Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Big stik 40

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Big stik 40

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
cole455
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big stik 40

Well, it finally happened. I was having a great day at the field (burned through 3/4s of a gallon) and somehow lost track of how close I was to the tree line. Several members at the field said "it was the most spectacular crash they had ever seen". I was full throttle minding my own business when a tree limb snatched it and sent it careening into the woods, shedding parts for over 150 yards; it was stuck 46' high and took a couple days to retrieve. The motor is fine, the fuselage can be repaired, the horizontal/vertical stab are already repaired and the model is stripped. In the wreckage I found pristine examples of both types of ribs used and can reconstruct a new right wing if need be. This is an older gp big stik 40 arf and I'd rather just replace the entire wing if its the same as the newer ones. I was going to order one but it stated the chord length was 14 1/4" and mine is a little shorter than that. The newer wing has wide ailerons at the base then taper towards the tips, perhaps that's the reason for the longer chord and should fit the existing saddle?All my servos and rx still work and I believe to have gathered up all the pieces.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM
cole455

Default RE: Big stik 40

Here's a picture of the fuse stripped. Does anyone want to measure the wing chord (from the root where it fits in to the saddle) of their newer big stik 40 so I can tell if I can just order a newer replacement wing from gp? That would be the easiest, most straightforward way for me to proceed. Looks like my iPhone cut off the pics; the chord at the saddle is 11.5 inches.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get a new one cheap http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM9&P=ML
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
bbbair

That's the beauty of a Stick - they are so simple that they are infinately repairable.

Ask me how I know.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM
qchenry1937

I believe you could make the new wing work. The saddle measures 11and 7/8 . The trailing edge of the wing could be trimmed and the fuse could be trimmed at the TE of the wing. Hope this helps. Photos did not upload. Will try again Failed again.
Henry
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh my was that an Ents tree?
They are known to swat things

Been there done that.
It was a garbage dumbster that ate my stick 60

Ken
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 AM
cole455

You're absolutely right! The new wing showed up yesterday and basically fits without trimming. I'll have to make a couple adjustments but overall it's excellent. I've started gluing the fuse back together and fully expect to be flying this one come spring.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Guitarman52
My Feedback: (2)

A+ for not loosing any fuel !!!! Been there done that !!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM
cole455

Time for an update. Structurally, the fuse is done. It needs a couple random chunks of balsa replaced (damn tree branches). The vertical stab is rebuilt and covered, the fuse saddle was modified to accommodate the new style wing and the high speed needle valve/backplate is replaced on the os 46fx. I still need to drill the new holes for the wing bolts, sand and coat fuse with balsa rite and recover, mount the engine, wing servos, horizontal stab, landing gear etc.... still a ways off but I'm closer than I was. It sure would've been easier to buy a whole new plane (119.00 from my lhs) but I've had this old gal for a while now and wasn't ready to give up just yet. Just before my last flight I was showing it off, talking to a guy about how I needed to re-cover it! The covering was rotten, the color was gone in spots; in fact, it had patches on patches and came back each flight with a new tear. It's all for the best; time for a thorough re-do.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Looking good, she has a lot of life still in the old fuselage!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
cole455

Everyone in the family has been sick so progress has been slow. She's almost finished and should take to the skies very soon. Here's a quick teaser pic, more to come.... Since this was an old fuel soaked frame I coated it with balsarite prior to covering, everything went on fairly quick and smooth
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
cole455

Getting closer; fingers crossed for the weekend!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM
cole455

Well, I fixed it and she flew well; but last night around 3 minutes in to the flight I lost elevator control and down she went. I usually run fps148's or 3004's (at least in ailerons and elevator) but I had an es100 there instead <stupid>! Too bad it couldn't have been the rudder or throttle that died. I've never had a servo just die without warning before. If it jitters or skips I switch them. The board appears to be fine but the servo is stone cold dead. Not out much money, but I sure had a lot of time invested in this old gal. Anyways, total loss, time to re-kit
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Sorry to hear it she was a beautiful bird. Now you can start on your next Stik!