Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

I hate wind....(when I fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

I hate wind....(when I fly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Zaxxon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate wind....(when I fly)

Yesterday was not a good day for my Firebird. I bought that drop module last friday that they have, that comes with a parachute guy and two streamer bombs. Well, at first I told the kids to run out in the soccer field and watch for the parachute guy to fall. Then I proceeded to take off on the road next to the field, when I then noticed that the payload of a plastic drop module and a small nylon parachute guy was too heavy for the firebird to lift off the ground, and went crashing into the curb. I thought, ok, I'll just hand launch it then. So I threw it into the wind and it climbed at an excellerated rate, so much that in no time I was about 150 ft in a snap. It took all the power I could give it to fly into the wind (10-15 mph gusts). I managed to get it in the center of the field, and dropped the parachute guy, pretty cool! But when I tried to circle back to land, it nose dived at about 100 ft and hit the ground so hard, that the V tail snapped off, and the battery ejected out of the plane! It didn't take long to fix and I was up in the air in no time. (I must say that these planes are very tough). The second flight was a disaster as well. I tried to bank to the left, and again, nose dive right to the ground. It's almost like it lost all of it's lift, and again, battery shot out and I bent the plastic. I then told the kids that it was time to go home......sniff. No more flights that day...

I hope that when I get either my park flyer (electric) or my 62" Gas powered Aero-Star .40 up an flying, I don't do this......

Thanks for reading....

Zaxxon
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I hate wind....(when I fly)

Wind does suck when u only have 2 channnels. It's a lot of fun when u have 3 though.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:32 PM
TheOtherWarren

It sounds like the center of gravity is moving after you drop you're payload, causing the model to dive.
Can you adjust the drop module front to back to keep the balance point the same
with and without the parachute?
Also, (I don't know this particular module), is there a door that actually opens downward? If a door were facing forward when opened, it will act like an elevator and nose the plane over.

Warren
Old 09-23-2003, 02:58 AM
SBR_RV

i like a small breeze
Old 09-23-2003, 07:10 AM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

If you dont fly in the wind, you might as well not fly. But not if you have firebird, or any other week electric plane. They are strictly for calm days.

I used to hate the wind, until one day some really good flier (world class pattern champ) told me that he loved the wind, and that I better learn to love it too. Then I saw what he could do in the wind, and like magic, I started liking the wind.
Harriers, prop hangs, and slow rolls 15 feet off the ground whithout any foward progress. so much fun.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Zaxxon

Antslake,

Yeah, I know that the firebird is for very calm days, but it was one of those "I GOTTA FLY NOW" type of days

I am getting a new plane, but I think I'm going to stay electric though. I was looking at obtaining a 400 speed electric motor or better, and larger scale. Warbird probably. Any suggestions?

TheOtherWarren,

I can't adjust the drop module at all. It kinda snaps into place. Although I know now that trying to beat the wind with a Firebird is just not possible. After 4 flights, I thought I could.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:02 PM
antslake

I don't know to well about electrics. I only dab in it.
I was a sponsored 1/12 (car)racer from back in the day. So I dig electrics. I am working on a electric piper cub now.
Gotta fly now is always a bad thing, I'm finding out, thats what separates the good fliers from the bad, or crashing from not. Go with your instincts when it comes to flyin.
Gas works well in the wind.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 AM
SBR_RV

when i GOTTA FLY i control my self and wait instead of waisting money.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:00 AM
norcalflyer530

last guy made good point also....the airplane doesnt know its windy hahah only you do
is a firebird one of those little plastic electric trainers?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:13 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last guy made good point also....the airplane doesnt know its windy hahah only you do is a firebird one of those little plastic electric trainers?
My instructor says the same thing...I always come back with "a car doesn't know when you drive off of a cliff either..."

I fly in a lot more wind now than when I started, but at some point you just have to let your experience be your guide. I am ok in the straight up and down the runway type of wind which is steady. I still have problems with crosswinds that gust.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:38 PM
pooman07

These things really arent to hard to fix just slap a popsicle stick and some scotch tape on there and its good as new and if your picky about the looks just buy another v-tail for 15 bucks woopdy doo.I nose dived at about 100 120 ft when i got my aerobird while trieng to fly inverted yes yes i know dumb@$$ move but thats what you get when you have been flying a .60 p51 for 2 years lol but yah i ripped the canopy a little by the hinge ( that seems to be the first thing that always goes on theese hobbyzone planes) and i just used thin ca to put it back togethor but theese things are invinsible with flying my friend just tried to duck tape the wing on and it still flew fine untill a gust wind of about 15 came through from a cold front and its probly still flying visiting france for all i know whelp if you need any help with fixing it just post.cya.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:56 PM
red91sit

lol i still think the sky scooter is stronger, the only part i've been able to break is the prop parts. It's about 1/2 lb heavier though because of allthe glue and different kinds of foam i used to fill the missing spots.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:50 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you get a bigger plane (40 sized and above) with a symmetrical airfoil and gas engine with some serious power you will love the wind. It enables you to some crazy aerobatics that you can't do in the calm. Like try to hover with a 25 mph crosswind. The plane basically is pointed vertical and flying sideways...now that's cool. I can handle 20-30 mph gusts of wind without a problem. Many pilots out there can handle even more. So basically get the plane I described above and you'll be able to fly unless it's gale force winds or raining. That leaves you many more flying days. Then the calm days, bring along that cool electric you have for the parachute drops.

Joe
Old 01-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Katana

I love wind. I fly full scale and when there is crosswind you have the whole sky to yourself. Same with RC around me
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I use to hate the wind.

After awhile, if you force yourself to fly in it, you get use to it. And, it adds an element of thrill, and surprise that keeps things from getting too boring.

Its kinda like getting a new plane without having to do any glueing.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Jim C.

i dont mind the wind.. but i would rather not have it or up to 10 kts max.. i have flown in more tho.. didnt really do much for me.. other than keep the heartrate up.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:59 PM
electricfan

wind is good if its not gusting. one minute youre approaching the runway with a nice headwind that really slows you down, then it speeds up causing you to gain altitiude, then it stops. thats when the plane falls out of the air and the landing gear breaks off when it hits. if the wind is steady, on the other hand, it is an advantage because you will land slower
Old 01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Flak

Dead Calm can be deceiving. I prefer 5-15 m.p.h. for normal flying. However, I have flown big cubs and Avistar 40's in 40+m.p.h.
winds that are down the runway. Zooooooooommmmmmm!!!!
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 PM
-Stevo-

With an average wind speed in the summer months of 15mph (and a lot higher during certain times) at my local club you HAVE to learn to fly in the wind or you wouldn't be flying at all. I've flown my cub in winds so bad that with the wheels on the ground and the throttle ar idle, it was rolling backward faster than I could run to catch it. It took about a 1/4 throttle just to keep it in one spot.... of course at a quarter throttle it was airborne and climbing . Like someone else said, the wind just makes things interesting.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:39 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Lots of guys have said it but WIND IS your Friend. A light steady wind is better then no wind in almost all forms of RC.
I personally love to fly certain planes in strong wind it's just more fun.. If you can't fly in the wind you can't fly in OK ..(not very much anyway)
Old 01-07-2004, 07:59 PM
electricfan

on my microsoft flight sim 2002 (full scale planes) i liike to turn up the wind to tornado speed but going in one direction. then i get a cessna skyhawk and hold it in one place with the throttle. then i ease some up elevator on it and its hovering a couple feet from the ground without going anywhere. its pretty fun to watch. i also used to do that with my electric profile plane. if the wind was strong i'd fly up close to me and get the throttle to a point where the plane isnt moving. since its light, it wont fall so i just walk up to it and grab the wing and cut the power. also fun to do and watch. another advantage of wind, like flak said, is going downwind over the runway. it speeds up your plane so fast you'd think you have a pylon racer. well not that fast for me but it could happen.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Skeletor

I agree that the wind can help hone a pilots skills, especially a crosswind. I have also used a steady onshore breeze to fly in one place over the beach a couple times. Once I was watching a younger pilot and his dad flying. He was doing really well until he came in for a landing from over a stand of tall trees with the wind behind him. The down draft slammed his plane right into the ground. When I was flying a pretty hot P-51, I was glad to have a head wind when I landed because I had stalled several times trying to land too slow.
Gusting wind, spring squalls that come onto the coast all of a sudden,,,,, not fun at all.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Covetski

do you really hate wind that much as to post your feelings here? I'm a noob, started a few weeks ago, my first flight was in the wind, my first crash was in calm surroundings . Weird huh?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:43 PM
pooman07

Old 07-30-2004, 12:57 PM
KINGX

Get a Hobbico SuperStar EP (electric powered) , go for the ARF version not the RTF and choose your own radio. This is a good 3channel electric trainer, It is so popular and good that by demand Hobbico is soon about to release a 4channel version with ailerons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.