Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

RCUniverse Contest - How Mangled Did You Go?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

RCUniverse Contest - How Mangled Did You Go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:46 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCUniverse Contest - How Mangled Did You Go?

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1143173/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1143173]CLICK HERE TO ENTER![/link]

How Mangled Did You Go?

RCUniverse.com is running our first Contest to kick off the new website. The contest is sponsored by RCUniverse.com and Fliton USA (www.fliton.com).

Fliton is a new importer of some very cool Aerobatic and 3D electric aircraft. Check out their website at www.fliton.com .

Contest Overview:
We are on a quest looking for the most wild crash pictures. Everyone does it at one time or another. We all cry about it! Yet we always manage to take a picture of the devistation to share and laugh with others once funeral services are complete.

Rules:

To enter, you must submit your Crash Picture entry as a reply TO THIS THREAD ONLY! Please attach your photo, with a short description of the model, as well as what happened. (We all know that it was a radio glitch, but lets be more specific!)

On October 15th (extended), 2003 the RCU editing staff will select the 10 best entries. We will place these entries in a poll on in this forum. You, the site users, will vote for the winner.

A winner will be selected on October 29th, 2003 (extended).

What do you win?

The winner will receive a Fliton Flubber (www.fliton.com).

What is a Fliton Flubber you might ask? The Flubber is one of the coolest looking electric 3D parkflyer aircraft that I have seen in a while. We are presently in the process of reviewing one and having seen this ARF, it almost makes me want to Crash a Plane just to enter .

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1143173/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1143173]CLICK HERE TO ENTER![/link]
Old 09-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Bipeguy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RCUniverse Contest - How Mangled Did You Go?

Bashed AND Crashed !! This was my bashed G202 TWIN engine. After a few rolls, I wanted to go vertial. When I gave it full up elevator at 20', it went straight down!! I must have been inverted....duh....[:-]

bipeguy....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36915.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	61892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53917.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	61893  
Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

I was flying my month old Y/A F-18 single ARF at my favorite strip. My favorite strip is 4400 ft long but has a fertalizer plant next to it. My step-dad is marveling at the jet as it roars by. I have to keep telling him to stay behind me because he is slowly being drawn to the "neat jet". All of a sudden I felt something buzzing by my ear, before I knew it there were what seemed like 100 flys landing on my face! I yelled to Step-dad to help and he does, swatting away flys. Before you know it he is being drawn to the "neat jet" again leaving me to fend for myself. He stuck his 6', 3" 300 lb self directly between the "neat jet" and me. Now I'm swatting flys and flying a jet that I can no longer see! The last I saw of the "neat jet" it was inverted heading into a grape field. We found it after 3 hours of looking, it was scattered for 20 yards. It hit a wooden post that shows the grape row number, it had the #187 on it. This story is 100% true. RIP 18

Name:	Wu60779.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	61994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76100.jpg
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	61995  
Old 09-18-2003, 01:29 AM
David Smith
My Feedback: (1)

This was an own design based on a British kit. I built it as light as possible. Too light, in places, as I pulled the wing off in a reversal. The model may look relatively undamaged in the pic, but what you can't see is the OS 70 Surpass still attached to the nose and buried in the hard-packed earth. No survivors in this one! The pics show the model 'before' and 'after'.

Name:	Qo39727.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	62010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46038.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	62011  
Old 09-18-2003, 02:10 AM
Gear-Head

Well I as screaming down the road at about 60MPH with my Hyper .21 powered 4 Tec Pro Limited Edition, I caught a rock about 1/4" in diameter which threw my 4 Tec into a wild spin, it slammed into a curb spraying fuel everywhere and scattering parts. I don't have any pictures of it, but I do have a video of what was left...

here it is

just in case your curious I did rebuild it from the ground up, here is a video of the new 4 Tec...

new 4 Tec
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

He was flying along, full throttle, pulled full elevator do to a loop, the wing came off. The engine was in multiple pieces..the wing was in perfect shape!

Name:	Ig11582.jpg
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	62052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51496.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	62053  
Old 09-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Here's my second Switchback. Great plane. I had about 3 flights previous to this, and had no problems. On the 4th flight, I was coming out of a shallow dive and at about 20'alt, I heard a pop that was followed by the left wing disentigrating in mid air. Needless to say, all I could do is cut the throttle and pray. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me, so I loaded up all of the peices that I could find.
Here's a before and after picture.

Jason

Name:	Fd91529.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	62061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75093.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	62062  
Old 09-18-2003, 02:05 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Before....

And After....

Battery failed on second flight of New Year's Day, 2003. Went in from around 500 feet up, accelerating all the way. Had to dig up the almost new .91FX out of 10 inches of dirt... I'm just glad no one was hurt. Engine is in three pieces, and not a single piece of electronics survived. Even the receiver came apart... This one was a total loss.

phil in austin
Old 09-18-2003, 02:51 PM
jjamesrb
My Feedback: (39)

Here's a picture of my 31% edge 540 that somehow went into failsafe and crashed into the middle of a cornfield at 3/4 throttle straight down to the ground and wouldn't you know it, it missed every stalk of corn! and bent the crank on the G62.I didn't think i would be able to find it but after an hour i stumbled upon a pile of balsa.I carried it out and put it in the garage.My wife saw the contest and thought maybe i should take a picture of the whole garage(its a plane graveyard!)I didn't think that was very funny.

Name:	Lj22380.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	62093  
Old 09-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Jim Messer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my 1/3 scale (own design) Aeronca Sedan that crashed on the maiden flight after about one minute in the air. The problem turned out to be a faulty receiver - the first time I have ever had a receiver go bad in over 40 years of flying R/C. After losing control, the airplane went into a very shallow spiral and came in on the left wing at about medium throttle. The G-62 engine was not damaged at all, but the airplane was totaled. After recovering the hardware, the next day I ran what was left of the airplane through the bandsaw and gave it to the garbage man in two nice black plastic bags for burial.

I had a dickens of a time cropping the photos to get them small enough to be accepted here. The first is a head-on photo with the engine running. The other two are after the crash - from both sides of the airplane.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Jim Messer

My pictures didn't go. Will try them one at a time.

Still didn't go. It used to be so easy on the old RCU. I click on "Upload images", and make sure all three photos are small enough - where am I going wrong?

Try again:

That time it said - "Files uploaded successfully" - but still no photos showed up. Come on - give me a break! What's going on?

Try once more:

That time I got the same message - "Files uploaded successfully". Still no photos. Where in the heck are they?

I give up.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Jim Messer

I am going to try again. The computer shows that the thumbnails are being downloaded successfully, yet they don't show:

Once again. Have checked box - don't show images in posts. See if that makes any difference.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

My ill-fated GB Profile.

Mid-air with my brother's heli while on vacation right over the runway.... It rained parts down on us!!!

Name:	Qo39944.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	62187  
Old 09-18-2003, 11:16 PM
norcalflyer530

Well lets start of by saying that today i lost my old and dear friend Mr. Avistar
He was a great ol plane, he did everything for me loops rolls hammerheads
and so forth he ever taught me to fly...... "First Plane" so i thought today would be a nice day to take her out with my dad and fly around....everything was great did some formation flying and everything...... the sun was just setting and so i thought id take her up one last time before it got dark.. and so he took to the sky like a rocket with a super tiger 46 on there it was a great plane....... took off came around to fly past i went inverted and then lock up none of the controls would work and down into a dive it went full bore and Bam![X(] nothing left but the some of the wing and the end of the fuse
its a sad day for me since iv had that little avistar for a year and a half and with over 200 flights it was my little guy dont get me wrong im not excited of this crash hahaha
but anyways you lose something to just gain something even more
so here are the pictures kinda fuzzy was in the garage with low light
but you can make out the mess......

Name:	Ig13490.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	62201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98897.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	62202  
Old 09-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out at the Dry Lake...last flight of the day ...wind howling...I thought I could get the mustang up and down.

The wind was blowing about 25mph at us, and there were "dust devils" all over the place. Of course the winds aloft where much higher. I turn the Mustang into the wind, and gun it...take-off ok...gets about 50 feet up and runs into a "wind-wall" which all but stopped the plane..but it made it through...

Just then the wind started HOWLING....and things went from bad to worse...I tried to get her back in, but the wind had switched in about 30 seconds, and was blowing at least 35 from my back.
The plane was getting further away than I liked, the air mass at 200 feet was probably moving about 60 mph...

I got her coming back towards me...just then it hit a dust devil, and went straight up and then inverted...I pulled up, and gave more throttle, and it pulled out straight (which was a pleasant suprise) coming straight at me...about 1/2 mile away....

Just as I thought I was ok...it hit another dust devil, and went straight up, and blew over inverted again...I pulled up, and it went into a spiral....hit straight down on the nose from about 200 feet.

( Darn, I hate it when that happens )

Name:	Sq46173.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	62224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87038.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	62225  
Old 09-19-2003, 04:58 AM
Cactus.

i've got pages on my website with all my crashes and descriptions, far to many to fill up here, but i'll post the best... http://www.philsrcworld.fsnet.co.uk/mycrashes.htm

This is after just 6 flights, I forgot to put locknuts on the elevon pushrods and was left with only one elevon in a dive.

Following martin around on the deck and doing world record touch & go's along the entire length of the field it took it up for a mad set of flips, dive out.....dive in. lost elevator completely, might have been when I hit the wing on the ground earlier and did a ground spin hitting the tail plane, it might have been enough to break the plastic clevis on one side which gave way in the spins later.
Isn't it a ***** when you put a jinx on a plane, you know, " just one more flight ", I was just telling John it wouldn't matter if the Panther died, as it had had a long life....

The lightly built Outlaw is like a missile, seams its an Air to Air
with a closing speed of at least 160mph I saw Jakes Gangster right in front of me, I hit the stick over, it's very sensitive and will roll at 3-4 per second. we hit and both kept going... I noticed it was trying to roll, but still flyable, thinking I was about to loose the elevon I idled back and came in for a landing, right behind a dead stick Jake. Getting to his plane first the damage was clear. The engine was hanging from its mount, my wing tip was buried in his foam wing, only the wire UC stopping it being taken right off. and half his tail plane was missing, luckily the control horn was the other side, Having a FunFly wing I wasn't looking forward to the damage I'd have, but amazingly only the wing tip had been ripped off, with just a small hole in my LE from the prop.

While we're on correx deltas this is what happens when Martin picks on a poor defenseless Cambrian Mustang, which happened to be my fave plane at the time

She's a gonner, tail plane got munched at high speed low level. But the wing was re-useable
As a cricket bat.

This time I've crashed Pheonix properly. Its the first time I've flown it for over a month and it's been stuck in the cold damn shed, whether this contributed to the crash I don't know yet. It was flying fine, till on a pass I noticed I had no elevator, to avoid a heavy landing I blipped the throttle to raise the nose.. only it didn't blip, I lost that too, full throttle it went into a tight loop and hit the ground vertical not stopping until the UC touched grass, lucky its been so muddy. I pulled it out with no obvious damage apart from a bent prop and the batt tried to escape, further inspection shows the boom entering the TE has been jolted and fractured the joints. All simple repairs. So far the batt is suspected to be totally flat despite only 5 mins flying after peak charging

I was coming in low and fast, I got one glitch that halved my height to about 2 feet, this was ok, I was used to this glitch then I got another that banked me over 90 degrees and nosed in. In a blur of blue the poor Microjet cartwheeled the length of the patch with bits flying everywhere. I really thought there would be nothing left, I went to the hit point and started collecting bits. One fin, the other, 1" of nose, battery, then the plane. And that was it!
the battery had come through the turtle deck tearing it away at the front, easily guleable. the nose had lost an inch but again this would glue back on easy. the main damage was at the weaker point where the wing starts. the plastic tray needs replacing and the foam on one side was crushed and cracked making this area quite flexible. the nose has also got a bit of bend to it. Once I get a new nose tray and find out how to straighten the foam I'll be back. I could have flown it again on the field to be honest. I'm surprised anything survived the impact and cartwheel!

PLEANTY!!!!!! more crashes on our club site www.rcflyers.net and the funniest video you've ever seen of a shrike hitting a sheep

From our club site:

Alfies new Extreme after one flight, now not so new.

Andrew had a bad day, first his Rapier..

then his Limbo

result of a streamer chase

It went well, until the wing folded!

The pilots wishes were to be cremated.

Steve Woods Wild Thing after he flew it into a concrete post - well done Steve

Crashed, smashed, but still smiling!

Marks Fun-Fly, drop of cyano and it`ll be good as rain.

Jag versus FF8, Jag wins, just don`t ask WHOSE Jag.

After a 270 degree loop, well done Derek!

Steve Vine bins his deamon after crashing it then driving over what was left

Jamies sheep after the famous sheep strike. The sheep came off better

Dazzler lost radio contact and flew over North Cliffs, It was found 30 feet from the bottom of the 400 foot cliff on the only accesable slope.

Not content with attacking Gwyn, Danny picked on this poor Magic.

Heres the teeth marks to proove it

and this is what was left of Dans!

If you don`t like the peg off system then bring it up at the meeting, not take matters into your own hands

Now Jamie knows why i added spars to my Sabre, the ones for his Mig arn`t man enough

Gwyns trainer hits his foot several times after refusing to take off

Cartman turns his Lazer into matchsticks

heres some others, the last two are gifs, click full size to view animation

Name:	Xv63288.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	62236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59706.gif
Views:	11
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	62238  
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2003, 12:14 PM
realwiz
My Feedback: (9)

I think it's unfair for the contest to only allow bad pilots to participate. So I made this one up in Corel Draw. The plane is a Sig Hog Bipe, and the house is the neighbor who constantly calls the cops on us.

Name:	Nl29303.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	62280  
Old 09-19-2003, 01:56 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Hey Guys

This is Great Stuff! Thanks so much for Participating.
Lets pass the word and make this a big turnout!

Thanks
RCU Editing Team!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:18 PM
jrplane
My Feedback: (195)

This was a 4 star 60 with a LA65 it scored a 9.9 for sticking the landing. It was actually lost in the sun and gravity took over

Name:	Vs55728.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	62322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21725.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	62323  
Old 09-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Cactus.

MAN! i somehow thought the Flubber was a IFO thing made of Depron i've seen before... but that thing is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want one
Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 PM
cabanestrut2002

i have to take credit for a couple of those in phillybabys post!!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:56 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Exhaustion, Stupidity, and Distraction

My UCD arrived on a Thursday afternoon. I looked the box contents over and started in on it the following evening. I was determined to fly it the following Sunday.

Sunday morning. I'd noticed that the ailerons were reversed while programming the radio the night before (@ 6AM, after pulling an all-nighter to finish the bird.) I reversed the ailerons in the radio, but then noticed that my landing mix (UP spoiler) was reversed as well. This means that I had the ailerons swapped at the receiver.

It was late and I was tired - I just didn't want to disassemble the plane at that point - so I decided to do it before flying.

(that was the Exhaustion bit.)

I then switched the ailerons back to normal in the radio so as to restore the spoiler mix.

(that was the Stupid bit.)

Off to the field.

One of the guys from work that has been 'threatening' to come watch showed up. We got to talking - office stuff, R/C stuff, etc. I excused myself, fueled up and fired up. Did a quick power-on range test. Nnngh! The ailerons are still reversed. I shut down the engine, pulled the wing off and swapped the aileron servo leads

BUT

I neglected to check the radio programming or the direction that the ailerons were going in. The physical act of swapping the leads allowed me to mentally check-off the 'reversed ailerons box.'

(that was the Distracted bit.)

Took off.

Rolled like mad... first one way, then the other. By the time I'd gotten it upright it was heading for the street, and traffic. I decided to cut the throttle and put it down rather than nail someone and/or cause an accident.

Then the chainlink fence grabbed it.

The CF pushrods held up. Sort of.

Time passes.

Monday morning. The phone rings; its one of my clubmates, Herbert.

H - "Shame about your UCD. What did you do with the remains?"
V_1 - "I still have it at home; I haven't stripped my gear out of it yet."
H - "I think I can fix it. How much you want for it?"
V_1 - "You're joking, right?"

So. I put the remains into a box; he picked them up the next weekend.

More time passes.

The result.

Herb rebuilt and recovered the damaged fuse and wings, strenghtened the landing gear mount and shortened the nose (he's running an OS 1.08 2C). Finished weight on the repaired plane is just under 9 lbs. He did all this in less time than it took for my replacement UCD ARF to arrive!

Maiden flight was a bit interesting. The plane was a bit tail heavy as we were flying it without the cowl, but it still flew great.

He has since installed the cowl and prettied it up a bit...
Old 09-19-2003, 11:23 PM
shawn43068

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THIS????????????????????????Let this be a lesson to you all. If you don't feel like reading all this scroll down for the pics!

Hey everyone! My 2 year project down the tubes! Heres my time line of events let this be a lesson to all you new modlers!

October 2001! My birthday...
Fell in love with this GP Pitts ARF Pre-Order had to wait till January!

January 2002
Plane finally arives! I was amazed at the size and was so excited! The Quality was top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 2002
Finally get everything I need to complete this awesome plane!

Great Planes Pitts SU 2 ARF Setup.
Futaba 6FM Radio
1 Futaba S9402 Highspeed Rudder
4 Futaba S9101 Highspeed Ailerons
2 Futaba S9101 Highspeed Tail
600 Battery (was considering getting a new one when I was ready to fly it)
Engine US Engined 42cc Gas Engine with a 18x7 Prop Breakin

December 2002
A guy I know builds the plane for me 3.5 month project

March 2003
Go pick the plane up! Wow looks awesome~ I take it home and I swear I admired for days just sitting there Its so impressive all done with the flying wires and all!

May 2003
I decide even though I'm not ready to fly it. I will take it out in my yard and run it up and taxi it around a little. My neighbor came over and was checking it out and had been drinking from his cookout he had earlier. He use to fly R/C and was holding the tail. Little did I know he was that bad. He stubles and breaks right through the wings! I'm sick he said he would take care of it NEVER DID NOTHING! I sent him a letter, ask him, oh yeah I'll take care of it. Never did we don't talk now!

June 2003
I decide to put it up for sale on here and this one awesome guy comes outta know where and helped me get my plane going again since he has some connetions with Great Planes and sent me a new set of wings like ASAP. He is always gave me great advise on model avaition. He would be about the only person that has ever helped me without charging me for advise.

September 2003
Wings arive yipeee! Man I was so excited.... A guy I met thats retired that works part time at the hobby shop invited me to there club, and built myTaylorcraft for $150.00, and built my wings again for the Pitts my wings and fixed a little spot on the tail of the Pitts.

September 17th!
Get a phone call from the guy right when I got home from work telling me he had one of the best pilots at the field test fly my plane tonight and the SOB went dead after about 3 minutes in the air. He had no control! KEEP IN MIND THIS TEST FLIGHT WAS UNAUTHORIZED! NEVER CALLED ME! The top pilot at the field I met one time NEVER DID I GIVE PERMISSION to fly my plane! They chalked it up to the battery only being a 600! They never knew thats all it had in it and said thats probably what happened. The Batt I guess read 5.9 after the flight? They said with a load it could have pulled this way down. From everyone I have talked to this could not of happened if the batt was fully charged!!!!!!!!! I guess it took off all by itself pretty much, and flew great, and he was doing some tricks and hammerheads whatever that is, and on exit the plane just wouldn't respond and went straight into the ground from way up at full throttle. That nice he was doing all that stuff with my plane!

I picked the plane up today the guy was real quiet and I told him someone needs to buy me a new plane wether its the pilot and you or you or him! He said hes gonna talk to that guy and let me know on Wednesday. Anyway, if he don't
I will take this one to court if I have to. I'm totally tickeddddddddddddd! Over $1400 in this plane, my motor is bent up, 45.00 pilot is even dead, its just a huge mess! It just urks me that he has not offered to atleast buy me a new kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway I got my point across real clear to both of them that I WANT A NEW PLANE! I guess they know someone that flys or sponsored by GP and they are going to see if he can get a new one! THATS BS but I will give them 4 days! Or I will pursue it with the club president, ama, hobbystore manager that I know, AND THEN I'M HEADED DOWNTOWN TO FILE SUIT. The great thing is I know attourney ex prosecuter that will help me.

Anyway Here's the PICS! I just wanna cry every time I look at them! I wish I could have atleast had a chance to fly it on a buddy box or something?

I already had the funeral earlyier on in the day today!

Name:	Ca80668.jpg
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	62417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95933.jpg
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	62418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75911.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	62419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88408.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	62420  
Old 09-19-2003, 11:26 PM
shawn43068

Re construction in the investigation in the NTSB hangar! LOL but its hard to laugh trust me!
Looks like the pilot had head injury! His funeral is set for Monday everyone here is invited!

Name:	Pn36032.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	62421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19756.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	62422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47734.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	62423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80995.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	62424  
Old 09-20-2003, 01:01 AM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Just a shot of the 1/4 scale Sukhoi as it was newly painted and ready for the IMAA West Coast Festival.

Name:	Hf99490.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	62439  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.