Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Wing strut template for 2001 Thunder Tiger Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Wing strut template for 2001 Thunder Tiger Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Duners95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing strut template for 2001 Thunder Tiger Trainer

About 11 years ago I crashed my sons brand new Tiger Trainer.........I did some half- _ _ _ repairs at the time (not really knowing what I was doing) to at least get it back up into the air for his 14th birthday a month later. Due to an ugly divorce, he was never allowed to come with me again by himself so we could fly it and it was impossible to do with his three younger siblings.

Well, Dad decided to almost completely rebuild it now and give it back to him as close to brand new, for his 25th birthday.

I am at the stage now where I need to find a reliable template for the wing struts and start the repair process.

Does anyone have either a 'factory original' or one they have created themselves. I'm good a copying things and just bought a brand new digital micrometer, but am not comfortable with my own 'mechanical drafting skills' trying to make one from a strut that is still in good shape and attached........

Thank you and I will gladly post all the videos and pictures of my progress (from before stripping the monokote to when he takes it off 'brand new again' in a few months) if that will help other novices here.............

Also, since I don't have any of the original paperwork, how can I tell what model it actually is beyond 'Thunder Tiger Trainer'

You folks are just amazing and I hope to also contribute as I get more knowledgeable and experienced.

Jerry

774-239-4151
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wing strut template for 2001 Thunder Tiger Trainer

A template for wing struts????

Don't you mean .....template for wing RIBS??

The tiger trainer looks like the typical high wing trainer, with typical flat bottom Hershey bar shape. Please post a picture, it would really help all of us!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Duners95

Yes, the ribs...........not a strut.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73763.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1858956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26960.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1858957  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Duners95

Thank you for such a quick response and for helping me to learn the proper terminology!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
RC MANIAC119

Duners.........

You have your template right in front of you!! On a blank piece of paper, stand that wing section up, and trace around it. Use the most complete end you have.

Trim the spots that have sheeting, leading edge and trailing edge, usually 16th inch sheeting, and your brand new template is done.

That's what I have done MANY times!!! Remember, this is not rocket science! You only have to get it close....build it strong, and Monocote covers ALL your mistakes!!!

Good Luck Pilot!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Duners95

Thanks! Got the first 'template' done last night...took five hours.......not much mechanical drafting skill here and additional parts of plane keep 'disintegrating' from dry rot as I work on it. Second one only took an hour and now I ready to rock....

Last questions:
  1. Do both wings have to be dimensionally exact?
  2. How close is good enough?
  3. If they are within fractions of an inch, the equal weight is more important I would presume.
Many thanks.................I'll make a drawing of the 'best one' and pics and post them here if it will help anyone else not have to spend the six hours.........

Jer
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM
bikerbc

If you are having trouble with it falling apart when you touch it it from dry rot you might be better off to pitch the works and buy a new kit...I realize thats not what you want to hear and I guess it depends on how it was stored and what kind of shape the rest of it is in...I can understand wanting to return it to your son in flying condition but it might not be worth it...It could be cheaper to replace....Easier too....However without actually seeing itit is pretty hard to say for sure...Maybe it is okay...How far does the rot seem to go?? Is the rot just in the wing??
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Duners95

I probably would have been better off but have decided to finish the job............I'm really enjoying doing it (which is nice since I have more time on my hands than money....lol) and learning a ton as I go along.

Yes, there is the sentimental value too that would be missing if I just switched it out.................a lot more rot than I first thought but have been able to salvage about 20% of original structure.

Took me five hours to get the first rib correct (close enough till final assembly and lots of finish sanding) second one only took about 30 minutes and the rest should be as or quicker.

Still lots to learn but I will have finally 'vanquished' the terrible demon I have carried all these years when it is done.........and my son will know how much of me I truly invested to get it to that state, which in the end is what really matters............its gonna crash again probably, just not me this time......lol

Thanks for your input and belonging to this great group is worth the extra work I have to put in.........

Jerry......new member to 'The Quinapoxed Model Flying Club.......Holden and Lancaster MA.......
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
RC MANIAC119

Part of the problem, is the cheap balsa used by the ARF makers!!! Do what you can to make it strong, keep both halves close, and don't forget....

You're going to wrap it in plastic (Monocote)when you're done.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and fly it like you stole it!!