cause of our nation's plight.

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YES! Teaching them to build and to fly you have taught them to acomplish two things instead of one! It takes allot of time to teach our children. And everything that we do teach them is a feather in thier adulthood hat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was flying a scratch built plane two weeks ago and the wing flew off in the air. I should start an, "I hate scratch built planes" thread now

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And another thing jaybird and this is my just opinion but one I do strongly believe. You teach nothing to a child by ever taking the easy way out! And to me that starts with something as a kit over an arf. You are teaching that child to work with his hand and how to use tools and two of the most important lessons acomplishment and patence.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No maybe just using glue 101 thread!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, I understand. I am a father and now a grandfather. I will be spending a lot of time with my son and his family for the rest of my life and enjoying everyminute of it. When I get a chance I'll fly the planes that I have, both kit built and ARF. I introduced my son to model planes a long time ago but decided it wasn't for him. If my grandson becomes interested in models I'm ready to teach him. If he doesn't I'll still be there to play and run and do all the things that everyone else has stopped doing when ARF's came on the market. I can assure you that my purchase of an ARF or two did not affect my son's ability to graduate from highschool and college with honors, get married, find work and start his own family.

I realize the web site is RC "UNIVERSE", but it doesn't mean our HOBBIES, however we enjoy them, affect the whole universe as directly as some seem to think. We do, but that ARF with the broken wing does not.

Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires, or anything else for matter.

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And I too jaybird understand that your son has done well thanks to his dad! All that I am is saying almost everything to a child is a teachable moment. My girls wanted a boat because they liked fishing so I bought a fixer upper and we spent the winter out in the garage together working on it. When it was time to put it on the lake it was a day that none of them ever forgot. I have heard around the thanksgiving table stuff like dad do you remember when we fixed up that old boat and the fun we had out at the lake on it. And stuff like remember when we built the home made kites and how nice they flew. Or remerber all the time we spent camping and the walks we took? Never have I heard remember how much fun we had sitting in front of a tv watching other people act like they where a family and doing the things we wished we where doing. That did not happen because we where doing them. I am not saying my way is the only way all I am saying is it worked for me. And I am seeing it in my kids familys. In how thier kids are treated and being raised.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like ANY time we spend away from our children causes harm, therefore any activity that does not involve our children should be eliminated. Problems solved.

So, if your children are not with you when you are building, or glueing, or sanding or spray painting or using sharp objects or stuffing servos into a wing panel or a fuselage or running in a new engine or going to the hobby shop or looking on-line for parts and supplies and are not standing with you and flying everytime you go the field then you have destroyed their future and the future of all children on the planet. If you bought an ARF then you might as well write them off as they are hopelessly doomed forever becaue they learn nothing.

Well, that's makes about as much sense as nothing and helps even less.

What were we talking about? Oh yes, a wing broke on a toy airplane...we're all doomed!!!!!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You jaybird to me is person that speaks without thinking first. Good luck to you and yours!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not fighting with you and I'm not serious about what I wrote so please don't dismiss me. The problem is with the written word, you can't tell if someone means it or they are just poking their finger into someone elses written conversation without seeing them face to face. I'm quite sure if we were to meet up some day we'd have a lot of meaningful converstions about a lot of different things...but this thread....

I just think it's silly and a waste of time to take a thread so far as to have it imply that ARF's and those that buy them are directly responsible for the poor state of our world.

ARF's - Bad!

Building - Good!

The Frankenstein approach in case you didn't get my sarcasm.

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jaybird never said your way is wrong. Just what work for my family and I. I knew what did not work and that was how my parents raised me. My dad being an angry drunk and my mother never giving me the time of day. Very self centered both of them. So I choose a diffrent direction. Been on my own since 15 and never looked back or in that direction. Just the fact that we both share the same hobby I know we would have allot in common that we could sit down and talk airplanes or enjoy a day at the field flying. And do apoligize for my comment in my last post. It was rude on my part.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No need to appologize, this is important stuff and can gert very emotional. I'm not advocating any wrong or right either, just that any "arguments" for or against owning and ARF be based on the merits of the model. There are a lot of strong feelings from other people on this thread that are based on their observations and experiences that are valid and true. I just think it's a stretch for some to say that ARF's are the result of society taking a wrong turn and that the spread of ARF purchases has made it worse.

I think I'll go back over the WACO or the Fleet or the WWI thread and see what's going on there.

Kinda sorry I stepped into this quicksand.....

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I still don't see how we can infer from a wing failure that ARF's are the cause of our nation's plight.

Jaybird
    The inference is that our society continues to grow lazier and lazier as the years go by and that the overwhelming popularity of ARFs is a direct reflection of that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So how many fat, lazy heart diseased children and adults, outside of those already involved in R/C of any kind, have even heard of an ARF or know what it means....

Hey, I just got this stuff cleaned off me and now I've stepped in it again.

Goodbye!

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like seeing planes in the air. And had really never gave it alot of thought how they got there till this thread. I am just sayi g what has work for me. But that said at wbotr I did enjoy all the planes in the air but was in awe of some of the scratch built. But that said was impressed with some of the arfs that was so called bashed.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast