Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

No more ARF's for me

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

No more ARF's for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: No more ARF's for me

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

So every pre-ARF stick built plane was the best ever made... well where are they now? Most of them crashed long ago for many varied reasons.

This whole argument is just old people dreaming about what never was and talking about what they wish it was. Your kids are always going to do things better than their parents. Evolution..

No matter what, there is always someone that is going to say they liked it the ''OLD'' way. Milking cows at dawn, walking to school, getting stuck in ruts on the road, gas lanterns, no electricity, hand scythes, prohibition, ... no thank you.. I will take the best modern society has to offer over any dream about an old airplane you built and crashed 40 years ago. You could say it was made out of solid gold... don't want it, don't need it. Do you still build your automobile out of parts?
Not hardly there Pilgrim (to borrow a phrase). I still have several Scale Models that are over 20 years old and are still flown on a regular basis. One that I gifted to a good friend logged over 1000 flights and was still in great condition at his death a couple of years ago. As far as I know, it's still out there being flown.

There was no argument from me (you can go back and read can't you?), but since you choose to attack those of us who are older than you and have been there and done that, consider the gauntlet thrown.

Yes, I do still build the occasional car out of parts. They are called Street Rods. You ought to try it before you knock it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a picture of the first car I built.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15860.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1809021  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Airplanes400

I've since gotten better.
Here's what I built for my ex-wife ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32121.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1809022  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

ORIGINAL: 804

To the OP,
In this thread, I haven't noticed any arfers say you are less of a person for wanting to ''roll your own''.
I have seen a few, however, who seem to feel that those who fly arfs are somehow inferior to the stickbuilder set.[:@]
My main message is that seeing 99% ARFs at the field has taken away a huge portion of what I used to love about this sport...
I believe that the ''RC Experience'' of today is inferior to what I used to know..even if some of the industrial planes fly better or are less expensive than building your own.
Your'' RC Experience'' seems to be measured by how other folks experience RC.
You should work on that.
No..if you truly understand what I said there word for word it has nothing at all to do with what other's think. I think you are just trying to ''build a strawman'' at this point.
No.. if you truly understand what I said there word for word, it has nothing at all to do with me thinking you care what other's think. I know better than that.
If you think today's "RC Experience is inferior to what you used to know, then that is a personal problem only you can work out for yourself.
Maybe find a more enjoyable hobby?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhhh, that's funny right there.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:19 PM
5skyhawk172

Love the VW.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Pig, you could always start up your own club and not allow people who own ARFs,, Win Win
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Pig, you could always start up your own club and not allow people who own ARFs,, Win Win
Typical Drama Queen type reaction to some simple truths and observations of mine that you don't want to hear or even remotely acknowledge.

804...your quote is right there in black and white. At the very least you should stand by what you write. It isn't possible to have any sort of a "RC experience" without having some definite thoughts about it. You know that, so it's no use for you to play dumb.
Try to always remember the advice that Dean Wormer gave to Mr. Blutowski before you post here.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

To the OP,
In this thread, I haven't noticed any arfers say you are less of a person for wanting to ''roll your own''.
I have seen a few, however, who seem to feel that those who fly arfs are somehow inferior to the stickbuilder set.[:@]
My main message is that seeing 99% ARFs at the field has taken away a huge portion of what I used to love about this sport...
I believe that the ''RC Experience'' of today is inferior to what I used to know..even if some of the industrial planes fly better or are less expensive than building your own.
Your" RC Experience" seems to be measured by how other folks experience RC.
You should work on that.

Well yes and no. Sure guys should enjoy this hobby as they seem fit however I have seen that the social aspect of the hobby go downhill. I for one am the type of guy who enjoys the hobby much more when I am out flying with a group of guys. This includes going over to a buddies house to help him build on an airplane, do some covering, painting and on occasion have someone come over and give me a hand. I take pride in the airplanes I build. Most of what I build is unavailable in ARF form anyways. I have no ill feeling towards guys who only want to assemble ARFs, more power to ya! I do have issue with with somone trying to convince me that their ARF is somehow better then what I have built.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Typical Drama Queen type reaction to some simple truths and observations of mine that you don't want to hear or even remotely acknowledge.

804...your quote is right there in black and white. At the very least you should stand by what you write. It isn't possible to have any sort of a ''RC experience'' without having some definite thoughts about it. You know that, so it's no use for you to play dumb.
Try to always remember the advice that Dean Wormer gave to Mr. Blutowski before you post here.

This is getting comical, lol.
I'm not sure you even really know what you are trying to say.
Go back and read slowly our last couple of exchanges.
You are clearly unhappy with the state of this hobby as it relates to you because of the proliferation of arfs, and presumably, those who fly them.
I said nothing about what you think, or what I think you think.
I am only observing that you are letting other folks' enjoyment of arfs get in the way of
your toy airplane bliss. Your problem, not mine.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

To the OP,
Your'' RC Experience'' seems to be measured by how other folks experience RC.
You should work on that.

Well yes and no. Sure guys should enjoy this hobby as they seem fit however I have seen that the social aspect of the hobby go downhill. I for one am the type of guy who enjoys the hobby much more when I am out flying with a group of guys. This includes going over to a buddies house to help him build on an airplane, do some covering, painting and on occasion have someone come over and give me a hand. I take pride in the airplanes I build. Most of what I build is unavailable in ARF form anyways. I have no ill feeling towards guys who only want to assemble ARFs, more power to ya! I do have issue with with somone trying to convince me that their ARF is somehow better then what I have built.

"Well yes and no."
So are you agreeing or disagreeing. I can't tell.
I have no idea about the social aspect going downhill. That seems to be a very general statement that might fit some groups, but not others.
I enjoy the hobby most with fellow flyers, as well.
I like to help folks with their builds, er, assemblies, and enjoy help with mine when needed, too.
Pride is not an emotion I feel towards any of my material things. It either fits the bill, or it doesn't. I only feel pride towards my family and friends.
I am happy that you are happy building what you want, whether arf, kit, own design, whatever.
I feel no ill feelings toward anyone, unless they are trying to pass their unhappiness with the hobby onto me, because of what I like to do. I don't stand for guilt by association.
I too, for the reason stated above, have a problem with someone trying to convince me that their arf is better than what you have built, or vice-versa.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
acerc

The truth is only the truth to those that believe it for those that don't it's not a truth merely an opinion. And it does seem thereare plenty of opinion's going around. A truth for example; The sun neither rise's nor fall's but simply the earth is rotating.
An opinion; Gas is better than nitro.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nevermind!!!!!

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: acdii

Since this thread has degraded into personal attacks and bashing over a post that basically said that I am done with ARF and will build my own from now on, and has degraded into bashing and fat lazy people, I asked the moderators to please close it.

Each and every person has their opinion, and I for one do not appreciate being called a quitter, especially when I am not a quitter. If you want to fly an ARF go right ahead, your choice, some are good some are bad, but I no longer have trust in them.
Unfortunately we do not close down threads simply because somebody thinks that the thread should be shut down. Rather, we prefer to let a thread run it's course until the discussion has completed. We will monitor threads like this and remove any posts that are against the RCU Community Rules, but we're going to do everything we can to let a discussion stay open and run it's course.

Ken

Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok people, let's keep the discussion free from insulting and attacking each other. If you can't discuss this issue without attacking those that you don't agree with then I would suggest that you refrain from discussing the issue. Let's keep the discussion on the topic and away from personal attacks.

Ken
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok people, let's keep the discussion free from insulting and attacking each other. If you can't discuss this issue without attacking those that you don't agree with then I would suggest that you refrain from discussing the issue. Let's keep the discussion on the topic and away from personal attacks.

Ken

wheres the fun in that ?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Airplanes400

Right!
Just when this thread was getting entertaining, in comes Uncle Ken and ruins all the fun!

It was almost as much fun as the Kardashians, or the Jersey Girls. It was like watching three girls fighting, tearing each others hair out and ripping off the other's clothes where they were down to bras and panties. Not nearly as interesting as three girls mud wrestling or pudding wrestling, but it had its moments.

Damn Ken!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM
LTJeeper

I actually like the UFO disguised as a VW Bug better. But this is pretty dang cool too!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM
koastrc

That is it? No more Romans, fat people, or lazy people from other generations? The UFO was a nice touch however. All this beats the crap out of the merits of almost ready to fly air-planes.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: koastrc

That is it? No more Romans, fat people, or lazy people from other generations? The UFO was a nice touch however. All this beats the crap out of the merits of almost ready to fly air-planes.
Hey, I cannot complain, my ARF planes are flying great! This is three seasons and one has close to 600 flights! Not too shabby for those ARF pieces of junk
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Maybe they should be ARFTT. Almost Ready for the Trash.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

My experience with ARF's has been good.
I haven't had as many as some, I tend to find what I like and stick with it for a long time.
In fact, my last new balsa arf purchase was in March of '08.
It is a 50cc Yak 55 with a Chinese engine, both are still going strong today with over 600 flights.
And I fly it hard, half IMAC style with a lot of snaps and spins, and half 3d.
I still have a GP Venus, bought in spring '04, with a couple hundred flights, still looks nearly new and flies great.
I've had 4 Extreme Flight planes, all excellent construction, although after many crashes and rebuilds, none are flying today.
Other arfs have come and gone, some sold, some destroyed, but I can say none of them have been a problem, no wings folding,
no motor mounts flying off, etc.

To the OP,
Careful how you throw that word around. Some of us have feelings.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Somehow missed this post...
Stick, the first time I saw one of your posts in the AMA section years ago,
my very first thought was
"that Stickbuilder is one sensitive guy."
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

My experience with ARF's has been good.
I haven't had as many as some, I tend to find what I like and stick with it for a long time.
In fact, my last new balsa arf purchase was in March of '08.
It is a 50cc Yak 55 with a Chinese engine, both are still going strong today with over 600 flights.
And I fly it hard, half IMAC style with a lot of snaps and spins, and half 3d.
I still have a GP Venus, bought in spring '04, with a couple hundred flights, still looks nearly new and flies great.
I've had 4 Extreme Flight planes, all excellent construction, although after many crashes and rebuilds, none are flying today.
Other arfs have come and gone, some sold, some destroyed, but I can say none of them have been a problem, no wings folding,
no motor mounts flying off, etc.

To the OP,
Careful how you throw that word around. Some of us have feelings.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Somehow missed this post...
Stick, the first time I saw one of your posts in the AMA section years ago,
my very first thought was
''that Stickbuilder is one sensitive guy.''
Yeahrite!

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
acerc

And still is.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I've been thinking about this one a lot and it used to be that everyone was a "builder" and ARF's became an option.

Now it seems to be turned around and most fly ARF's and building is an option.

Do not both promote the hobby in a positive way?

Let's group this discussion into 4 categories:

A. Those that prefer building over flying and lets assume their time is divided 50-50%
B. Those that prefer flying over building and lets assume their time is divided 80-20%
C. Those that prefer only building and very little flying................................... 95-5%
D. Those that prefer only flying ( don't know if this is possible but...).................100%

If you look at the totals for each category (A thru D listed above) each category = %100 PRO HOBBY.

It usually takes me 2 years to scratch build a scale model from plans therefore I buy,build, and fly ARF's to keep me in the air while working on a major project. 2 years to build a model??? Not really out of the norm for a major undertaking especially with other obligations. I have been in this hobby all my life and I have seen many changes. I have also seen many modelers that last longer than their planes AND I have seen many planes that last longer than the modeler. I have seen both planes and modelers that only last one flight. We have club members that have been active for 60+ years and we have club members that come out with their heads on fire and completely dissappear in 2-5 years.

My great Aunt lived to the age of 104 (and 3 days shy of 105) and she said.......... and I quote:

"The secret to enjoying life and staying young at heart is to always keep an open mind and always be willing to accept change."

She was born before the Wright Brothers took to the air and watched a man walk on the moon. Was thrilled when my great Uncle put a lightbulb in the outhouse! Lived through WWI...WWII..Korean War...Vietnam....Desert Storm...and others. Never gave birth to any children but spoiled everyone else's. A sweet little old lady with a revolver in her dresser drawer and knew how to use it.

Builder,flyer,ARF,scratch built, success, failure, fat, skinny, ugly, pretty, pretty ugly, smart, not so smart, stupid ,genius, rich, poor, old, young...........

It's all a part of this hobby in a positive way.

"SPEEDY GONZALES"

Dennis L. Wann
AMA 107306

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.