Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What Cub is this?

One of the guys at my club gave me this Cub. He had a minor run-in with the ground. Cowl and windshield are gone. He was not sure who the mfg is. Looks to be about a .46 size. It had a 52 four stroke on it, and that's what I'm going to use, if it's not too heavy. I'm almost certain it is an ARF, based upon the covering job, and everything looks like it was put together with some type of hot glue, even the firewall. The firewall is in two pieces, so I'm making a new one. It has a 67 3/4" wingspan. The fuselage is 39" from the rudder to the front end (no cowl). The CG mark (part of the covering) is 2 7/8". The rudder and elevator control rods are wood dowels. But the elevator control rod has two wires that come off the wood dowel and hook up to the horns on each elevator. There is a single aileron servo. There is a plastic cut-out for a muffler if a two stroke is mounted sideways. This part is cracked, so I'm going to fill this in as it shouldn't interfere with my 4 stroke muffler. That's about all I can come up with. I did a search based on the wingspan, and could not find anything in that size. I don't believe that it is a clipped-wing Cub.

I've attached a couple pics of the plane.

If anyone knows who made this and where I can get a cowl and windshield, I would appreciate if you would let me know.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53510.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1835928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89519.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1835929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97625.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1835930  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What Cub is this?

Not sure of the manufacturer but looks kit built. Maybe a sig or a goldberg maybe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

not a Goldberg or Sig. Judging from the wood I can see, some kind of chinese arf.
    Cajun Black Sheep Flyers
    Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My guess is that it's a Chinese ARF as well. I'm pretty sure it's not kit built. I did try and search for it but could not find anything in that size. Just had a thought, I'll take a metric measurement and search for that!

There is some epoxy holding some things together. Getting that plastic piece out of the front was a son-of-gun. They did not want that piece to come out. I ended up heating it with my heat gun, and it sort of melted, and then I could cut it away from the wood. I'll give this thread a few days and see if someone knows what it is. If not, I'll try someone's .46 size cowl (maybe Sig?), and maybe make a windshield out of some thin clear plastic. I just spent the last three hours getting all the oil/fuel out of the wood in the front end. it was soaked so much that I"m pretty sure that's why it was not that damaged in the front from the crash. It's was all kind of "loose and forgiving" instead of solid. Someone had drilled a couple extra holes for different engine mounts and did not fill them back in. That's why the firewall just broke in two instead of shattering the front end.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the metric conversion worked. Here it is http://marionvillemodels.com/rc-shop...e_5500340.html

Now if someone from the other side of the pond would sell me a cowl and windshield without charging me an arm and a leg to ship it. That is presuming there is no JP Models distributor in the States. And if the landing gear strut things (sorry, I don't know the correct name) that go over the wire gear are sold separately, that would be nice.

It would be interesting to find out how the plane made it to So Calif.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Worse case,

You chunk it into some sort of flying shape, paint it flat black, and call it a rat-plane

( Im used to live in Calimesa on Myrtlewood )
    The real Ken of RCU. Accept no substitutes!
    AMA 706166

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MrGoodwreck (I love that name, wish I'd thought of it!)
    I found a supplier in England that has the parts. My wife is supposed to order them for me. They only want $19.00 to ship them. Not too bad.

My family and I moved to Calimesa 10 years ago, and love it here. We moved from Fontana, so anyplace else would be an improvement. [X(]

We live on Avenue L, great little town Calimesa.

And ok, I'll bite....what's a "rat-plane".

I'm a little new to this hobby and never heard that expression before.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A Rat plane is like a rat bike..It is a plane that is safe to fly but other than that you dont take care of its looks...It can be awfull to look at...Some rat bikes stink...Oil leaking etc etc ..They are cool in their own way...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, I have one of these Cubs in my hangar, It is a kit plane, but it is anyone call who make it, I was told my was a house of balse kit, flys great have fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, after several e-mails that I screwed up on my end, I finally received my cowl and windshield from England.

Just have to mount the Mag 52 and a little covering and should be able to get it in the air. If I like it, I'll probably re-cover it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just an update. Rebuilt the front end, patched the covering and took it out for a spin. Flew great three times, made several touch goes. Have it just about completely recovered. Screwed up the motor location on the firewall. It's mounted too low, so the new cowl fits a little off. Could have plugged the holes, and re-drilled it, but too lazy I guess. Looks ok. If I ever need a new cowl, I'll fix it then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok, it's recovered in the NE-1 theme. Here's some pictures.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Interesting. First time I have tried to post pictures with this new format. Guess I'm stupid or something cause I can't figure out how. Maybe this worked?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1915159  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Guess I got it figured out.

Views:	37 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1915160  
    Last edited by mesaflyer; 08-31-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1915170This is the plane I modeled it after.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	1915174And a photo from before I was born. If you look in the back of the row, you can see 224. Coincidence?