Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re-kit, no re-build

This weekend I had the distinction of performing one of the most thorough re-kittings I have seen in a while. I did a knife edge pass up-wind at about 30ft and made a mistake on the exit. I can't actually say what I did wrong other than it was entirely my dumb thumbs. The results, however, speak for themselves.

First, this is what I was flying.

And this is how it ended its life.

Now, to give you a good idea just how severe the impact was.

First, this is what it did to the spinner. The ground was quite soft where it hit. There was a good four inch divot.

The impact was hard enough to completely destroy the main power switches.

There was a piece of 1" aluminum angle stock on each side that the landing gear bolted into to. This helped spread the load and strengthen the area. Mind you, the landing gear did not strike first. This damage was purely from to force of the impact to the nose.

The only thing holding this together is the covering. Every time I moved it, new balsa confetti would fall out. It has just completely shattered. The other wing suffered serious damage, but nothing like this one.

This crumpled piece of metal was originally the exhaust header.

What is left of the the engine box and engine. The header is still attached here. And yes, you can see parts of the engine that you shouldn't be able to.

It bent the connecting rod.

It's dead Jim!

So there you have it a bit of guilty pleasure at my expense. [:@] The engine needs at least a new crank case, cylinder, and connecting rod (which comes as a unit with the crank). Haven't yet decided if I will rebuild it or just salvage what I can for parts. I really need to decide if I can trust the ignition unit after an impact like that. If I decide not to, then I'll just buy a new engine as I'll need at least $230 in parts.

The electronics seem to have survived relatively unscathed. All the servos turn smoothly, though I have not yet powered them up so I can't say if they are functional yet. There were all high torque metal gear servos except the throttle. The radio is intact, though like the servos, it hasn't been powered either. I'll strip the servos and radio and check the boards and gears for damage under the microscope at work. It looks like the batteries faired the worst of the electronics, which doesn't surprise me, given their mass.

Oh well. I will miss this plane as it was fun to fly and flew well. I find myself much less upset about an honest "dumb thumb" mistake than any of the other crashes I've had where I knew that "if I had just....", I could have saved it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Re-kit, no re-build

I think you did a pretty good job of spreading the damage ! That poor motor ! wow !

I am surprised how bad the motor is after seeing the cowl first...

Well hopefully it gives you more room in the shop , than nightmares in your sleep

I have been breaking a couple this spring, but so far its been fixable...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the ground did a number on that red bird....
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for how you acquired a mass of spare parts. But you seem to look at the crash as how we all must look at it, that you were having fun and I am sure you look forward to building a new plane and doing it all over again.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Clean the engine out with exlax diluted with water.
    Use duck tape to put the balsa and spruce parts together
    Buy a new spinner and prop and you are good to go.

Have to make lite of it or you will give up the hobby.......That was only one crash.....you have to have a couple dozen more to catch up with me...
    Yours was a really good looking aircraft.
    I feel your pain.

Send the radio back to a service center to have it checked out....a crash like that could cause intermitent problems....maybe a cracked board or a messed up soldering joint....It will be worth the cost and effort if it saves you the next plane....I've had to do it and was thankful on one occasion...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Did everyone walk away ?