Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-Flite Super Cub 25e ARF

With my ugly ducklings fixed, I offered to look at Bill Cessna's fallen angel . He describes what happened below:

My cub cartwheeled just after takeoff last week. One of the servo extensions was the culprit. Maybe vibration caused it but just after lift off the left aileron stopped working. A cross wind lifted the left wing some. I tried to level it but without the left aileron to go up the plane would not level. The right one worked but has so little down with that much differential it had no effect. I then thought maybe I had them reversed and tried other direction and further tilted to the right. There was no turning back as the cub was too low and slipped to the right, catching the wing and cartwheeling. I took it immediately to the bench without turning it off and confirmed the left aileron was not working.... Unplugged it and reseated and it started working. Both worked at checkout prior to lifting off. Some damage to fuselage where wings join.. Can be fixed. I know just the person...

The lesson I learned was maybe differential should be a little less so if one side does fail you still have some ability to control the plane. The small amount down bcause of the differential in this case was a factor in the crash.

On the differential... I usually go with 2 to 1 up to down maybe a little less. Not sure of the formula to use but that seems to work dandy

I started peeling back the covering to get a closer look and it doesnt look that bad. I have fixed quite few glow planes and electrics take a litle different approach as I liken the construction, especialy fuselages to a spiderweb of laser cutting. Splits and cracks can easily hide from you as the airframe will "absorb" damage, often splintering between plys, etc. After seeing where the damage was.. i twisted and poked and prodded and grabbed and pulled and tugged but didnt hear antything that sounded like compromised joints or splits. So I feel good the damage is basically what can be seen.

The model had an aluminum tube the wings slid onto with anti-roation pins. Nylon bolts secured wings to fuse. When she carthwheeled the aluminum tube bent a smidge forward on both sides, the nylon didnt give way causing the wings to pull what they were attached to away from the fuse. Pics show damage front to back where the wings seat with one side having more issues. most damage is along the top with one side having a veritical support repair. The toughy will be the firewall. The tolerance of fit is very tight and there is no access from the rear. The upper 50% of the firewall pulled away from the fuse and on first inspecition it's not wanting to just "slip back into place". Bill had matching covering and there is no damage to the red so when done I'm hoping you won't be able to tell unless you saw her go belly up. The replacment wing tube is carbon and both it and the aluminum one slipped through the fuse inside a phenolic tube that spanned the cabin area, attached to both sides. The tube is fine but it needs to be re-attached.

Im going to start on the cabin area first and see what comes to mind on the firewall. The support structure inside the cowl sits flush to the firewall via magnets so there's not much to work with but I know I'll come up with an aha moment when I least expect it. I may be overthinking it and it may just come down to cleaning it up and epoxying back into place.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39369.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	1890284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48653.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	1890285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns44224.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	1890286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tm30708.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1890287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al71206.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	1890288  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eu22188.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	1890289  
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Flite Super Cub 25e ARF

Thanks much for taking this on Mike. Hopefully you can repair the super cub given your talent. I will be following closely to see how it goes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont know about talent... I do have experience but we don't need to discuss how that was attained !
    Hope to do a bit each evening...
    I decided to use Titebond as there is to much to align, etc in the time that epoxy allows and with the repairs being near the windows... an expoxy drip would be disastrous. Cleanup of titebonod would also be much easier (though none was needed Mr Cessna ) and it's just as strong. I startet with the easier of the two sides,

I lucked out... my nice clamps were the perfect fit with the pads removed to span the fuse and apply pressure with a click or two. The sides up at the top of the wing were rather thin and both sides had a vertical crack / crease though not all the way through. I made an 1/8" hard balsa doubler in the main cabin to take care of that. Titebond was added at all contact points where the seperation occured between the fuse side, top and inside formers and I added some fillets where I could get to. Once dry, I'll add the various holes in the doubler for wing tube, wires, anti-rotation peg, etc and repeat for the other side. Some light sanding and black paint on the doublers and you won't even know they're there.

The rear break had a delam in the forward area as well it's main split/crack from the fuse. Some titebond in the delam area and at the break with hard balsa stock over the parchment on both sides to provide even pressure took care of that. Because the main crack was similar to a butt joint with just a small amount over overalp on each piece... I think I'm going to add a small 1/8" balsa backer there as well after din din once the glue sets up.

I use parchment paper as I fouind there is no sticking compared to wax paper. Was paper seems to have much less wax on it from when i was kid and doesn't releae work nearly as well.

Name:	Ig12276.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	1890671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16478.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	1890672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90569.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	1890673  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The left side looks good after holes cut and a little sanding inside and out. Not sure what that dark spot is by one of the holes. The wing tube is a nice snug fit. I beleive a couple drops of CA when the time comes will be all it needs?
    Right side will be more challenging as I took a look at it again. 25th Anniversary today so no work on the cub tonight if I know what's good for me .

Name:	Bz78489.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	1890966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ie98463.jpg 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	1890967  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at side two.. there will be a lot of glueing all at once as well as the challenge of using conopy glue at the same time on the rear window as well.

I started by repairing a couple things that need to be in place before the main gluing. An inside layer of the ply laminate side fuse side had lifted away though this piece was still attached to the main side at the rear of the break being not cracked all the way through, but close. My first post has a pic of this break in the bottom left pic. These are tht three vertical clamps. On the top, there was a thin ply facing that bordered the top window as well as what is used to to attach to the fuse side. these are the horiz clamps. You can see this piece on the opposite side. When they setup, I'll make and apply the 1/8" inside balsa doubler for this side and recut the holes. Once, thats in place then we'll be ready for the final attachment of the right side back in place.

Name:	Hf98780.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	1891293  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guess I am gong to have to research titebond. Never heard of it but seems I could use some huh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No research needed... just a quality yellow wood glue.. home depot, lowes, etc..
    Hoping to take the cub out this weekend.. and will probably throw caution to the wind and bring the N17 too..

I may have yours by Sunday as well.. we'll see... Plan is to glue that right side and rear window all back together tonight...
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glued the right side of the fuse to the various contact point on the main body... formers, etc The main wing area split on each side of the former so I didnt need as large a piece and had the doubler span each side of that former and it has holes where needed. I scalloped the one side where the nylon bolt goes through to secure the wing so the bolt could sit flat. It looks much nicer than that pic as I cleaned it up abit since then. Glued the large sheer at the rear of the cabin. This will require a small tri-stock piece as well as I don't trust lap type joint by tiself. As the inside piece of the break runs right down that rear former, you couldn't ask for a more perfect break to accept the tri-stock. I used the clamp where the side contacts the former to get good pressure and tape on the roof area to keep things snug but not over-do it. I decided I was able to work on the widow later as it's loose to the inside of thigs so that will be easier than I orginally thought. Not seen is some piece of painters tape underneath where the fuse side runs down that same former as it lifted off as well. I will go back after the first glue-up sets and run some fillets on each side. Pic from front shows the fuse angled down a bit though not as much as it really is for some reason as I like to let the glue flow and settle into its own fillet where possible as long as it doesn't pool in one spot.

Name:	Lj22086.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	1891473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi22034.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	1891474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20014.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	1891475  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The upper cabin and wing mount area is back together and the wingtube is in place. I need to reattach the lower portion of the rear small window with a bit of canopy glue and will do that tonight so it can dry overnight. Also paint the balsa used in the fix black.

I was wondering what to do about the top covering. There was a tear in the single sheet along the backbone of plane. Issue was there is nothing to secure the tear to due to the scalloped supports underneath. I was thinking of putting a cross member, unscalloped perpendicular to the main rear spar at the top of the fuse, cut the covering at that point and add a second piece up to the rear of the top window.... but that would look pretty cheesy seeing that cross under the covering. Bill supplied a basically a role of white ultracoate and as I looked at the top, I saw it was a single piece that just overlapped the sides all the way down to the vertical stab. It pulled easily off and I will use it as a template to make a new full piece so it looks correct.

Then its on to the firewall.

Name:	Bz78084.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	1891710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79087.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	1891711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nt46088.jpg 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	1891712  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The firewall may be a challenge......Let's hope it pops back in easily enough.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The firewall is back in. I was able to pull back the covering which was a huge help. I added the broken off tabs at the top with some parchment paper backing to be sure it was square and didn't attach to the fuse before I was ready for it. I needed to scrape off a smidge of glue residue areound the perimeter of the firewall and then also needed to barely knock off the back squared edge with some high grit sandpaper. It was then able to start itself and then pushed right in. There was nothing holding it in other than the perim of the fuse, no tri-stock, no glue fillets on the back side. Since the fit was nice and snug I just CA'd liberaly all around the perimeter. The motor box had a small seperation from the wall on one side so I hit all joints and corners as well. You can pick the plane up by the motor box with no issues and the cowl fits nice.

I started reapplying the covering that I had pulled back from the sides. That went fine. I then noticed a tear in th side top left and that would need to be covered over as there was no hardpoint underneath and I wasnt about to replace the entire side like I plan to do for the top. I didn't realize Mr Cessna gave me Monokote [:'(] and for some reason, the non paper backing of ultra didnt dawn on me... I cut a larger piece to fit around the window and up the side to cover the tear so it wouldn't look like just a patch. Well.. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming out right.. wrinkles.. wouldn't shrink up nice, etc. Then realized the dreaded mono. I abandoned Mono loooong ago and only use Ultra now so I'll get back to the covering tomorrow as I have to do the work I get paid for tonight.

Bill... there is a crackh in the windshield about 1.5 inches long running parallel to the side support angling up to the wing front. Not really noticeable but noticed it when touched that area. The top balsa sheeing over the fiewall had a lengthwise crack front to back as well so it may have taken some stress there. I'll post a pic of it

Name:	Jg14142.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	1892151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76048.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	1892152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20614.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	1892153  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished!
    I didn't have enough Ultra but the Mono worked very well on the top backside as it basically was a straight shot.

I included a pic of the crack in the windshield and that goes down to the skirt sitting on the nose. To me it's no biggie. The very last item is a the little handle on the bottom cabin door to assist in opening it. You can see two holes where it as on the closeup pic. It wast loose and with all the opening and closing, though I tried not to use it much, it just came off. So I'm going to put that back on. I reversed the rear jury on each strut so the airfoil is now pointing forward. The wing tube does not slide easily now but is a little more snug. Bill metioned (I think) that the wings didnt have a "stop" in them, at least not where it should be so the tube was able to slide back and forth a bit with the wings on. Because I wasn't able to cut the holes in the ultra perfectly to go over the cutouts in the fuse, I made many small, short pie shaped cuts and ironed down the small bits of flaps ito the various openings. On the wing tube, this took up just enough space so the Carbon tube slides in and out but stays put. So I'm end of job on this one except for that little hande.

Name:	Cz79742.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	1892345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70618.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	1892346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot49363.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	1892347  
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yippee ! She is coming home tomorrow! Excited to get it back and take it for a spin. Thanks Mike. Nice job to say the least!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the cb back today. Not sure I will ever be able to build and repair as well as Mike. Really looks nice!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And it flies nice also. Took it out yesterday evening and we are back in business... Changed the differential though

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your to kind ..... The cub had another 'accident' again.... after you left.... I uttered something we all know we shouldn't..... one more before I head home ! nothing severe but my warp may be back.
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before CA, Titebond was all I used other than epoxy. Still use it extensively when building.

John
    Take offs are optional, landings are mandatory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Me 2
    Mike -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very good repair work! Yes, Wood Glue is much better than CA (very brittle)!

Yes correct, I am the same person in RCG's with the Pittspecial Handle!!