Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

No more ARF's for me

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

No more ARF's for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
FLYMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No more ARF's for me

given? wow I wish I was given a composite IMAC aerobat![X(]
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, and he has a few more for me too. There is a loud yellow electric 3D, popular one, but dont recall the name. 

I did say I would not BUY another ARF, and I mean it, but if someone GAVE me an ARF, well, different story!  

I fell guilty taking it though, but after he told me his nephew would just sell it to make a profit, where I would FLY the dang thing, I dont feel so guilty. 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I understand correctly the phrase " No more arf's for me" was not totally an accurate statement.
Would that not be something like " A lie is only a lie if one get's caught".

BUSTED!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
acdii

Would you turn down a $3000 plane if it was offered to you?  What I really want is the engine, its a DA 100cc twin. I could never afford buying something like this, and any ARF I could afford, I would rather build from a kit.  IOW I would not buy another ARF that I could build myself.  The plane I got for Free is very well made, outclassing what is available at the LHS in the size planes I fly. 

But if someone is going to give me a top of the line plane, I'll take it. 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acdii, don't worry about it. Some people are just having a little fun with you. Enjoy the plane! Now I wish some one would give me one like that.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM
FLYMAD

100cc DA twin????? wow jackpot!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
acdii

Damn straight!  $999.99 engine!    The plane is actually a very nice plane.  It feels very fragile, yet strong all at the same time.  It has all the electronics in it too, duralite power panel, JR8611 servos, JR 10 channel RX, some strange little boxes inline with the aileron servos.  Going to have to replace hte battery packs though, they haven't had a charge in them since 2004.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
hairy46

Arf huh,sure changes how I feel about you! Wow free that also changes how I feel about you!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
acdii

ha ha

J
e
a
l
o
u
s

m
u
c
h
?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM
hairy46

Only 3000dollars worth of jealous nothing more!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes! Someone was just playing with you. I feel the same way about Arf's. I also feel the same way about profitable free. Shoot even excessively cheap for that matter.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
acdii

Yeah, I know! LOL 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TqVe9sL1SA&sns=em
foam , its not just for beer anymore !
no guesswork , no "is it glued" if it looks week you add carbon fiber rails , if it crashes its rebuild like a puzzel , if you want $3000 engine sound add a sound module for $200 and you will sound better then a radial , and best part is wing loading , you cant beat the wing loading and how they fly
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
YellowBlueBird

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember Sig turning down a shipment of ARFs due to poor quality. Any chance you got one of those. It seems the shipper that got stuck with them tried to sell'em. This was a long time ago and i never saw any follow up info on the incident.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: acdii

Yep, and he has a few more for me too. There is a loud yellow electric 3D, popular one, but dont recall the name.

I did say I would not BUY another ARF, and I mean it, but if someone GAVE me an ARF, well, different story!

I fell guilty taking it though, but after he told me his nephew would just sell it to make a profit, where I would FLY the dang thing, I dont feel so guilty.
You are so busted! You did NOT say you would not BUY an ARF again. You said something else:-)

BUSTED! You are so busted it is not funny...

Anyway, welcome to th ARF using brotherhood, and good luck with your new ARF!

Gerry
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM
acdii

Of course I could ALWAYS sell off the plane, keep the gear and BUILD a GS Corsair from the proceeds.    That DA100 would fly a GS Corsair very nicely too.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM
corch

Here's the OP....bolded for convienence, LOL.
ORIGINAL: acdii

Ihad a SIG 4*120 ARF, after a few flights I noticed the wings flapping, and found that the spars were loose inside the wings, and stripped the covering off, squeezed them in position and reglued them all, using CA and Titebond, then recovered them. They appeared to be sturdy with no more flex in them, so today Iflew it. Had it up for 15 minutes, gentle turns, no hotdogging, a few loops some rolls mostly half throttle flying, landed, checked the wings and they still appeared to be tight, no flex detected. Iput my Kadet up for a test flight after doing the repairs fom when I had a mishap with a strong cross wind that took me by surprise that flipped it on landing and broke it in half. It flew great, but with the Magnum on it instead of the OS as I couldnt find a new motor mount that matched the old one, but the Magnum happened to be a perfect fit. It flies a little quicker with the OS, but the Magnum is still new, so give it some time.

Anyhow, after Iwas done with the Kadet, and very relieved it still flies well, and lands well, Irestarted my 4* and took off, flying around, and had really relaxed with it and was finally comfortable with the plane where I can relax and enjoy it, and about 12 minutes into the flight, doing large loops, some rols, and few stall turns, hammer heads, etc, mostly at half throttle, and about a minute before I was planning to land, the right wing snapped off, Ihad just pulled up to start a loop when it went Craks, and I saw it flutter off, and the plane start its death spiral. It was done for I had no control over it, so I killed the ignition and spotted where it went into the corn field. I packed everything up and went searching. I am definately getting lost plane alarms for my planes, what a PITA. Ieventually found it right about where I thought it would be, but have not found the right wing, got dark so will go looking for it tomorrow, and hopefully get it before tehy harvest the corn and hope the servo is still good. The one in the left wing appears to have been stripped, so verdict still out on that, but the rest of the gear looks OK, the ignition module got lost somewhere on the walk back through the corn field. The only part still in OK shape is the tail, but its pretty much a lost cause.

This will be my last ARF, after this I just dont trust something that Ididn't build. My Kadet has been thrown around the sky much harder than I did the 4*, and has been smacked into things a few times, and not once did I ever have to worry if the wing would snap off. The construction on the ARF is not very good, the spar does not go all the way to the center, but ends at a plywood box that the aluminum joiner slides into. It looks like that is exactly where the wing snapped off. Iwont know for sure until I find the wing. Now heres the weird thing, the wing that had the most cracks in it and needed the most repairs was not the wing that snapped off. The broken one just needed some reglueing at all the joints, and looked like it was fine.

Ireally liked flying the 4*, but after this I dont know if I will build another one, or something else, but it wont be an ARF, it will be one I build that I know wont break apart under mild aerobatics. It had a couple minor dings hitting corn stalks, once on take off and once on landing, but at very slow speeds, the first one cracked the leading edge at the last rib, the second one knocked the tail wheel off, but the wing was fine. Neither of those should have caused any damage to the spars, at least they would not have done so on my Kadet, but in any case, I am not too thrilled with this.
So you will take free ARFs? You get the engine too? Just call it what it is.... a RTF & BNF.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Maybe the thread should be titled, "Just how much do you love ARFs?"
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
acdii

Well my 4* is NOT an ARF!       I wont BUY an arf, but if offered for free, hell yah I'll take it!    If it blows apart in midair, no money out of my pocket, is there?  If I buy one, well, then spank me. 

Here, let me be more specific to my original post. I will NOT buy another ARF. 

K?  
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
corch

So you are not ruling out BNF/RTF?  Just ARFs?

Consider your chain yanked:P

Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: corch

So you are not ruling out BNF/RTF? Just ARFs?

Consider your chain yanked:P

You guys are cracking me up here!

acdii, are you absolutely sure? Glad I am not drinking a soft drink or I would be spitting it all over my computer!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Luchnia

I just thought of another way around the, "I will not buy another ARF" thing. You could just tell the person to GIVE you an ARF and you can just GIVE them some money and that would technically NOT be buying an ARF.

It is a win/win for all parties! [8D]
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
acdii

No money has left my pocket for this plane I have received.  Swear on my Kadets life!  

However, after looking this plane over, technically it is a kit. Not much different than a preskinned wing, and fiberglass fuse, it just so happens to have already been painted. All the internals have to be installed.   My Kadet was Almost Ready to Fly when I pulled it out of the box, just needed to be glued together.    Now that I have seen what a high dollar plane looks like, no comparison to those things that come in a box at the LHS.  I think the wing has a total of 7 parts, and is all fused together in a mold, not built up with hot glue and covering stuck on. It is impressive, but I would not buy one, I can build it for less. 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
hairy46

Well you out of the I hate arfs club and in the I will take anyting as long as its free club
Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Well you out of the I hate arfs club and in the I will take anyting as long as its free club
Now that is a club we can all benefit from. I will take just about anything if I can snag something I need off of it. I see guys throwing bashed up planes away and I would snatch the control horns off before I throw anything away. Those things cost $$$$ especially the large ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.