Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GP Glow/EP Revolver Repair

I like posting fixes as I hope it encourages others to give it a try. If you can fix it you can certainly build a kit with perfectly shaped parts.

A club member on Friday evening landed his GP Revolver .60 to .90 size on the grass and ripped the landing gear out which then knocked a couple inch chunk form the LE of the left side horiz stab. Mr. Cessna... said I can fix anything... and I did eventually offer to fix it for him as he was ready to buy a new fuse being a self proclaimed non-builder in any way shape or form.

1) What's nice about ARFs is the covering is not really ironed down and it just lifts right up and out of the way. I was able to save most except where it was ripped from crash.
    2) I squared up the area removing the jagged-ness top and bottom - Pic shows the still pretty rough opening. Lucky that the damage was between the ribs ortherwise I think it may have taken out a bit more area.
    3) The horiz stab turned out to be balsa ribs covered in balsa sheeting.. no spar.. nothing. Pics show the left and right side ribs going back.
    4) I added some tabs on three sides to support the new sheeting and cut a slightly oversized (top and bottom) LE which and recessed a bit to accept the sheeting. I find it easier this way than making a piece to fit and then install as it generally never fits snuggly.
    5) I made templates out of cardboard for top and bottom damage areas as they were differently shaped, cut pieces to fit, glued them in and sanded them down. The cardboard from cereal or instant oatmeal boxes works best as it's thin and pliable but thick enough to trace on a piece a wood easily.
    6) Need to add a little filler, sand and iron back down the covering.

I started removing damage from the LG gear moun this morning.. and was a little shocked to see just how poorly installed it was on a plane of this size and weight....One small hardwood tri-stock for bracing up front and thats it besides a tab-lock type in the rear. sheesh.

e mentioned he landed in grass previously with no issues.. but i have a feeling it loosend or cracked it up just a bit. and the second one may have hit some sort of divot or something. Our field has a runway and the surrounding ground / grass is very rough and bumpy.

I squared this area up and will beef it up a bit more. .. watching it fly.. and extra ounce or two will no difference at all.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91381.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1868167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38443.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	1868168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Io28669.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1868169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl24666.jpg 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1868170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It10398.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	1868171  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hx32709.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1868172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uw42799.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	1868173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47222.jpg 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1868174  
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GP Glow/EP Revolver Repair

As I started to work on the landing gear mount...it dawned on me.... I don't fly large electrics and while this plane is glow/ep, I beleive the mount was not fully supported to allow it to break-away???. The fuse is literally a spider web of laser cutting and I assume a fully secured LG mount would cause havoc to the lower part of the fuse. So... I decided to increase strength but not go crazy. I cutout the replacement part and extended the tabs so I can add stock on each side of the mating formers. It's a good snug fit no glue yet. Hardwood tri-stock will be added on the front former and balsa in the back which is three more than there were originally and that will be it

Name:	Vs55481.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1868334  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good as new... delivery tomorrow

Name:	Ay75522.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1869502  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flight report from the owner states all is well
    Mike -