Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Christmas Crash

My brother and I went flying during Christmas holidays in 20 degree weather. In 4 days we had 4 servo failures on 3 airplanes. First was an elevator servo that stalled in the down position resulting in a total destruction of the plane. The servo was a new tower hobbies and had 6 flights on the plane before the crash. It was 21 degrees out. The 2 nd failure was a futaba aileron servo that was about 4 years old. The servo just started chattering and would not quit. Luckily the P51 did not crash. It was 24 degrees out. The 3 rd failure was in a new P51 sportster on the throttle. It was a hobbyking servo and after the 3 flight on the plane, I landed and was bringing the plane back to me when the servo went from a little above to wide open throttle and stalled. Luckily I nosed the plane over and killed the engine before it ran over me, his plane and his truck. It was 18 degrees. The 4 th failure was the other aileron servo on the P51. It got sluggish and really slow. It was a futaba servo about 4 years old. Were we flying in weather that was just too cold for the electronics or just a fluke we had 2 new and 2 older servos all fail? We have both been flying over 25 years and never had so many failures on servos.
    Cop pulled me over, he said "you drinking" I said "You buying" ? We just laughed.... Need bail money. Glow Head Brotherhood # 22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Christmas Crash

Did they work again after they warmed up? What kind of batteries were you using?
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iwould think that the temperature had more of an affect on the flight battery pack then the servo's. Cold weather does have an affect on available power output on batteries.

Think about how the cold weather affects your car battery... In most cases there are less cranking amps.

Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

None of the servos worked again. 3 of the planes had new 2,000 mil. 6 volt packs and we took them off an overnight charge before we went flying. The other plane had a year old 2,750 mil. 6 volt pack.
    Cop pulled me over, he said "you drinking" I said "You buying" ? We just laughed.... Need bail money. Glow Head Brotherhood # 22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what kind of servos where they?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There were 2 futabas, 1 tower hobbies and1 hobbyking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well last year i had 3 3004 fail and 2 3010 go nuts all in diffenet planes 4 planes in all ,when i call futaba they try to tell me i put them in wrong or my link was two tide i been doing this for 15 years and never had this trouble before this year i thing its who is making them for futaba now,and tower hobbys servo are futabas with there name on it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have gotten into the habit of always having spare servos available. I have purchased them 10 at the time when they were available in bulk. In this way, when I notice a servo acting as if there may be a problem, I immediately replace it and add a tag to the old one noting the probable problem. This gives me a lot of "peace of mind".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly in the cold weather and as stated the flight packs are greatly affected by cold and do not hold their charge as long or recover as quick as in warm weather. I usually fly older planes in the winter as the cold is really tough on everything in the plane. As far as the servos, I have a two planes with older standard servos and when the temp dips low one servo in each plane slows way down. I'm going to say it's the grease/gear lube they used that is slowing them down. The cheaper servos I have had fail in warm weather and I wouldn't take a plane with those out into the cold. Some of these cheaper  servos have had bad solder joints, etc.. and the cold can make those issues worse.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took the hobbyking servo apart last night to see if I could find what was wrong. I found 1 small wire has come loose from the solder joint. When it failed, it went to wide open throttle and kept going, wrapping itself backward to about 3/4 throttle. It was a new servo with 3 flights on it. I was taxiing back when it failed. My brother was't so lucky as his tower hobbies servo failed as he was making a low high speed pass and the servo locked in the down position destroying the plane. It was new also with about 6 flights on it. I am pretty certain the cold was causing us problems. Neither of us had ever flew in weather that cold. I live in West Texas and we have pretty mild winters here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess I have been lucky as I fly in the winter often and so far haven't had any servo failures..I have mostly HiTec servos with a few Spektrum . I have had a couple of servo failures in the summer..One on a brand new 821 that had a bad solder joint on the motor..There was actually a hair in there and the contact was intermittant...It cost me a plane although I should have caught it with proper pre flight...I did find another one in that batch that was bad and I returned it..I pay close attention to my batteries in the cold weather and I don't fly as long as I do in the summer.
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9