Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: nylon hinges

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nylon hinges

Hi Gang, howz the winter builds going? i'm refurbishing an old (as in maybe a decade?) great planes super decathlon 40. i bought it at last years tcrc auction, it had become someone's hangar queen and had seen a little rash. it looked like a great scale machine, and the note the guy/gal put with it said maybe it could be again... so, on with the question; in removing the covering on the wing i discovered a few of the nylon hinges and pulled loose. any good idea of how to reattach these things? can i just squirt some more hinge glue (wood glue) in there and maybe stick a tooth pick through it? or should i pull the whole thing off and re-hinge it?

kargo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94914.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	1847683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38188.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	1847684  
    Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, its just a lot harder to put cards in the spokes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: nylon hinges

Thin CA and a toothpick. Put some vaseline on the hinge to keep the glue from hitting that part.

Don
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks
    Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, its just a lot harder to put cards in the spokes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it were me.... I would epoxy with the nylon as it will do a better job of filling the holes with the rest as state above.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

epoxy is pretty thick, and heavy stuff. how do i get it thin enough to fill in the holes/gaps? i only mention the heavy part because i've gotten myself in trouble with it before...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1st off, if the hinge looks oily, ain't nuthin short of remove & replace that will work. If it looks clean enough to try, use 30 minute, or longer epoxy and slightly warm it with your heat gun. The heat greatly thins the epoxy, but will speed up curing too, so don't dawdle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks, i'll get a better look at the hinges and ponder a while. the age of the model makes me question the hinges a little, but of the top of my head i'd say the hinges looked ok... replacing the old ones also means digging out the ones that are still holding...

thanks for the advice/info
    kargo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You don't have to dig out the old ones. Slice them off flush and install the new ones next to the old ones.

Don
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First.. the slot will be a bit bigger than a typical CA slot. lay a bead then heat gun it.. and it will "seep" into the slot.. push in the hinge a bit... I then place a bit more (or used to when i did nylon hinges) at the wood line.. heat.. and as you continue to insert it draws that add'l expoxy down into the wood. I then would drill a hole and about 1/2" back or however big the hinge is so it will be in the middle of the inserted piece and slip a tooth pic or anything similar with some expoxy to help anchor it. This can be done after the initial install cures so you don't have to rush that part.

I would slice off the old flush as stated above and go with CA hinges right next to the original nylon ones
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the input gang. I haven't been at the project for a few days as life has taken over (how dare it!), but the wing and hinges will get a good lookover before I decide my next move. CA hinges are a lot easier, but I like the range of motion on the other hinges. Course that kinda thing just gets me in trouble, which gives me further opportunity to improve my building skills.. Its a viscous, viscous cycle. We'll see if I can put some of your advice to work soon... but not Sat, I need to go buy more stuff to fix up.

kargo