Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rebuild old trainer

Hi guys! I am rebuilding an old trainer plane that i bought at the lebanon pa. show. I am striping the old monokote covering off and having a hard time with it. How do you get all the old covering and color off the wood? I am using a heat gun and a palm sander now. Also i will be recovering it with sig koverall fabric. Is sig stix it the same as balsarite? Thanks stash4466

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Rebuild old trainer

Heat should do the trick..

Find a starting point, pick at it to get something to hold onto (pliers if it's too close to heat).

I'd prefer an iron over a heat gun for this.

Pull on the coating, enough to create a tension. Then lay the iron next to it. As the heat does it's work, and the adhesive "lets go", you should be able the coating up.
    β€œIt is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.\" - Wilbur Wright

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before you begin to recover, you will want to check the nose/engine area. You will probably find a lot of oil in the wood that has to be eliminated or the covering won't stick...

Just my $.02

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Before you begin to recover, you will want to check the nose/engine area. You will probably find a lot of oil in the wood that has to be eliminated or the covering won't stick...

Just my $.02

Bob

You may not get the color off of the wood as it may be in the wood, especially if it is Monokote. The best I have found to get old oil out is K2R (or something like that). Spray it on, let it dry to a powder, and brush it off. It may take it a couple applications, but it does work. Then a coat or two of Balsarite will help stick film covering even if it adhesive backed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello all, i just picked up a scratch build trainer. It seems to be in decent condition despite a few wrinkles in the covering its pretty solid. it was only 45 bucks so i couldn't walk away lol it had been converted to ep. it has a turnigy D3542/5 motor with a 11x5.5 prop on it. as a noob i asked as many questions about it as possible and i have a general idea as to which esc and battery to go with. i plan on getting a 60A esc brand unknown yet and a 3300mah 11.1v 35c battery to go in it. the fella who sold it to me recommended a red brick esc and a moderate size 3s. now im stuck on the landing gear issue i am not sure about i know i need to install some. i want to put typical trainer gear on it but not sure which kind or size to get.

it has a 63" wingspan
    fuse is 50" long and 4" wide at its widest point
    and probably weighs about 5 pounds
    any ideas? if my power setup doesn't sound right please let me know also as i am new to this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bo68957.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1871872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22931.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1871863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89833.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	1871864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68315.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	1871865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kd89768.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	1871866  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Am73654.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	1871867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Md51624.jpg 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1871868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zb59077.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	1871869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rq56632.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1871870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qp12010.jpg 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	1871871  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The easiest thing to do is going to be throw on a simple main gear and tail wheel set up (tail dragger). But the easiest for learning and ground handling will be a tricycle gear set up. The problem here is you will have to install a nose gear, and from the looks of how your motor is already mounted on the firewall, you may not wish to use a nose gear because it is going to require you to change your motor mount a  little. My recommendation is just mount a main gear and tail wheel, it may be a little harder to learn rudder use and ground handling in the beginning, but will benefit you later when you move up to a cub or a warbird.

Here is a good place to start.

Jerry
    AMA -922698 Nomal people scare me, but not as much as I scare them...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How would i install the tail gear on this seeing as the rudder doesnt go past the elevators like a cub? sorry for the newbie questions. Ive seen the gear on tower but wasn't sure on what size i would need as far as width and tire size. I'm building a cub thats what all the scraps are in some of the pics. how would i have to alter my motor mount if i needed to put a nose wheel on it?

Name:	Sq45766.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1871924  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I didn't notice that rudder set up in your other pics. The tailwheel I linked is actuated by pull springs that attach to a contol horn on a tailwheel and are mean to attach directly to the rudder. With your set up you could do one of two things you could drill a small hole thru the elevator to attach a rod from a Dubro or Great Planes tail wheel up thru the hole and into the rudder itself.

Using the tailwheel I linked, you would have to attach a pushrod in place of one of the springs and attach this rod to the rudder push rod, either outside the fuse or up inside the fuse and come out below the horizontal stab. You could even run another push rod all the way back to the rudder servo and drop it into a free hole on the servo arm if that was easier.

Another option would be to just put a fixed tailwheel under it, but I suspect you would rather be able to taxi around by using a steerable tail wheel.
    Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

You can use a SIG or any brand of Tail Wheel Bracket, with the top of the wire bent like a "Tiller". Install and mount it to a Plywood plate on the bottom of the fuselage. Control the Tail Wheel with a seperate pushrod connected to the "Tiller" arm. (See the photos) This tail weel does not need to be in perfect alignment with the rudder, you can bend it later, just make certain that the Tail Wheel pushrod mover the wheel in the same direction as the rudder.

Tiller Arm: You can use 1/16" steel wire for the tail wheel wire and solder a short piece of Brass tubing over the steel wire as a Tiller Arm.

Allow the Tubing to stick out about 1/2" beyond the steel wire. Flaten about 1/4" of the end of the brass tubing and drill a 1/16" hole through the flattened portion of the tubing and attach the clevis from the pushrod.

Hope that helps,

Ken AMA # 1528

Name:	Ki19967.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	1872015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96818.jpg 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	1872016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13605.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1872017  
    kbkopy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On my Telemaster is tail wheel setup I ended up leaving it to just caster freely. I fly off some pretty rough grass though and with the wheel attached to the rudder I had a hard time turning the plane. Not sure how it would work on pavement but it really works well on the grass.
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #97

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help everyone. i will be making a trip to the hobby shop this weekend....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Duke,

I converted my tiger 2 to a taildragger and up till this year let the tail wheel caster also, I found that I had to walk the plane out to the runway, not sure if your club would allow that or not, but this winter I put a dubro tail wheel on that has two tiller arms on it.

I attached the springs that come with the wheel to the tiller arms then used upholstery thread(you could use fishing line) to the rudder servo. You only need a tiny hole through the bottom of the fuse, and there is no shock load on the servo.

Her are some pictures of frankenstien with the new tail wheel.

Name:	Ca82607.jpg 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	1873674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id97235.jpg 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	1873675  
    Ultra Sport Brother # 144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to the op, Sig stik it is the same as balsarite. You can also soak oil soaked wood with alcohol, and cover with cornstarch or baby powder to extract the oil. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DukePiles

hello all, i just picked up a scratch build trainer. It seems to be in decent condition despite a few wrinkles in the covering its pretty solid. it was only 45 bucks so i couldn't walk away lol it had been converted to ep. it has a turnigy D3542/5 motor with a 11x5.5 prop on it. as a noob i asked as many questions about it as possible and i have a general idea as to which esc and battery to go with. i plan on getting a 60A esc brand unknown yet and a 3300mah 11.1v 35c battery to go in it. the fella who sold it to me recommended a red brick esc and a moderate size 3s. now im stuck on the landing gear issue i am not sure about i know i need to install some. i want to put typical trainer gear on it but not sure which kind or size to get.

it has a 63'' wingspan
    fuse is 50'' long and 4'' wide at its widest point
    and probably weighs about 5 pounds
    any ideas? if my power setup doesn't sound right please let me know also as i am new to this.

Not thinking that adding a tal wheel would be such a big deal, I held off commenting. However, looking again at your rudder, I see that it appears to be at right angles to the fuse. So, as I have done, just add a Goldberg nylon tailwheel bracket to the underside of the fuse, lining up the hole for the tailwheel wire with the rudder to vert stab hinge line. Drill a hole up through the fuse top and bottom. Then, stick a piece of music wire with an "L" bend at one end up through the fuse to the rudder hinge line, bend another "L" in the end of it, and stick that "L" into the rudder leading edge. I like to reinforce that area of the rudder where the wire is stuck in with fiberglass or thin plywood both sides. If the rudder horn is convenient, stick the wire between the two screws holding the horn and you have the reinforcement already there. A dogleg at the bottom wheel axel end helps the wheel track, but is not all that necessary. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After more consultation i decided on just a skid for the tail. already have it mounted. My next question is how far forward should i mount the maun gear?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far foward as you can and still balance within range, but at least even with the leading edge of the wing.
    Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DukePiles

How would i install the tail gear on this seeing as the rudder doesnt go past the elevators like a cub? sorry for the newbie questions. Ive seen the gear on tower but wasn't sure on what size i would need as far as width and tire size. I'm building a cub thats what all the scraps are in some of the pics. how would i have to alter my motor mount if i needed to put a nose wheel on it?

Looking at the picture in this post, I am thinking the rudder is upside down. This may cause unwanted roll coupling since more rudder area is higher. Have youi found a similar trainer and how is the rudder mounted on it? Just an observation, maybe not a correct one. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

As far foward as you can and still balance within range, but at least even with the leading edge of the wing.

I think he is saying the main gear axle should be even with the leading edge of the wing when the plane is level (in the takeoff attitude). That is how I set them up and I have converted quite a few from trike to taildragger. Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the gear installed should be able to tr[img][/img]y it out mid week.. thanks for all the help. will post a flight review...

Name:	Us53829.jpg 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1880882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wh57359.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1880883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd62527.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1880884