Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

utra stick w/ zenoah 20cc crash and possible rebuild

So i just recieved an ultra stick from a friend at my local field. The stick was sitting for awhile in a garage and was probably collecting all kinds of moisture and making the wood soft. Needless to say one flight up with it and on the landing the gear broke off at the mount and then the engine hit and tore off. The gear, the engine and the electronics are all good, but the actual fuselage got destroyed. I have never rebuilt a plane before and since the plane was free, I am thinking as this to be my learning bird. However, Idon't know a whole lot about rebuilding so any help would be appreciated. Like materials needed and which glues to use etc. Ill post pictures of it so it will be easier for you all to see and gice me your opinions. I did remove the covering to see where the damage was and Iended up cutting it at theback of the wing. So i need to rebuild all the way to the enigne . Luckily the wing is in great condition and Ido have an extra one just in case. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47543.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1866275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85661.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1866276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze86841.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1866277  

RE: utra stick w/ zenoah 20cc crash and possible rebuild

fficedocumentsettings>fficedocumentsettings>

Lots of evidence that the fuselage suffered from degradation of the woods strength. I’m surprised that you would even consider taking it up for a flight. Might try looking for an entire fuselage and not waste your time with trying to rebuild the fuselage. You may want to check with you local Hobby Shop or flying club and see if someone local can help with some hands on if this is you first one. I?t's always good to pickup some knowledge from someone who has already been there and done that with what you are going through.

Cheers,

unctuationkerning>unctuationkerning>verridetablestylehps>verridetablestylehps>
    Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well im considering because i got the entire plane for free and I would rather learn how to fix a fuse on a plane i got for free then a plane i paid for and really like. From what I hear the stick is a really fun plane to fly. So why not!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At first glance the wood appears to be fuel soaked, or maybe it got wet? Looks like you cut off the front half already? Use what's left, make some templates and go to town. Have fun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plane may have lived in a tree for some time but that is an aside from your goal to rebuild. A stick fuselage is quite easy to scratch build and I've been successful on other planes by simply building a lite ply forward box and attaching the tail section similar to where you have cut it. If you need dimensions, I can help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You only have to rebuild the easiest part (at least it is for me), the fuse and to make it even sweeter the front half of the fuse is the easiest to do.
    So have at it.

Ken
    \"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord\"
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ding ding ding! Tree is my new answer too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So what is the best way to join the two halves? What is the best way to get the curved too where the wing sets?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ducktape...

Lots of Ducktape.

Honestly,

You can knock this out. Just take your time, and you will be done before you know it. DO NOT OVERTHINK IT.
    The real Ken of RCU. Accept no substitutes!
    AMA 706166

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen arf's that had 2 piece fuse, they joined them at the bulkheads with dowels in all 4 corners

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a rebuild project that gets a new fore section attacked to the surviving aft section.

Before Repairs

Fore and Aft sections joined

After Repairs

Repairing can be fun... just take it one step at a time. As you can see the effort can pay off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at the damage and the condition of the wood. my opinion would be to build a new fuselage. I'm guessing reasonably that the engine, wing and stab are set up 0-0-0. Take the basic length, width, and height measurements of the fuse and get some 1/8" lite ply and some 1/8" balsa for the fuse material with some 1/4" ply for firewall and landing gear mount. Salvage the stab and rudder and incorporate it into the new fuse. It will take less time and be a better, stronger airplane. Been there; done that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would use the dowels or hardwood in the corners.. but also balsa tabs on all 4 sides between the dowels so the two fuese halves aren't just butt joined together.. there will be some backing behind them.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would use the dowels or hardwood in the corners.. but also balsa tabs on all 4 sides between the dowels so the two fuese halves aren't just butt joined together.. there will be some backing behind them.

That wood almost looks moldy.. ... be sure it will take glue..
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1027 View Post
    So i just recieved an ultra stick from a friend at my local field. The stick was sitting for awhile in a garage and was probably collecting all kinds of moisture and making the wood soft. Needless to say one flight up with it and on the landing the gear broke off at the mount and then the engine hit and tore off. The gear, the engine and the electronics are all good, but the actual fuselage got destroyed. I have never rebuilt a plane before and since the plane was free, I am thinking as this to be my learning bird. However, Idon't know a whole lot about rebuilding so any help would be appreciated. Like materials needed and which glues to use etc. Ill post pictures of it so it will be easier for you all to see and gice me your opinions. I did remove the covering to see where the damage was and Iended up cutting it at theback of the wing. So i need to rebuild all the way to the enigne . Luckily the wing is in great condition and Ido have an extra one just in case. Thanks for the help.
    Got these from Mike on another thread... These are for the size:

ULTRASTIK60.pdf
    Ah yes, snakes in the cockpit....