Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sig Rascal RC wing dihedral

I have a used 3 channel Rascal RC that was stripped of gas motor and electronics but I redressed it with new electrics and went to the field where it flew like a 3 legged dog on ice skates. Almost crashed getting it back on the ground. Upon closer inspection found the dihedral was different on both wings as well as the cord line. Probably explains why it was available at a garage sale. I separated the wings by cutting out the center section. Both wings are good, it was just a bad joining by the original Builder. I want to rebuild the center section and rejoin the wings but I need some advice as to what angle I cut the dihedral brace. I'm using some 1/16 basswood and will epoxy it in place followed with some tiny wood screws for extra reinforcement. I,m thinking some thing like about 4 degrees of angle but don't know if that's too much or not enough. Looking for a gentle stable flyer. Any advice is appreciated.. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sig Rascal RC wing dihedral

Can you give me the wingspan? I have the Rascal C with the 49" wingspan. The dihedral is NOT listed in the assembly manual or the plans. If yours is the same I can measure the wing with one panel flat and measure the height of the apposing wingtip. Just one thing you did need to check first. If your wings were built correctly the should have some washout at the tip. This helps the handling and if it is missing you have another problem. The Rascal C while small was never intended for a beginner builder which explains a lot on your airplane. Let me know what you find out and I'll see if I can help you.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. The wingspan is just under 49", more like 48 1/2". You mention wash out, and I'm guessing you mean that the outside ends of both wingscurl up a little bit on the leading edge for the last 3" or so? I can try to send you a picture if I'm not explaining it very well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned washout but it should be the trailing (back) edge not the leading (front) edge. The curve keeps the wingtips from stalling earlier than the rest of the wing. I would say you have a Rascal C.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just measured my wing. Lay the wing with one panel flat on the bench/table the other wingtip will be 5" off the table at the centered.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so if I understand you correctly it's 5" across the length of the whole wing or accounting for the center piece about 2" from wing root to wing tip.  According to my engineer friend that should be about a 5 degree lift from center to tip. He'll calc it out in AutoCad and confirm for me. Thank you so much for your help.  Also, I just checked the washout and it looks like an equal lift across the front to back edge from tip to about 3" or 4"  back. Does the sound right for the Rascal C, that's what the decal on the wing calls the plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a crude drawing of what I was talking about. I'm guessing without seeing them your wingtips are correct. If you could stack the wing panels bottom to bottom and take a picture from the tip end I could tell you. And you are correct you have a Rascal C. The design was based off a Top Flite airplane from the 40s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56032.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	1859144  
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is what the tips look laid bottom to bottom as you suggested.. My engineer buddy did the dihedral calc and it come out as 6 degree. He drew up the brace in AutoCad and ill cut it tomorrow on the band saw and sand shape it to final form. [img]webkit-fake-url://8E711104-E368-4EE8-96AA-4CA87BF8CDD7/imagejpeg[/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't see it you need to upload it as a jpg.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was a jpeg but maybe a little too large for the website or maybe because I was sending from the iPad. Anyway, here it is again cut down in size and still jpeg format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41427.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	1860275  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Judging from the picture the wingtips look correct! Let me know if you need any additional information and good luck!
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73