Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seagull Extra 260: after a water landing... unplanned... might be called a crash (doh!)

I recently bought this Seagull Extra 260 with a Pterodactyl 36-r motor and on it's second flight (first with new prop) the motor suddenly went nuts, plane went into a spiral dive that I couldn't pull out of, and the plane ended up in about 1-2 feet of water. After a trip to walmart for boots, I waded out and retrieved the plane. Drained all the water from the fuselage, disconnected battery, took all the foam coverings off (BEC, ignition, etc...) and put the plane in the trailer to dry out.

Pulled it into the house today to start working on it (1 week post-crash) and when I pulled the plug on the engine water came pouring out of the cylinder

I've pulled the head off and dried everything out as best I can. Parts are NOT moving freely though and it seems like there's some residue or rust that formed already. What's the best thing to use for lubricant before putting it back together? Or do I need to tear it down completely.

PS: I was pleasantly shocked to find only a rip in the wing monokote and a destroyed propellor for damage after the crash.

Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seagull Extra 260: after a water landing... unplanned... might be called a crash (doh!)

I'd break it all down.

At least pull the carb/reed block and make sure it's all good there too

You'll want to break it down and get CorrosionX, Marvel Mystery Oil or some sort of rust inhibitor on your bearings, they may already be goners

Hate to kick a guy when down,, but it was very unwise to let it sit for a week when you knew it hit the water. Any Float flier will tell you to clear water out and run the engine for a short time to clear out any water residue
    Next time you know

good luck
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Seagull Extra 260: after a water landing... unplanned... might be called a crash (doh!)

Yep Shame on you for not taking care of your motor rite away...It may need bearings now...I would try WD40 ..Just lubricate the dickens out of it and turn it over and over with the plug out..Keep putting oil in and spining it over..See if you can feel any roughness at all ..If you can the bearings are finished..Also see how much rusty coloured stuff comes out..That should give you an idea of how rusty it got inside...A week is a long time..It only takes a day or so...Don't feel too bad but next time you will know better...You need to start them rite away after a dunking and run them up tp temp to dry them out and them even a drop or two of oil into the carb won't hurt...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9